How do you find players to add?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

How do you find players to add?

#1 Post by alleyoops »

It seems that competing owners sometimes do a better job than me, in finding guys who are worth adding each week. I check Rotoworld religiously, but it's easy to miss a few significant happenings if you fail to check it at the time the news hits.

Wondering what sources folks use to identify guys who they may want to add each week? I'm hoping that MB provides something in this area, but even if they do, other sources would be nice to know.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: How do you find players to add?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

What commissioner service runs your league?

My #1 source is the free agent mechanism with each league -- sorting by AB/IP for that week. I'll then do my due diligence on actual players that are available as opposed to finding a player and seeing if he is available.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#3 Post by alleyoops »

2 leagues use Onroto, and 1 uses CBS. I do use the FA lists on each, usually sorting by AB or IP. But these show ytd stats or stats for the last period or two. In some cases, the best time to "find" a free agent is when they have not yet logged significant AB or IP (or SV in the case of new closers). You, and folks who are in the industy, do a lot of networking, and are always aware of role and playing time changes soon after the change happens, or is about to happen. Those of us who have little time to devote to following "news" don't always know these things. So we rely on Rotoworld or similar sites for news, but even then, it is easy to miss things.

As an example, for the last couple of weeks, I used the Platinum projections here, which highlight changes in projected AB or IP each week. This week they showed Wieland with a significant increase, so I went to Rotoworld and found the news on him, which I had not seen.

Perhaps there are places which advise guys who might be added each week? I did find something on CBS, where a guy writes about risers and sliders, or something like that. These kinds of things are helpful, but I haven't found any (or a few) that I mark and look at weekly. Hoping that others here might use those kinds of sources (or anything else). Of course, I understand that folks may not want to share their sources with league members who follow this site.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

The main problem is this is not a one-size-fits-all question as leagues come in all shapes and sizes, not to mention rules. The reason I rely on my league's free agent list is the vast majority of leagues I am in require the player to be on the 25-man roster at the time of acquisition, so by sorting for the last week's worth of playing time, these new players will be filtered.

Maybe focusing on a source of JUST TRANSACTIONS and not all news may help call-ups from slipping through the cracks?

www.mlbdepthcharts.com (which is bridging into fantasy) has a list of just transaction at the lower right-handed portion of their site. You can then use their site to see where the "project" the player in terms of starter and bench player to give a fist blush idea of how much they will play. There is also a running list of what look to be tweets that offer a little bit of insights.

Sites like mlb.com also list just the transaction, but mlbdepth charts do offer just a little more in terms of fantasy.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Big Mike

#5 Post by Big Mike »

The single best tip I've ever gotten in H2H was to sign up for Twitter. That way news of changes in situations (e.g., Brian Wilson elbow) comes to you rather than having to search it out. Yes, you still have to filter it, but I've found that getting the news coming to you first gets the jump on the competition.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Big Mike wrote:The single best tip I've ever gotten in H2H was to sign up for Twitter. That way news of changes in situations (e.g., Brian Wilson elbow) comes to you rather than having to search it out. Yes, you still have to filter it, but I've found that getting the news coming to you first gets the jump on the competition.
VERY GOOD advice Big Mike.............I would add that what you can do to minimize is to sign up for the teams where you have players or want the news AND to sign up for the MLB.com writer for each team - they have the news as soon as anyone else (sometimes insight earlier) AND they can alert you to articles they have that have not posted yet - for instance Steve Gilbert who covers the Diamondbacks tweeted yesterday morning that he would be posting an article later in the day that Josh Collmenter would be given one more start on Thursday and then the spot in the rotation re-evaluated

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

As a corollary to information already posted, may I suggest the following site;

http://espn.go.com/mlb/debuts

This is ESPN's Newcomer site ... a record of those players who have made their major league debut this season (you're welcome, Wolfie). By looking at who's new and, by doing some backtracking analysis (e.g., Is this player coming up due to an injury? Did someone get sent down from the 25 man for perfomance? etc.), you may be able to mine a few nuggets here from names that may not be totally recognizable at first glance.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Pauly
Triple-A

#8 Post by Pauly »

I always start by looking @ the roster trends on cbs. I think it updates every 4 hours or something. knowing what players are being grabbed across all leagues and formats certainly doesnt hurt and it leads you off in the correct direction.