B.A. Carriers

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
steve9781

B.A. Carriers

#1 Post by steve9781 »

Just wondering peoples opinion on players who can be used to offset some low B.A. high HR hitters. Only thing is players listed can't be in the top 25.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: B.A. Carriers

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Off the top of my head...

Mauer
Polanco
Doumit
Loney
Ichiro (borderline top-25)
Vlad (fallen out of top-25)
Kendrick
Jeter
Markakis
Cristian Guzman (yes, him)
Ethier
Atkins

GRATUITOUS PLATINUM PLUG -- This is one reason why we provide dollar values broken out by categories, so you can sort by BA$ and note the valuable contributors.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Hambowen

#3 Post by Hambowen »

That is one of my favorite features Todd. Can steer you away from wasted $'s spent at times.

I feel like Polanco is always the guy who is there at the end to help you offset those bad BA guys. Not to mention he is always there to offer you $10+ value for under $10 price tags at the end when trying to fill your MI spot.

steve9781

#4 Post by steve9781 »

[quoteGRATUITOUS PLATINUM PLUG -- This is one reason why we provide dollar values broken out by categories, so you can sort by BA$ and note the valuable contributors.[/quote]

Great point, thanks Todd. Just one question are the values influenced by position or just stricktly a players projection as it relates to the entire player pool. Does each hit any player is projected to get, valued the same. How is the top of the baseline ( Pujols with $14.45 earned ) established. Also when factoring in BA $ earned are the # of AB factored ( ie more AB = more impact on team BA)?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

steve9781 wrote:
Great point, thanks Todd. Just one question are the values influenced by position or just stricktly a players projection as it relates to the entire player pool. Does each hit any player is projected to get, valued the same. How is the top of the baseline ( Pujols with $14.45 earned ) established. Also when factoring in BA $ earned are the # of AB factored ( ie more AB = more impact on team BA)?
The detailed answer to all these questions is explained in the 4-part valuation series and the tutorial posted above the CVRCs.

Cliff Note's version ---

They are influenced by position, but the player pools are such that right now, this season, you only have to break the pool into catcher and non-catcher. Again, details in the essays/tutorial.

And yes, AB are a factor. The player's average is compared to a baseline and that difference is multiplied by the number of AB (or IP for pitchers) -- also explained in full in the essays.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Hambowen

#6 Post by Hambowen »

And yes, AB are a factor. The player's average is compared to a baseline and that difference is multiplied by the number of AB (or IP for pitchers) -- also explained in full in the essays.[/quote]

This is why that tool is so useful because you can see the impact it will have in Average in a $ form. While others look at a 450 ab .300 avg the same as a 550 ab .300 avg. There is a big difference and this gives you that difference in $ value.

IronMarshal

#7 Post by IronMarshal »

Todd Zola wrote:Off the top of my head...

GRATUITOUS PLATINUM PLUG -- This is one reason why we provide dollar values broken out by categories, so you can sort by BA$ and note the valuable contributors.
Todd, that is an excellent idea. We can always keep track of counting stats, but those averages are tougher, especially with the impact of # of ABs and being under the time gun dring the draft. As a Ryan Howard owner (and former CB Young holder too), I am always looking for a way to beef up ave. I have even been high bidder on Pujols for the last two years because of that. I have copied that to my draft sheet to help me come crunch time.