Trade offer received - AL Only

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Trav The Ump

Trade offer received - AL Only

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

Sit in 5th, my roster is below. Standard 5x5, however old school rules so I lose player if he ends up in the NL. Zero compensation.

I've been offered Bailey BOS, Youkilis BOS, Machado BAL for Liriano MIN, Rodriguez TB and Archer TB.

So here are my thoughts; I currently have no active closer unless Balfour falls back into the role however best case scenario Bailey only gets me 2 points. I'm 18 saves behind the third guy ahead of me. Youkilis could end up in the NL which hurts. Machado is a very high prospect from what I'm aware of.

Flip side; I just picked up Liriano and am not enamored with him but if continues going the way he is why wouldn't I hold him?, completely indifferent to Rodriguez but there are no options on the wire if I have to pick up a Youk replacement, Archer by our minor league rules would need to be activated next Sunday if he's not sent down.

I can probably use the two points as I don't want to completely punt saves but if I lose Youk in the deal am I giving up too much?

Captain Hook

Re: Trade offer received - AL Only

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Trav The Ump wrote:Sit in 5th, my roster is below. Standard 5x5, however old school rules so I lose player if he ends up in the NL. Zero compensation.

I've been offered Bailey BOS, Youkilis BOS, Machado BAL for Liriano MIN, Rodriguez TB and Archer TB.

So here are my thoughts; I currently have no active closer unless Balfour falls back into the role however best case scenario Bailey only gets me 2 points. I'm 18 saves behind the third guy ahead of me. Youkilis could end up in the NL which hurts. Machado is a very high prospect from what I'm aware of.

Flip side; I just picked up Liriano and am not enamored with him but if continues going the way he is why wouldn't I hold him?, completely indifferent to Rodriguez but there are no options on the wire if I have to pick up a Youk replacement, Archer by our minor league rules would need to be activated next Sunday if he's not sent down.

I can probably use the two points as I don't want to completely punt saves but if I lose Youk in the deal am I giving up too much?
Well it's an interesting deal................

BUT - are you trying to compete this year?
If so can you do that without taking a chance like this?
Today's rumblings would make the White Sox with their season long gaping hole at third the leading contenders for Youk
I doubt you get much of anything from Bailey this year but in a keeper league he is a nice chip to hold and Machado may be a few years away from Baltimore but has a TON of talent
OTOH you are not giving up much to get the hope for a revitalized Youk and a couple of nice keepers

Trav The Ump

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

As well Archer would be sliding in to replace probably Matsuzaka as I was planning on having Paulino back but that's derailed now. However guys like Scheppers etc are available as middle men with big K rates to slide in if necessary.

I'm tempted, just going to wait and see if anything falls out of the tree before Sunday night to change my mind.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I would make the deal for one reason ...and it is contingent on Youk getting traded ...but if he goes to US Cellular and he's pissed? Oh boy. Bailey is strictly 2013 material right now. Machado is young and raw, but is still developing (he's been way overrated to this point). I agree with you on Liriano and Rodriguez has constantly been a vessel of empty hopes.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Setback for Bailey

Andrew Bailey threw in the bullpen Friday and “it didn’t go perfectly,’’ according to Valentine.

The closer, who is coming back from thumb surgery, will get some extra rest before getting back on the mound. His thumb was not the issue.

“His arm didn’t feel great throwing,’’ said Valentine. “We were accelerating his progress a little and we decided to slow him down.’’
Update on Bailey from Sunday's Boston Globe.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Now that Youk's Sox have gone from Red to White, can you still make this deal?? I hope so, cuz I agree with DBK. Youk is an angry sort of fellow and he's going to want to prove Cherington wrong, or try to at least. Youk likes to go the other way at the plate and Fenway hurts him a bit in that regard, the Cell will be a big boost there.

I disagree however on the Bailey comments. While this setback may prove to be serious, it also may not. If and when Bailey comes back, he will be the closer. 2 months worth of Saves can mean a lot in an only league. Aceves will go to the setup role, or the rotation, upon Bailey's return. We aren't even at the halfway point in the season yet, and Bailey has started throwing from a mound, so I would be willing to risk the fact that he does indeed come back. I don't see a situation where he does come back and isn't the closer. The only risk is whether or not he can get/stay healthy enough.

Trav The Ump

#7 Post by Trav The Ump »

Unfortunately the owner went another way while I was biding my time. Our league standings are still pretty bunched, at some point a team or two will drop out and I'll be able to get a cheap closer. Or at least here's hoping!