10 Team H2H - Any concern after a .180 team avg week 1?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
MaestroJay

10 Team H2H - Any concern after a .180 team avg week 1?

#1 Post by MaestroJay »

10 Team 5x5 Mixed H2H

My team underperomed (1 hitter above .235) the first week, and I lost my matchup to the team that had Howard/Chipper/Oswalt/Feliz in their lineup that did nothing,and Rivera with the 54.00 era/15.00 Whip.How much of the underperformance is legit cause of concern, or am I being short term oriented due to the lightning in a bottle needed to win in H2H?

C - Wieters
1B - Teixeira
2B - Phillips
SS - Tulowitzki
3B - Reynolds
OF - Granderson/Jennings/Choo/Willingham
UTIL - Dunn
BN - J. Weeks/Heyward
DL - Morse

SP - Greinke/Bumgarner
RP - Balfour/Marmol
P - Kuroda/Marshall/Guerra/Morrow
BN - Garica
------------------------
Hot Bats on Wire - Kipnis/Duda/Furcal/De Aza/Martinez/K. Johnson/Desmond/Figgins/Andino/Ad Laroche/Seager/Dan Murphy/Guzman/Jay

SP - Dempster/Lirano/W.Rodriguez/Volquez/Danks/Lohse/Bedard/Ogando/Peavy/Nolasco/Dickey/Alvarez/Hochevar/Guthrie

RP - Rodney/Santiago/H.Rodriguez/Chapman/Clippard/Adams/Pestano/Peralta/Melancon

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: 10 Team H2H - Any concern after a .180 team avg week 1?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

sigh.

and I thought we could get away with having no pieces on being patient this year....
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

I was going to say it's just Week 1................but its much smaller than that this was basically half a week.
H2H leagues in fact should NOT have even used this as week one on their schedules for lots of reasons.

You have a good team - you only had two bad pitching performaces with several good ones......Chill!
(albeit you knew drafting Tex that you might be facing a slow start - but again it's three flipping games)

MaestroJay

#4 Post by MaestroJay »

week 1 was Mar 28 - April 8.

As for patience, I know to wait on doing anything major.However, I essentially have 2 free roster spots for the time being (Jemile Weeks bench spot, and the Morse dl slot.) Which for H2H is more important due to the lightning in a bottle factor, while roto you can wait.

As for my team, I'm projected 8th or lower in SB,AVG,W,ERA,WHIP and 5th in K's.

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:week 1 was Mar 28 - April 8.
True and that ten days was three maybe four games per team.............EXACTLY why I said it shouldn't even have been Week 1 for H2H leagues.....................BUT certainly not life and death

Lots of good players available - YOU just have to figure out which of your current players to be on for Week 2 and then pick a replacement for that player/position

Tex had his first hit today and hopefully you can play Morse with confidence in Week 3 (I have him and won't play him this week but hope he returns and gets his feet on the ground and sees enough pitches to be valuable the following week)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

if by lightning in a bottle, you mean guys unexpectedly getting hot out of the blue - I'm not sure how that is any more applicable to how you manage H2H than it is to how you manage roto.

if you can't control it, you can't manage it.

That said, regardless of the format, if you have the ability to upgrade some spots, you look to do it.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

MaestroJay

#7 Post by MaestroJay »

By the lightning in a bottle comment I mean, in H2H each weeks stats count on their own and it isn't cumulative as in Roto.3 to 4 bad games in a row in roto are bad, but you are able to see how he is performing across the season.Where as in H2H, 3 to 4 bad games by multiple people you have all but lost the week.

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#8 Post by daweasle »

regarding the fact that this was early season week 1 really(0.5)

its important to remember - during the first three days of the season - everyone ran into their opponents aces/#2/#3 - no one has faced a fifth starter yet. Every bullpen arm was available (to the delight of a few hitters) but there were no managers playing peekaboo with their closer unavailable due to pitching 3 of the last 4 days. very few backup catchers were calling pitches. the best of the best were all rested and ready - and they played.

Over the course of the season as the schedule balances it self out your group of hitters will face a good mix of aces and #4/#5 guys. Not all your hitters facing aces and #2's

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#9 Post by daweasle »

OK - there is an important part of your scoring system that you did not mention. You said it's head to head. be more specific.

So is it head to head with the standard 5 categories and you face off against another guy trying to get one win or one loss?
Or is it head to head with 7x7 and your final score each week is 9-5 or 10-4 and you get points for each stats you win?

That's a pretty important factor in the next part of my topic here but read below and realize that scoring system may invalidate my point - or make my point more valid.

BUT HERE IT IS
regarding the makeup of your team.

your lineup - I see you have mark reynolds and adam dunn who will both likely hit 230 or less.
and you have several other 250-265 hitters (texieira, willingham, jennings, wieters)

you drafted those guys knowing you were punting average to get the extra power and RBI. so

That part of your lineup alone tells me that you are rarely going to be competitive in bat avg on a consistent basis in a 10 team league.

BUT WHO CARES?

It's head to head. You have power hitters galore. If you treated your team right - you could win HR, RBI, RUNs every week. that's 3 points. You lose bavg every week. Thats negative one.

so for now - you have a 3-1 in hitting categories every week. (SB to be considered later in this discussion)

what's the big deal if you lose batting average every week all season? If your guys hit 20 doubles and 15 HR every week, you will win alot of head to head matchups on that alone.

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#10 Post by daweasle »

And when I look at your pitching staff

I see the same thing.

example - You have 4 closers. who will pitch a total of 13-15 innings each week from four roster spots. But then you complained about being low on KKKs. If you want the security of saying I know I am going to win Saves category every week - fine go with 4 closers. But realize going in that that means you are likely to lose the KKKs category almost every week. most closers are only going to pitch 3 or 4 times a week, resulting in 3-4 Ks that week.

So four of your roster spots are being used to dominate the saves category and get you 11-14 K's

(whereas a two start pitcher with a high K rate can get you 11-12 K's or more and he only takes up one roster spot)

If you want to win KKKs each week with that composition of pitchers - you either have to bench some closers to play more starters or you have to start streaming pitchers. (either one is risky, but both can be successful if properly executed)

It looks to me like you drafted a team that would be good for roto, but needs to be tweeked a little bit to be successful in head to head.

(AGAIN - this is just my humble opinion) and I don't know enough details about your league - and there are 25 weeks left of head to head so plenty of time to fix it.