Johnny Giavotella

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Johnny Giavotella

#1 Post by aburt19 »

The Royals recalled Johnny Giavotella today from the minor leagues where he was batting .331 with 5 HR and 25 RBI
in 31 games. The Royals weren't happy with his defense last year and appeared to want him to improve on defense
when he was sent down.

The question is whether he is worth picking up or is just up for a short time until Betancourt comes back from his sprained
ankle? The context is a 10 team AL only league. I've got Jamey Carroll at MI and in addition to the fact that he is well, Jamey
Carroll, the call up of Brian Dozier may mean fewer AB.

Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Johnny Giavotella

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

When Giavotella was sent down, I dropped him to about 50% playing time hitting lower in the order, about 50% playing time.

If pressed, my "prediction" would have been take the over.

Obviously, this is assuming he hits, but if he does, the job is Giavotella's.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

I like Giovatella and he can definitely hit.....obviously the Royals need more offense (in addition to a whole new pitching staff) but Johnny had a good first month and put in the work and obviously they think he can help and will give him some at bats and see what happens.

DON'T assume he will get you full time at bats in the short term
(but then again how much does he have to play to contribute more than a Carroll who is losing playing time)

aburt19
Major League Elite

#4 Post by aburt19 »

The official word from the Royals is that he will play primarily against left handed pitchers.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#5 Post by CubFan »

Don't blow your FAAB on him. Yost still prefers Getz at 2B for his defense. Beginning to wonder if they have soured on Giavotella. Might as well trade him since he's hitting as he'll lose trade value if they continue shuttling him back and forth. And from reading between the lines in the KC Star article it won't surprise me if he gets sent back down went Bentancourt comes off the DL. For some reason they are in love with him. They like the pop in his bat and versatility.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

aburt19
Major League Elite

#6 Post by aburt19 »

CubFan wrote:Don't blow your FAAB on him. Yost still prefers Getz at 2B for his defense. Beginning to wonder if they have soured on Giavotella. Might as well trade him since he's hitting as he'll lose trade value if they continue shuttling him back and forth. And from reading between the lines in the KC Star article it won't surprise me if he gets sent back down went Bentancourt comes off the DL. For some reason they are in love with him. They like the pop in his bat and versatility.
I don't understand the love for Betancourt. His career OPS is .6843.

AllstonRockCity

#7 Post by AllstonRockCity »

aburt19 wrote:
CubFan wrote:Don't blow your FAAB on him. Yost still prefers Getz at 2B for his defense. Beginning to wonder if they have soured on Giavotella. Might as well trade him since he's hitting as he'll lose trade value if they continue shuttling him back and forth. And from reading between the lines in the KC Star article it won't surprise me if he gets sent back down went Bentancourt comes off the DL. For some reason they are in love with him. They like the pop in his bat and versatility.
This is why they are the KC Royals. 8-)

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#8 Post by CubFan »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
aburt19 wrote:
Exactly. Many Royal's fans have hollered loud and clear that the front office doesn't get the idea of OBP and OPS. It's been going on for the last couple of decades. Giavotella is not much different as his OBP last year when he was with the Royals was less than .300.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

aburt19
Major League Elite

#9 Post by aburt19 »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
aburt19 wrote:
Exactly. Many Royal's fans have hollered loud and clear that the front office doesn't get the idea of OBP and OPS. It's been going on for the last couple of decades. Giavotella is not much different as his OBP last year when he was with the Royals was less than .300.[/quote]

But Giavotella's number were over about 150 AB and his minor league numbers would indicate that his OBP is likely to improve.
Betancourt's numbers are for at least 5 years and are unlikely to improve dramatically.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#10 Post by aburt19 »

Just to show how much the Royals don't want Giavotella at 2B, Getz got hurt and hasn't played Thursday or Friday.
But Giavotella DHd both nights (Hosmer was given a two game break) and Falu played 2B. Unless Giavotella hits something
like .350, he's not going to play 2B at the major league level this year.