Which second catcher to use

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Which second catcher to use

#1 Post by viper »

This is a decision that can only occur in NL only leagues. My leagues have no benches and once a player comes off the DL, you have a couple of weeks to either activate or cut.

Categories in play are HR, RBI & AVE. All three are real close with upside and downside. The team is in the money hunt. Standard 5x5.

1. Hector Sanchez (SF backup) or
2. David Ross (ATL backup)

YTD
AB/GP: Sanchez leads 137/42 to 102/39
RBI: Sanchez leads 26 to 13
HR: Ross leads 6 to 2
AVG: A dead heat with Sanchez at .285 and Ross at .284. [My Team avg is .2660 but rising as I recently acquired Posey and released a poor hitting backup.]

I'm inclined to go all SF. Does Lawr agree? Does Lord Zola agree? Any others have thoughts?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Which second catcher to use

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Ross - we just traded him in an asterisk deal but we've had him for 2.5 years. He's a pro, he's always ready to play and it just seems he doesn't get very many empty AB's. In his situation, he's hitting .284 and he's slugging .490. That's an impressive number for someone who gets only 1-2 games of ABs a week. And down the stretch? Give me the vet over the kid who hasn't traveled this road before.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Well I agree - Lawr is at band camp this week but I am pretty sure he agrees as well because Sanchez will gain at bats as he regains his timing and the Giants need to rest Posey with games at 1B

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Captain Hook wrote:Well I agree - Lawr is at band camp this week but I am pretty sure he agrees as well because Sanchez will gain at bats as he regains his timing and the Giants need to rest Posey with games at 1B
There is something to be said for this ... there is also something to be said for giving extra ABs to a green kid currently sporting a 10/1 K to BB ratio where the vet is currently sporting a 3/2 ratio.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams