Pick one - Balfour,Robertson,Downs

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
MaestroJay

Pick one - Balfour,Robertson,Downs

#1 Post by MaestroJay »

Who do you like of Balfour,Robertson and Downs?

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Re: Pick one - Balfour,Robertson,Downs

#2 Post by Black Sox »

Robertson and it's not even close. Skills are elite unlike the other two, and I'd gamble he's a top 10 closer rest of the way. Balfour might lose his job via trade and I don't think Downs keeps the job long term. If I had to rank them...

Robertson Balfour Downs
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Black Sox wrote:Robertson and it's not even close. Skills are elite unlike the other two, and I'd gamble he's a top 10 closer rest of the way. Balfour might lose his job via trade and I don't think Downs keeps the job long term. If I had to rank them...
Except that Robertson doesn't have a gig by himself right now - he might have - he might split with Soriano - Girardi might go with hot hand or alternate - we just don't know

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:Who do you like of Balfour,Robertson and Downs?
Today
Downs
Balfour
Robertson

Tomorrow? Who knows??
although today for ROS I would go
Balfour
Robertson
Downs

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

I agree with Perry

To paraphrase a popular saying, possession 90% of the closer's job and right now, Downs has the strongest possession of the job.

This could change if Girardi comes out and says D-Rob is his man, but until then we don't know.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by Black Sox »

Captain Hook wrote:
Black Sox wrote:Robertson and it's not even close. Skills are elite unlike the other two, and I'd gamble he's a top 10 closer rest of the way. Balfour might lose his job via trade and I don't think Downs keeps the job long term. If I had to rank them...
Except that Robertson doesn't have a gig by himself right now - he might have - he might split with Soriano - Girardi might go with hot hand or alternate - we just don't know
Everything you said is correct, the problem is most of the time these decisions need to be made on the spot with incomplete information. I could totally see Girardi going with Soriano under the he's done it before, but when I have to guess, I always go with the better skills.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

MaestroJay

#7 Post by MaestroJay »

My other 3 closers are - Marshall/Guerra/Casilla does that change who the better choice for me would be?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Black Sox wrote:
Captain Hook wrote:
Everything you said is correct, the problem is most of the time these decisions need to be made on the spot with incomplete information. I could totally see Girardi going with Soriano under the he's done it before, but when I have to guess, I always go with the better skills.
This is exactly what we are (trying to) talk about in the Raund Table this week - perhaps i should pull the quotes from here 8-)

Opting for the job today versus skills is 100% league contextual and dependent on your degree of need.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by Black Sox »

It might for others, but not for me. With your list of closers it looks like u waited this year ( good strategy considering all the turn over ) so for me I'd try to hit the home run rather than just get by. I mean if Balfour & Downs are still available now they should be there later when we get a better idea for how saves play out in NY. However I doubt the Rivera owner in your league waits though.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

Black Sox wrote:It might for others, but not for me. With your list of closers it looks like u waited this year ( good strategy considering all the turn over ) so for me I'd try to hit the home run rather than just get by. I mean if Balfour & Downs are still available now they should be there later when we get a better idea for how saves play out in NY. However I doubt the Rivera owner in your league waits though.
One could argue this is EXACTLY what I am talking about -- this is league contextual, based on the lower level closers there, etc.

In a league that uses waiver priority where you fall to the bottom, their level of desperation may be greater -- can they afford to wait until they are back on top of the priorities?

MaestroJay

#11 Post by MaestroJay »

i had/have Balfour I'm just looking at the 12.64 era 2.31 whip and 2 saves in the past 14 days as worrisome. Guerra is in similar shape, but I already missed the boat on Jansen there.

deansdaddy

#12 Post by deansdaddy »

Chris Sale :lol:

MaestroJay

#13 Post by MaestroJay »

I already had Sale so saves me that decision is this a permanent move or just lower work load on arm? Any concern long terms about the elbow that could influence what i need to do with Balfour? As right now my staff looks like this:

SP - Greinke,Bumgarner,Morrow,Garcia
RP - Balfour,Guerra,Sale,Marshall,Casilla

Do I ride this a week to see how long Sale lasts at closer, before i consider swapping Balfour for a SP or do I go ahead and make the switch now?

AllstonRockCity

#14 Post by AllstonRockCity »

i try to trade balfour as soon as he gets his next save. sale will keep that job. balfour has a good chance to lose his.

Captain Hook

#15 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:I already had Sale so saves me that decision is this a permanent move or just lower work load on arm? Any concern long terms about the elbow that could influence what i need to do with Balfour? As right now my staff looks like this:

SP - Greinke,Bumgarner,Morrow,Garcia
RP - Balfour,Guerra,Sale,Marshall,Casilla

Do I ride this a week to see how long Sale lasts at closer, before i consider swapping Balfour for a SP or do I go ahead and make the switch now?
Stay as you are
Sale the closer for the rest of the year Unless he is injured

MaestroJay

#16 Post by MaestroJay »

SP available are:

Maholm,Alvarez,Smyly,Samardzija,Floyd,Blanton,Capuano,Jerome Williams,Kuroda,Bedard,Dempster,Parker,Cahill,Zambrano,Lowe

Captain Hook

#17 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:SP available are:

Maholm,Alvarez,Smyly,Samardzija,Floyd,Blanton,Capuano,Jerome Williams,Kuroda,Bedard,Dempster,Parker,Cahill,Zambrano,Lowe
That's an awful lot of good SP to be available.............is there a league/format reason?

Of the group I especially like Parker and Smyly
BUT Capuano has two great outings in a row and also has a good home park; Williams has pitched very well and LAA should be winning more games; Samardzija will occassionally throw in a clunker but strikes out a lot of batters and I think has real upside; Dempster has also been very good but the club lost some of this Wins

MaestroJay

#18 Post by MaestroJay »

It's a 10 team H2H mixed.The problem obviously with 4 sp and 5 rp is dependent on the matchup I could be at a disadvantage volume wise, with no real slot for streaming that I can tell.Which is why I'm wondering if Sale is long term closer that i can afford moving a RP for a starter.Though save wise this week Axford at 1 has the same number as my Balfour,Marshall,Guerra,Casilla combined.

Captain Hook

#19 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:It's a 10 team H2H mixed.The problem obviously with 4 sp and 5 rp is dependent on the matchup I could be at a disadvantage volume wise, with no real slot for streaming that I can tell.Which is why I'm wondering if Sale is long term closer that i can afford moving a RP for a starter.Though save wise this week Axford at 1 has the same number as my Balfour,Marshall,Guerra,Casilla combined.
Yes the White Sox think today that Sale is the long term closer - certainly presumed for the balance of the year

MaestroJay

#20 Post by MaestroJay »

Missed the boat on Capuano and Samardzija. Do you like Williams/Smyly/Parker over Balfour in H2H? Papelbon was dropped and i have #1 wire slot do you like Papelbon over one of Guerra/Marshall/Casilla?

Captain Hook

#21 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:Missed the boat on Capuano and Samardzija. Do you like Williams/Smyly/Parker over Balfour in H2H? Papelbon was dropped and i have #1 wire slot do you like Papelbon over one of Guerra/Marshall/Casilla?
I like Papelbon over all of your current closers

(and not sure this/isn't the same thread but White Sox take the lead in the top of the 9th today - so go to the bottom of the 9th for pitching change and new pitcher is..........Hector Santiago :o

MaestroJay

#22 Post by MaestroJay »

I read somewhere they were resting Sale for the weekend (due to the arm, which is why he was moved to the closer role) and coming back Monday.

Who do you like switching to Papelbon and who do you like switching to 1 of J.Williams/Smyly/Parker of Guerra/Marshall/Balfour/Casilla?

Captain Hook

#23 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:I read somewhere they were resting Sale for the weekend (due to the arm, which is why he was moved to the closer role) and coming back Monday.

Who do you like switching to Papelbon and who do you like switching to 1 of J.Williams/Smyly/Parker of Guerra/Marshall/Balfour/Casilla?
Weakest of those IMO is Marshall, then Balfour so I would switch one to Pap and discard the other for
1) Smyly
2) Parker
3) Williams

MaestroJay

#24 Post by MaestroJay »

Smyly was picked up already, Order of preference - Parker,Milone,Williams,Bedard,Alvarez,Arrieta?

Captain Hook

#25 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:Smyly was picked up already, Order of preference - Parker,Milone,Williams,Bedard,Alvarez,Arrieta?
Parker
Williams
Alvarez
_______
Bedard (and get out the worry beads - more health than performance
Arrieta

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#26 Post by Todd Zola »

With so many viable options, I personally go Bedard and replace him when he gets hurt.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#27 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:With so many viable options, I personally go Bedard and replace him when he gets hurt.
Concur ... not many people know Bedard was a 4 on the Shandler scale last year (or a six on mine). As for Pappy ... well ... if someone dumped him, why shouldn't you take an early Christmas (how ironic given Todd's latest column, eh)?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams