Moore shopping Wil Myers

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Moore shopping Wil Myers

#1 Post by CubFan »

Perry, saw your post on Bob Dutton's story in the KCStar about Moore shopping Wil Myers. Why are you against trading for Shields or Lester? Is it because they can be controlled for only 2 years vs 6 years of Myers? Not saying I am for trading Myers for either one but wanted to hear your arguments. I too would love to trade him for Price but I don't see the Rays trading a superstar straight up for a minor leaguer, even one as good as Myers. The road is littered with can't miss prospects who eather failed or took forever to reach their potential (exhibit A: Alex Gordon...and he is only a very good player, not a superstar). I've always viewed minor leaguers as trading chips for GMs. Who from TB or Oakland, two teams in need of hitting and have some pitching depth, would be realistic targets? In order of preference Moore, Hellickson, Parker and Anderson (injury prone?).

My preference is for Glass to open his wallet and get Anibal Sanchez. His/Glass stated $70 million payroll ceiling is ludicrous when he is on record as saying he will spend when they are ready to contend. The pieces of the puzzle are there except for the SP. It's now or never. Sam Mellinger had an excellent piece in today's paper http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/27/39 ... rease.html. Greinke is too rich and burned his bridge when he left KC. No one else on the market is worthy of a #2.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Captain Hook

Re: Moore shopping Wil Myers

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

CubFan wrote:Perry, saw your post on Bob Dutton's story in the KCStar about Moore shopping Wil Myers. Why are you against trading for Shields or Lester? Is it because they can be controlled for only 2 years vs 6 years of Myers? Not saying I am for trading Myers for either one but wanted to hear your arguments. I too would love to trade him for Price but I don't see the Rays trading a superstar straight up for a minor leaguer, even one as good as Myers. The road is littered with can't miss prospects who eather failed or took forever to reach their potential (exhibit A: Alex Gordon...and he is only a very good player, not a superstar). I've always viewed minor leaguers as trading chips for GMs. Who from TB or Oakland, two teams in need of hitting and have some pitching depth, would be realistic targets? In order of preference Moore, Hellickson, Parker and Anderson (injury prone?).

My preference is for Glass to open his wallet and get Anibal Sanchez. His/Glass stated $70 million payroll ceiling is ludicrous when he is on record as saying he will spend when they are ready to contend. The pieces of the puzzle are there except for the SP. It's now or never. Sam Mellinger had an excellent piece in today's paper http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/27/39 ... rease.html. Greinke is too rich and burned his bridge when he left KC. No one else on the market is worthy of a #2.
Good questions - let me first say that I am NOT against trading Myers or any other prospect .....BUT you have to get the right piece to trade a very good, young hitter who the team will have under control for a minimum of SIX years. You can't get a Lester who Used to be good - what if what we saw in 2012 was what he is for 2013 and beyond? Glass would then be a laughing stock for years - trade a prized asset for a Name but one without value.

Shields is better but as you suggest has only two (or one) years left on current contract so it would have to be WELL timed - and that is a HUGE part of these prospect trades .... 1) when to trade them; and 2) how much to get BOTH of which have to be concurrent with the state of the MLB team. Thus trading for a pitcher who can only help for a year can't be until you are right THERE in terms of winning the division - IMHO the Royals are getting very close but aren't there yet - now part of that is because of TERRIBLE previous trades - last year was classic..... Good on trading high on Melky, but VERY bad on trading for Jonathan Sanchez. ANY fantasy player could have immediately said - Sanchez? Do you know what his WHIP was? Did you see him pitch? Alas they were mesmerized by the potential strikeouts and thought they could unleash the potential (ludicrous given their selection of pitching coaches at the ML level). So the plan was good - trade surplus hitting for a SP for the rotation but the execution was TURRIBL.

So IF they trade Myers - and again I am not against it ..... they don't want to be like Stoneham and the Angels and have a property aka Brandon Wood circa 2005 that they could get a ton for and not trade him and then not have anything. Now Wil Myers is a much better all around hitter, not as much pop as Wood, but he can play OF and DH without affecting his hitting. So trade Myers if you want to use your best prospect but you damn well better get back a REAL valuable asset (and yes otoh don't pass the opportunity to trade for the right player - Price or Profar or even two lesser say, Hellickson and Davis/or/Niemann.

Bottom line for Royals - they MUST improve their starting pitching THIS year - I am not against the Guthrie signing or the Ervin Santana trade - both could work (but of course might not) and are at okay prices (yes they might have been bidding against themselves for Guthrie's third year but you have to take some chances and not signing him When they had a chance would have IMO been worse).

They DO have help coming on the mound BUT it won't be there this year so trade Myers or better yet some of their very good IF prospects and take a chance you get the right SP .... BUT don't trade him for Lester when all you might get is chicken & beer - or a Shields where your window is not aligned (now it could work but it would only really be for 2014 then you lose him and have nada). DO trade him IF you get an excellent SP that you will have for three years (or more).

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by CubFan »

Yes, there is always that risk that Myers could be a Wood, circa 2005. Agree with your opinion on Lester, especially since word is he lost velocity on his fastball this year.....(don't remind me of my concerns earlier in the year about King Felix :oops: ). Also agree if they trade him they need to be able to control that SP for 3+ years. Thus the interest in Hellickson. Something I just thought of and one has to be aware that part of the success (some may say alot) comes from having Molina behind the plate. He is THE best at framing pitches and just a half dozen or so at the right time can be the difference between winning and losing the game.....the count changes everything. Forgot about Niemann but he is not the #1 or #2 Moore is looking for. Trade a lesser prospect for him or even Cain (starting to think Cain is going to be an injury problem going forward).

Given the multitude of arm problems (surgeries) a number of their top SP in the minors have had I'm becoming more convinced its an organizational thing. Plus, except for Greinke they haven't developed any top notch SP since Appier. So, my confidence in KC developing any of their minor league SP is low. Better off trading them to another organization that knows how to develop SP and get one of theirs in return. Thus the interest in TB's and Oakland's SP.....they know how to develop their talent.

If I were spending Glass's money ( I should be so lucky :lol: ) I'd ante up for Sanchez. No history of arm trouble (same as Shields).

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Good Post Cub Fan ................. but

1) Salvador Perez is one of if not THE best young catchers in the game and while he has to continue to develop to be as good a receiver as any Molina, he will be a better hitter than ALL of them

2) I don't see the injuries - really Lamb sticks out - Montgomery wasn't injured other than maybe mentally but hopefully he bounces back this year - as organizational. But the Royals like all clubs now are more freaked by injuries now and treating the pitchers perhaps too carefully but then when something does materialize be very vigilant and very careful

Unfortunately Anibal or his agent is shooting for the moon - they can't spend more than all the rest of their budget for a guy whose track record is not as good (I would do it for Price but he is not a FA)

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by CubFan »

1) agree with you 1000%. And KC got a huge sweetheart long term deal signed with him. There are a number of teams who'd rather have him than Myers.

2) Duffy and Paulino also had TJ surgery, although Paulino came over in a trade. Nonetheless he tore the ligament under KC's watch. Moore also knew that Duffy had a partial tear of his ligament for a couple of years but they deferred having surgery. That boggles my mind. Noel Arguelles missed all of 2010 due to shoulder surgery.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

old line - not mine - but always true

99.9% of pitchers are in two categories
1) those who have already had arm trouble/surgery
2) those that will have arm trouble/surgery

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Right now, Myers is probably at maximum value - because he's purely speculative. Too many can't misses missed (Pie , Corey Patterson, Loewen, Rowell, Andy Marte, Lars Anderson, Drabek ...you get the point). I don't want Lester at any discount right now. Sheilds? Maybe ...but I think there's better to be had. As for opening up the wallet? The fact they are looking to dump both Hochevar (arb eligible) and Chen (4.5M) to free up salary speaks volumes - signing Guthrie to a back loaded deal isn't indicative of a willingness to spend either.

I'd want Hellickson - but I'd want Moore or Mc Gee in the deal as well. Or ...I'd turn around and offer him to the Giants for Bumgartner and see the response there.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by CubFan »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:Right now, Myers is probably at maximum value - because he's purely speculative. Too many can't misses missed (Pie , Corey Patterson, Loewen, Rowell, Andy Marte, Lars Anderson, Drabek ...you get the point). I don't want Lester at any discount right now. Sheilds? Maybe ...but I think there's better to be had. As for opening up the wallet? The fact they are looking to dump both Hochevar (arb eligible) and Chen (4.5M) to free up salary speaks volumes - signing Guthrie to a back loaded deal isn't indicative of a willingness to spend either.

I'd want Hellickson - but I'd want Moore or Mc Gee in the deal as well. Or ...I'd turn around and offer him to the Giants for Bumgartner and see the response there.
Did I read that right....you're saying Myers for Hellickson PLUS Moore or McGee?

Hadn't thought about the NL but I like the idea of trading for Bumgartner. Team friendly contract and signed through 2015 with team options thereafter. SF is more of a pitcher's park than KC so his numbers likely to inflate, especially since many guys coming over from the NL initially struggle.

Just read an article tonight in the KC Star that said KC offered a $26 million/2 year deal to Dempster http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/29/39 ... rylink=cpy Interesting. Glass saying their break even point is around a payroll of $70 million is totally garbage. Unless he is paying himself and son Dan an annual salary of $10 mil/yr and putting it under "team payroll" they should have around an additional $15-20 mil to spend this year (taken from recent Rany Jazayerli, Jeff Passen, and Sam Mellinger columns within the past few days. Also listened in on an interview with a guy from Baseball Prospectus who believes the Royals have the money to get another FA pitcher and still make a profit.)

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

I think we will know shortly about Mr. Myers - if Royals could snag Dempster (a quality move IMO) that would curtail their pitching expeditions I think (it should they should just move Aaron Crow into the rotation and can replace him if they need to when Duffy or Paulino return).

But there is another rumor out there today moving Myers to the Mets for R.A. Dickey.
While I would hate for the Royals to lose Myers, Dickey makes sense and would give them enough starting pitching to contend this year in the CentrAL

We shall see .....

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by CubFan »

Perry, read that rumored story as well. IMO last year screams "career year". Plus he's only under contract for one more year anyway. I personally would not trade Myers for a 38 year-old SP whose only out pitch is a knuckleball that those who throw it don't know where it's going most of the time. No way he is this effective going to the AL. Won't say he can't be effective but I'd rather trade Myers for a package that includes Hellickson or Moore where they control either one for a number of years. Heck I'd probably trade Myers for Bundy plus a good minor league bat. Rather offer Montgomery and another chip for Dickey.

Yeah, Dempster would be a great signing but looks like he is holding out for more. Would like to ink Sanchez but KC is not going to sign a pitcher for more than 3 years. They truly believe they have the necessary SP in the pipeline. Crow going back to the rotation would be a huge mistake IMO. He was lousy in the minors and he has only 2 plus pitches...fastball and slider. Nothing else is even league average. That's why he's had success in the pen. Heck sign Soria for an incentive laden 1 year deal with a team option in year 2 and move him into the rotation. He's got 3 or 4 plus pitches.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

Have to disagree on Crow - I saw him pitch in college and he was Very Good
have seen him pitch bullpens in the spring and he has enough to succeed IF - but he is also a good relief pitcher so unless he really Wants to start it will be up to Royals and he will be back in the pen

Not sure on Dickey but agree I would try and do that with Starling instead of Myers of Starling plus P, or one of their good MI prospects plus P ..... so I wouldn't trade Myers to get him BUT I would make a strong offer

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

CubFan wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote:Right now, Myers is probably at maximum value - because he's purely speculative. Too many can't misses missed (Pie , Corey Patterson, Loewen, Rowell, Andy Marte, Lars Anderson, Drabek ...you get the point). I don't want Lester at any discount right now. Sheilds? Maybe ...but I think there's better to be had. As for opening up the wallet? The fact they are looking to dump both Hochevar (arb eligible) and Chen (4.5M) to free up salary speaks volumes - signing Guthrie to a back loaded deal isn't indicative of a willingness to spend either.

Did I read that right....you're saying Myers for Hellickson PLUS Moore or McGee?

Hadn't thought about the NL but I like the idea of trading for Bumgartner. Team friendly contract and signed through 2015 with team options thereafter. SF is more of a pitcher's park than KC so his numbers likely to inflate, especially since many guys coming over from the NL initially struggle.

Just read an article tonight in the KC Star that said KC offered a $26 million/2 year deal to Dempster http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/29/39 ... rylink=cpy Interesting. Glass saying their break even point is around a payroll of $70 million is totally garbage. Unless he is paying himself and son Dan an annual salary of $10 mil/yr and putting it under "team payroll" they should have around an additional $15-20 mil to spend this year (taken from recent Rany Jazayerli, Jeff Passen, and Sam Mellinger columns within the past few days. Also listened in on an interview with a guy from Baseball Prospectus who believes the Royals have the money to get another FA pitcher and still make a profit.)
That you did, matey. I wouldn't bark if they wanted to make it Alex Cobb instead ... but Tampa's behind the 8 ball. They don't have a consistent OF bat and they just lost the over rated B.J. Upton. Desmond Jennings, Matt Joyce, Sam Fuld and Rich Thompson? Myers becomes their version of Bryce Harper with a ready made job waiting. They need Myers more than KC needs Hellickson, So I don't see why they shouldn't be encouraged to sweeten the deal. Same thing goes with SF - both of these teams have pitching right now and need at least one OF.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Hoooookay ...er ....Mr. Moore, sir? There is a difference between shopping and giving away. The THREE of them? Guess you better make the playoffs by next year, eh?

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by CubFan »

Gag, puke, scream!!! Dayton what were you thinking :roll: ? Actually I have a pretty good idea of what DM was thinking......it's sink or swim time. He knows his job is on the line so he might as well take a shot now when Myers' value is his highest (agree with big_kid on that). Moore is now on the clock. Glass has approved a team budget of $80 mil. If KC doesn't make the playoffs within this 2 year-window (how long they'll have Shields for) Moore is gone. I also won't be surprised if come the AS break and KC is sinking that Glass instructs Moore to trade Shields. I doubt Glass will want to lose money if they won't contend.

KC needed pitching and they have not done a good job of developing their own talent, thus the need to trade for it (Glass doesn't want to pay up for Sanchez). TB has shown they know how to find and develop young pitchers. I won't be surprised if both Ordorizi and Montgomery thrive. Not overly surprised both of them were packaged as they have Duffy, Paulino, Lamb, Zimmer and Ventura that they are more high on.

KC plans on putting Moore into the rotation. I think that is a mistake. He thrived when placed in relief as his K-rate shot through the roof. Not a big fan of Davis as a SP since he has not shown to be a swing and miss guy. Plus KC is not known for developing pitchers. Thinking his ERA will be north of 4.50 and WHIP around 1.4, pretty much a #4/#5 SP. KC's staff is slightly above league average and they have a chance for a winning record for 2013.

Myers will likely start out in AAA as TB has supposedly never started a rookie on opening day. But I think he'll be up in May. Since his K-rate is a bit high he'll probably struggle initially. If he gets 400 ABs I can see him hitting 15-20 HRs with a .260 BA. While prospects are just that I don't think he'll be another Brandon Wood. I think he can be a 25HR hitter with a .280-290 average.

Tic-Toc.....Dayton, remember you're on the clock.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by CubFan »

FWIW....Royals fans posting on the KCStar article http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/10/39 ... -from.html are unhappy with this trade. Initially it was outrage but recent posters have been more positive. Guess they drank too much Moore's koolaid. :(

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Captain Hook

#16 Post by Captain Hook »

I have commented a few places on the trade. It's not that I don't like Shields or Davis - I think they ARE good additions to the Royals pitching staff .............. BUT it's not like those two are making the rotation even the best in their division when they are adding to Ervin Santana coming off another bad year and Jeremy Guthrie who while he might have pitched well in KC last year pitched poorly elsewhere and is definitely not a sure thing.

But Dayton Moore and his job are ALL IN on making the playoffs in 2013 or 2014 or this trade will look like the poop we think it is.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Todd Zola »

My take is we are once again falling in love with a completely unproven prospect.

What if this were two years ago, and instead of Myers it was Brandon Belt that was traded?

There would have been similar outrage.

Now, two years later, it would have proven to be unwarranted.

Myers and Belt profile very similarly -- minor league BABIP monsters that need to make better contact or they are .260 guys with pop.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

If it were just Myers, I would love this deal for KC ...but it's not just Myers. You put Montgomery and Odorizzi in it too? You should be getting back a pitcher you should have more than two years control over. Wade Davis has good stuff ...but so far it's only proven to have a shelf life of no more than 5 innings max. You don't win by 2014? Shields will leave town if he hasn't already by then and Davis may or may not have become a serviceable starter. Like I said before ...Tampa needs Myers more than KC needed Shields. But Moore let the Rays have their cake and eat it too.