Hows my team looking(H2H)?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
MaestroJay

Hows my team looking(H2H)?

#1 Post by MaestroJay »

8 out of 10 teams make the playoffs (plans fell through around draft time so having to deal with free league pains).So baring some fluke I should make the playofffs as is.However any chance at team improvement I have to take.

C - Weiters
1B - Teixeira
2B - Kipnis
SS - Hanley
3B - Moustakas
OF - Granderson/Heyward/De Aza/Pagan
UTIL - Harper
BN - Altuve/Tulowitzki/Craig
DL - Jennings

SP - Greinke/Bumgarner
RP - Casilla/Freri
P - Morrow/Soriano/Gallardo/Garcia

What it boils down to is I potentially need - 1)offensive bat with some pop/decent average, 2)Starting pitcher who can get W's/K's while not killing me in ratios (health concerns with Garcia and Morrow atleast immediate future) and 3)Closer with decent ratios who can get some saves (may be without Casilla).

Looking at wire

RP -
Romo,Clippard,Downs,McGee,Burnett,Collins,Perkins,Pestano,Farnsworth,Robertson,
SP - Moore,E.Santana,Kuroda,Dempster,Cahill,Billingsley,Volquez,Niese,E.Jackson,Milone,J.Williams,Parker,Oswalt,Eovaldi
Bat - Smoak,Brantley,Freeman,Morneau,Duda,Saunders,Reynolds,I.Davis,Rasmus,Rosario,G.Jones,Frazier,Pena,Middlebrooks

deansdaddy

Re: Hows my team looking(H2H)?

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

With Jennings set to return to action, that makes one of Pagan and De Aza expendable in a league this shallow. I'd keep De Aza, just because I like the overall lineup better. Out of the arms listed I think Matt Moore (i'm assuming it's him) strikes me as the guy I would want to take a chance on. He seems to be figuring things out quickly and no one on that list has his K upside.

Jennings coming off the DL will allow you to slide Tulo on as well, so that should give you another roster spot to play with. I would use that slot to cycle in SP's (esp if it's a daily league) and maximize starts if I could.

Also - I would think real hard about hanging onto Jaime Garcia in a league this shallow. Elbow soreness is never something you want to hear, and he isn't a big K guy to begin with. Why not just swap him out for Kuroda who is in many respects a very similar pitcher in terms of ratios. Yankess always give him a shot at W's as well.

I think I have said it before but in a league this shallow you want to get a lneup you set and forget and use as many spots to accumulate pitching stats> That's my approach usually.

MaestroJay

#3 Post by MaestroJay »

Adding Tulo to dl and taking Jennings off, doesn't give me another slot, as I used that slot when Jennings got on.

Kuroda vs Dempster?

I get the Tulo for Jennings DL swap BUT (deep breath) - I suggested dumping Pagan with the Jennings activation. So that's you extra slot to play with. The thing I don't know for sure is whether you have daily or weekly lineups. If you have weekly lineups, then I guess see the logic in keeping more bats of the bench. If you have daily lineups, then I think you need to load up on pitching. Jennings makes Pagan expendable, IMO, and you should use that slot to add pitching. You still have Craig who can cover you at 1B and OF and you have Altuve as some speed in reserve.

I thought about Dempster, but the lack of W's concerned me. But as Perry suggested - he will be traded as the Cubs retool, so I don't disagree that he makes a nice pickup as well as his other numbers have been solid so far even as the wins haven't been there..

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:Adding Tulo to dl and taking Jennings off, doesn't give me another slot, as I used that slot when Jennings got on.

Kuroda vs Dempster?
What Ryan suggested was trading in Garcia for Kuroda

As far as Dempster's future value that will depend on where he gets traded

Is there a league rule you need to make at least one transaction per week?
You seem reluctant to play your current team in any given week even when there are not any clear upgrades

MaestroJay

#5 Post by MaestroJay »

It's not reluctancy to play team as is, it's looking for ways to improve team for rest of season.I don't even make that many moves, just look for the oppurtunities to attempt to. Eight teams make the playoffs, so I'm trying to improve for that stretch run moreso than anything.

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Adding Tulo to dl and taking Jennings off, doesn't give me another slot, as I used that slot when Jennings got on.

Kuroda vs Dempster?

I get the Tulo for Jennings DL swap BUT (deep breath) - I suggested dumping Pagan with the Jennings activation. So that's you extra slot to play with. The thing I don't know for sure is whether you have daily or weekly lineups. If you have weekly lineups, then I guess see the logic in keeping more bats of the bench. If you have daily lineups, then I think you need to load up on pitching. Jennings makes Pagan expendable, IMO, and you should use that slot to add pitching. You still have Craig who can cover you at 1B and OF and you have Altuve as some speed in reserve.

I thought about Dempster, but the lack of W's concerned me. But as Perry suggested - he will be traded as the Cubs retool, so I don't disagree that he makes a nice pickup as well as his other numbers have been solid so far even as the wins haven't been there..