Top prospects for a 1st year league

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
deaccat

Top prospects for a 1st year league

#1 Post by deaccat »

Does anyone care to share thier list or direct me to a list of the top prospects that should be drafted in a 5 round minor league draft. I am in a mixed league which will end up being between 15-18 teams deep. This is our first year so everyone is available to us and this is my first year playing so I am not up on things but am trying to research and learn what strategies I should employ and which players I should target. In this case I am not sure if I should target players who will have potential quick call ups reaping possible quick returns or go for high upside players who may be a few years away hoping they make it and thus get a larger return. i assume the latter is in my best interest. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Top prospects for a 1st year league

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It really depends on the overall set-up of the league and your plans within that set-up. What are the keeper rules? Will it be a league with a lot of player turnover or more like a dynasty format where you keep players for longer? Do you want to win this season or plan to build a team that will dominate for several years?

Just my personal take -- if it is more a keeper league where there will be fresh talent in the pool each draft, I am OK with competing one year, rebuilding the next and alternating, thus my focus is short term and I will deal for keepers later. If it is more dynasty, where you keep players longer and there is not really stud talent available every draft, my focus is more long term.

Further down in this forum, there is a post by Shawn Carey on his top-50 prospects, that is a great place to start. Shawn will be contributing some added content to our Platinum subscription package.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

Re: Top prospects for a 1st year league

#3 Post by Tampa Bob »

An answer would benefit by knowing more about your league rules. Do you consider a prospect someone that opens the year in the minors or someone that retains Rookie of the Year eligibility?

For example, in my league this year it appears that Phil Hughes and Jed Lowrie might open the season in the minors and so would be eligible for our Minor League draft despite having surpassed the ROY numbers.

Todd's correct - reviewing Shawn's top 50 is an excellent start.