Rodney.....is the clock about to strike midnight?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Rodney.....is the clock about to strike midnight?

#1 Post by CubFan »

I've read all the stuff as to how Rodney has been able to muster up the best 2 months of his career but are you a believer going forward? Since I didn't pay for saves in our auction I cobbled together some temporary closers in he and Janssen when they first got their chances. After Rodney blew his first save chance tonight I'm wondering if he is about to turn into a pumpkin. So, is it just a bump in the road or would you be looking to sell high here? And what kind of closer could I realistically get for him straight up? I really like Frieri and Addision but Addison has had a few big burps recently and who knows if Frieri will hold onto the job so I can't see doing either straight up.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Captain Hook

Re: Rodney.....is the clock about to strike midnight?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I think just a bump in the road - he still has the gig and the confidence of his manager - it is after all in a year of uncertainty his first real blemish

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

As far as Frieri goes, you have to think that ANA still wants Walden to eventually earn that job back. Frieri was not used in any high leverage situations in SD, and there has to be a reason for that. Also, its the 1st time AL batters have had a look at him.

I think its a committee in ANA until Walden earns his job back. If he's unable to do that, there's a good chance they trade for someone. After all, its W.S. or bust for this team after the offseason that they had.

--------

True this is Rodney's first hiccup, but these were the vintage hiccups he's been known for (a BB then a HR, game over). Maddon doesn't seem like the type of guy to Wally Pipp someone. When Farnsworth is ready, he'll be the guy. He's begun a throwing program so barring a setback, he should be back well before July.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

With Rodney, the sign to know when his 15 minutes are up is quite simple -- track his walks.

For his career, he is at 4.7 BB/9.

Last season he was 7.9.

In 2012, it is a microscopic 1.5.

Last night, Nava walked preceding Salty's blast, but he earned his BB, as it was an 8-pitch affair.

Basically saying it was not like Rodney was all over the place Nava fouled of 2 tough pitches before ball four.

All this said, do I think Rodney will keep up a 1.5 BB/9?

No -- but he doesn't have too either. So long as the correction does not come all at once and is spread out, Rodney's grip on the gig is secure.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Todd Zola wrote:
No -- but he doesn't have too either. So long as the correction does not come all at once and is spread out, Rodney's grip on the gig is secure.
So you don't think farnsworth gets his job back?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:
So you don't think farnsworth gets his job back?
I suppose it would have been better to say "grip until Farnsworth returns is secure", though I don't think it is a 100% given that Farnsworth is handed the job either - whenever he comes back which is still a mystery.

That said, these things have a funny way of working out on their own, which means the pixie dust will run out just as Farnsworth is back, making the transition smoother.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Also keep in mind that Farnsworth is a 36 year old who is in his walk year ... Tampa may send him off for a piece to their puzzle if he shows something by then. After all, they are almost playing .600 ball without him in the AL East no less.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

AllstonRockCity

#8 Post by AllstonRockCity »

True Kid, they might. But, that seems more like a "sellers" move and they will no doubt be buyers. Afterall, a strong bullpen is a huge key to postseason success.

And christ, the way they're playing what do they even need? They're stacked. I suppose an upgrade at any of 2b, SS, OR 1B would help but certainly don't appear to be necesary.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

AllstonRockCity wrote:True Kid, they might. But, that seems more like a "sellers" move and they will no doubt be buyers. Afterall, a strong bullpen is a huge key to postseason success.

And christ, the way they're playing what do they even need? They're stacked. I suppose an upgrade at any of 2b, SS, OR 1B would help but certainly don't appear to be necesary.
So why do they need to keep Farnsworth around for? Why not trade him and get something for him if he shows something - plenty of teams need bullpen help. And even as buyers, the cost may be a guy they don't have under contract next year. Unless they hit a slump, I wouldn't change very much were I Maddon ...and that includes changing closers just because Farnsworth makes it back.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

AllstonRockCity

#10 Post by AllstonRockCity »

My point is that getting farnsworth back strengthens their pen regardless of whether he's the closer or not.

Learning to throw a cutter has totally revived his career and made him someone who's actually good. Which is just crazy, but true.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

AllstonRockCity wrote:My point is that getting farnsworth back strengthens their pen regardless of whether he's the closer or not.

Learning to throw a cutter has totally revived his career and made him someone who's actually good. Which is just crazy, but true.
And my point is you have no guarantee he will have anywhere near that mastery when he gets back ....if he gets back. What he has done in the past means nothing if that 36 year old arm of his doesn't respond. if it does, great - then he might be trade bait - they haven't exactly floundered without him. And if it doesn't respond? 2013 - Kyle Farnsworth has signed a minor league deal with the .... with an invitation to spring training."

AllstonRockCity

#12 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Ok. I can agree with that.

But, my guess is that if he's ok he's pitching high leverage situations for the rays.