Ross & Hutchinson

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Ross & Hutchinson

#1 Post by viper »

In my no-bench AL-only league, I purchased Baker & Pineda at the auction. This is not a good thing but it is also history and I cannot change it. From FAAB I added Garcia (ouch!) and now plan to jettison him.

I am looking to make significant bids on Tyler Ross & Drew Hutchinson. Neither has had great starts but they seem to be average or above average pitchers. Of the 8 pitchers available, when you exclude Ross, 6.39 in the best available ERA and 1.8 is the best available WHIP. The cupboard is bare. I have just 4 SPs and there is a minimum IP requirement of 1100. I need reasonable SPs.

Thoughts on Ross and Hutchinson would be appreciated. Looking for any thought by Lawr on Ross. I suspect he has seen him.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

Re: Ross & Hutchinson

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Well Lawr may have seen him more in the past but I think I saw him more this spring - which is why I drafted him on several teams - B4 the season started

I would go get him for sure (there was a danger he would fall victim to Oakland bringing up some of the [even] younger guns [although today was only his 25th birthday] but with Godfrey sent down Parker who was first in line will take that slot and as long as Ross pitches effectively I think he stays in the rotation - and you want Oakland pitchers if they have talent

Hutchison's start was the first I have seen him and I wouldn't add off what I saw - doesn't mean he won't grow into an effective pitcher just not sure he is ready in the AL Beast...........but obviously depends on your other choices.

If you don't find a SP you want to add and Duane Below is still available I think that is a good play. I consider him first in line if they need to make another change (hopefully Leland agrees)

deansdaddy

Re: Ross & Hutchinson

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

I responded to this, but I guess didn't hit submit.

I voted for Ross. Like the ballpark and his chances of sticking better than Hutchinson's. Dustin McGowan will be back soon to claim that number 5 spot soon enough. Brett Cecil also more likely to get an extended look over Hutchinson if it came to that. I think this was a one shot deal here for the rookie. They gave him a taste and now send him back to continue to grow.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: Ross & Hutchison

#4 Post by viper »

to finish the story. I was too damn tired to wait for responses and went to bed around 10:30. [Note to self - when asking for suggestions, ask earlier in the day]

I made moderately high bids on both and won both. Had I read the PVH reply, I probably would have lowered my bid for Hutchison. I needed most of my bid to acquire Ross but significantly overdid it for Hutchison. Still, I wanted both and would have likely been unhappy not getting them both. [An aside here - Doughboy's "Shell Answer Man" blog on the NFBC board has a nice section about overbidding on player's you want].

Playing in no-bench AL-only & NL-only leagues clearly gives you a different perspective to FAAB bidding.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer