Josh Johnson

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
bxm701

Josh Johnson

#1 Post by bxm701 »

Just opening the floor for any insight...

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Re: Josh Johnson

#2 Post by Black Sox »

Here's all I can say....

1. Everything I've heard ( I live down here ) and read is that his arm/shoulder is fine and this is a control issue that he feels will work itself out the more he pitches.

2. I just traded for him. In my 10 team mix I traded Melky for him straight up. I'm happy with the deal and think I got a steal. Guess we'll see.....
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

bxm701

#3 Post by bxm701 »

We'll see...hopefully we're both right. I own him and thought I got a steal at the draft as well.

What has me worried is the fact that he seems to be refusing to throw his slider...

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

My personal feeling is that Johnson is still not right - whether he ever gets there again we don't know and you really don't care IF he can continue to pitch without having a procedure but he is NOT what we hoped for and I don't think he will be - at least this year

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#5 Post by Black Sox »

Well for my sake I hope you wrong this time :lol: I will say it was a long layoff and he looked good in spring training and he's insisting there is no soreness or pain so it's reasonable to hope this is mechanical and can be straighted out. I guess we'll see. In my case I can live with losing Melky for a chance at a major upgrade to my pitching.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - I kind of agree with you both. I targeted and drafted Johnson as an SP3/4 on a bunch of teams - with the belief that you were possibly getting another SP 1/2 arm at a discount. After watching his early starts - I have serious doubts he is going to reach those heights this year. However, his velocity hasn't been terrible, he just hasn't had much movement on the fastball AND he seems reluctant to throw the slider. He looks healthy - just scared to throw that key pitch. So - while I doubt he gives me the return that I was looking for - I still think he will be able to provide SP3/4 type numbers. That said - a DL stint fairly early in the year wouldn't surprise me either.

bxm701

#7 Post by bxm701 »

How'd he look tonight? Throwing the slider?

deansdaddy

#8 Post by deansdaddy »

Haven't watched the replay - but looking at the charts he did throw the slider more in this game. Velocity is still down slightly on the FB from years past. The interesting thing I am seeing is that he is throwing his change up WAY more than he has in the past. Still, it has to be considered a step in the right direction - he worked deep into the game and limited the damage from the baserunners he let on.