Dynasty Trade Help?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
everydayj

Dynasty Trade Help?

#1 Post by everydayj »

I'm in a 5X5 Dynasty style league with OBP instead of BA. The format allows you to keep a player for the value that he was drafted one, one year after that at the same price and then after that, you have the option to sign him at a long term contract which adds $3 for every year that you extend him. In this league, I drafted Miguel Cabrera at $28 which is a relative steal compared to some of the other high priced stars (Pujols went for over $50).

I've been approached for Miggy and the offer is a $1 Mike Trout. While there are other pieces that will likely end up being involved due to salary purposes, my main question is which you think is more valuable over the long term. Miggy is obviously a known commodity and a solid value. I could probably keep him through the rest of his useful career. However, Trout could be the most valuable player in the league at a dollar if he truly ends up being the fantasy monster that people expect him to be. After his second year, I could conceivably sign him for 10 years at $31 a year.

I obviously wouldn't have anybody of Miggy's caliber to replace him in the line-up so I'd likely be giving up on the year in a way.

Thoughts?

The rest of my roster:

C Matt Wieters, Bal C
1B Carlos Pena, TB 1B
2B Dan Uggla, Atl 2B
3B Kevin Youkilis, Bos 3B
SS Zack Cozart, Cin SS
2B/SS Jhonny Peralta, Det SS
1B/3B Miguel Cabrera, Det 1B, 3B
OF Michael Cuddyer, Col 1B, OF
OF Coco Crisp, Oak OF
OF B.J. Upton, TB OF
OF Nick Swisher, NYY OF
OF Raul Ibanez, NYY OF, DH
UTIL Billy Butler, KC DH
UTIL David Ortiz, Bos DH
Bench Derek Jeter, NYY SS
Bench Dexter Fowler, Col OF
Bench Rajai Davis, Tor OF
Bench Elliot Johnson, TB SS

PITCHERS:
P James Shields, TB SP
P Joel Hanrahan, Pit RP
P Ryan Dempster, ChC SP
P Jordan Zimmermann, Wsh SP
P Josh Beckett, Bos SP
P Addison Reed, CWS RP
P Kenley Jansen, LAD RP
P Carlos Zambrano, Mia SP
P Matt Garza, ChC SP
Bench Daniel Bard, Bos RP, SP
Bench Drew Smyly, Det SP
Bench Jarrod Parker, Oak SP
DL Brett Anderson*, Oak SP

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

Re: Dynasty Trade Help?

#2 Post by alleyoops »

What is MC's current salary and contract? You have a good team for this year, and although Trout will probably be pretty good this year, you're taking a hit for at least the next few years. I'd be hesitant to sign Trout for 10 years, as well. If you sign him for 5 or 6, you'll probably have great profit for those years, but if you sign him for 10, you'll have (at best) relatively small profit for all of those years.

The math probably favors doing the deal, unless you have MC locked up at 28 for quite a while.