My NFBC Main Event Team

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
mbendar
Major League Veteran

My NFBC Main Event Team

#1 Post by mbendar »

I thought I would post my NFBC main event team for some thoughts - In my opinion, couldn't have asked for a better 1st 7 picks and hope I backed it up good enough (from the 3 spot):

1 - Pujols - very happy with this start, of course
2 - McCutchen - surprised he got to me here - get some 5 category balance to match Pujols
3 - Beltre - was planning to get him with pick #2 and I get him at pick #3
4 - JWeaver - gambled that pitching would drop and it did
5 - Haren - was hoping to get 1 top 10 pitcher and got #2 with this pick
6 - MMontero - best catcher left on the board - big gap to Avila and Molina
7 - Kennedy - backed up the Angels here - what a #3
8 - Jeter - really wanted Maybin here but he went 2 spots before me
9 - JWeeks - between Jeter and JWeeks, locked up MI and got some needed steals
10 - KJohnson - went for the HR/SB combo and can afford the bad avg at this point
11 - JWalden
12 - KFarnsworth
13 - Hellickson
14 - JWillingham
15 - Moustakas
16 - Lucroy
17 - JimJohnson
18 - Span
19 - Raburn
20 - EJackson
21 - Vogelsong
22 - DavMurphy
23 - Samarzija
24 - Helton
25 - Dirks
26 - JWestbrook
27 - JJay
28 - SDuncan
29 - Bartlett
30 - Salas

Mark

Captain Hook

Re: My NFBC Main Event Team

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

mbendar wrote:I thought I would post my NFBC main event team for some thoughts - In my opinion, couldn't have asked for a better 1st 7 picks and hope I backed it up good enough (from the 3 spot):

1 - Pujols - very happy with this start, of course
2 - McCutchen - surprised he got to me here - get some 5 category balance to match Pujols
3 - Beltre - was planning to get him with pick #2 and I get him at pick #3
4 - JWeaver - gambled that pitching would drop and it did
5 - Haren - was hoping to get 1 top 10 pitcher and got #2 with this pick
6 - MMontero - best catcher left on the board - big gap to Avila and Molina
7 - Kennedy - backed up the Angels here - what a #3
8 - Jeter - really wanted Maybin here but he went 2 spots before me
9 - JWeeks - between Jeter and JWeeks, locked up MI and got some needed steals
10 - KJohnson - went for the HR/SB combo and can afford the bad avg at this point
11 - JWalden
12 - KFarnsworth
13 - Hellickson
14 - JWillingham
15 - Moustakas
16 - Lucroy
17 - JimJohnson
18 - Span
19 - Raburn
20 - EJackson
21 - Vogelsong
22 - DavMurphy
23 - Samarzija
24 - Helton
25 - Dirks
26 - JWestbrook
27 - JJay
28 - SDuncan
29 - Bartlett
30 - Salas

Mark
Well I think you had a Very Good draft Mark. Surprised that some of those players fell but that is your good fortune....and I like a lot of your later picks as well.

GOOD LUCK

southpaw

#3 Post by southpaw »

Nice team. You were even able to get 3 closers which is a nice bonus.
If your top 3 SP stay healthy and perform the way you think they will, I think this one could contend.

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

I think Mark owes it all to his facilitator ;)

Just kidding - BUT I did get a front row seat to Mark's draft.

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by mbendar »

Perry and Southpaw - thanks for the comments - everyone usually likes their team walking out of a draft but always nice to hear others thinking the team is solid.

Ryan - nice seeing you again and great job facilitating - very nice pace and the humor you brought to the table was a good touch in making a fun day even better.

Mark

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

humor? 8-)

Speaking of funny, my squad is discussed on the main page - please feel free to comment in the section below the piece.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

Yes - we had a good table with some very good drafters. I think it was not by accident that Tom had we work the table with Scott Newman's teenage daughters on sticker duty, as I think he guessed (correctly I think) that I would work best with the two of them. They did a great job IMO. We had a lot of fun, and more than a few laughs at the expense of the guy in the number one slot. He opened the draft with Hanley Ramirez at NO 1, which of course became the talk of the entire room. He made some other head scratching picks throughout the day, and I commented to someone afterwards that I think he was obviously new to the event, and the wheel kind of ate him up as the draft progressed. I think this helped both Mark and the team at No 2 as this guy missed on a lot of players throughout. Not sure if everyone at the table knew it or not, but you had a couple of heavy hitters in there. Larry "The Sandlot Shrink" Schecter was Team 5. I recognized Larry after meeting him the previous weekend at Foley's. We also had Glenn Schroter, aka "The King of Queens" from the boards, as Team 10. Glenn is a great guy and a smart and successful drafter. As a facilitator, I would say that it is always clear the guys who are prepared and come in with a plan. Mark was definitely among this group. I would say the Jeter pick was the only time I think Mark didn't pick a guy he really liked when he called the name out. So good Luck Mark and keep us up to date with the progress of your team here throughout the season.

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#8 Post by mbendar »

In his post a few weeks ago, Ryan asked to provide updates to this team and there isn't going to be a better update than I have right now because I'm leading the Main Event. If this is my 5 minutes of fame, I'll take it. :mrgreen:

The encouraging part of my strong start is that Pujols and Haren have done nothing, so when they hopefully wake up, it will offset the natural regresssion of some of my players, most notably Willingham and JWestbrook.

The only update through FAAB is getting Fernardo Rodney for my easy drop of Fernando Salas, who gave me a horrible inning week 1 before I kicked him to the curb.

Mark

southpaw

#9 Post by southpaw »

Yeah, great start! I'm rooting for you! :D

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

mbendar wrote:In his post a few weeks ago, Ryan asked to provide updates to this team and there isn't going to be a better update than I have right now because I'm leading the Main Event. If this is my 5 minutes of fame, I'll take it. :mrgreen:

The encouraging part of my strong start is that Pujols and Haren have done nothing, so when they hopefully wake up, it will offset the natural regresssion of some of my players, most notably Willingham and JWestbrook.

The only update through FAAB is getting Fernardo Rodney for my easy drop of Fernando Salas, who gave me a horrible inning week 1 before I kicked him to the curb.

Mark
Congrats Mark and now keep up the hard work - let's hope you get to manage a contending team all year

and PS I don't think Westbrook will be regressing that much - I think he will have a very good year at least versus the groupthink opinions and projections. He lost some weight before reporting and added a new pitch and has looked very good in the innings I have seen him

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#11 Post by mbendar »

Agree with you Perry, but he won't be at 0.7 on the ERA and WHIP :mrgreen:

deansdaddy

#12 Post by deansdaddy »

Congrats Mark on setting the pace in the Main Event!

Curious to hear about your pickups for the first two weeks? What moves have you made so far? I am assuming you have grabbed a couple arms. Nice call on Samadizja BTW (i know i spelled that wrong but I am too lazy to check it right now).

Captain Hook

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

Samardzija

deansdaddy

#14 Post by deansdaddy »

Thanks Cap :lol:

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#15 Post by mbendar »

I picked up Rodney and dropped Salas in week 1 - pretty easy drop - think it was $177 for Rodney.

No Week 2 moves - I typically don't rush to drop the guys I drafted. Although I'm happy with the start of my outfield, still want to keep the depth there and don't give up on guys like Raburn after a very slow start. 2-3 more weeks of struggling, different story.

Mark

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#16 Post by mbendar »

With the 2nd half started and headed toward the dog days of summer, I figured I would give an update on my Main Event team. It's been a personally rough (non-baseball) summer to date, so sorry I didn't update this thread more often.

As of today, I'm in 2nd place with 110 pts, 11 pts behind 1st and 8 pts ahead of 3rd. My hitting has replaced my pitching as my strength, primarily due to McCutchen carrying the team for the last month and the poor years from Haren and Kennedy to date. Jim Johnson's 1st horrible outing yesterday in mop up work is the way my staff has been going lately. Hopefully I can turn around the pitching, maintain the hitting, and have a good chance to compete towards a money finish/title in September. I'll throw my lineup and (bench) at this time:

C Montero, Thole (Lucroy)
1b - Pujols
2b - JWeeks, KJohnson
SS - Jeter
3b - Beltre
OF - McCutchen, Willingham, Span, Jay, CWells, SSmith (Niewenhuis, DavMurphy)

P - JWeaver, Hellickson, EJackson, Vogelsong, LHarrell, Westbrook (Samardzija, IKennedy, Haren, FMorales)
RP - Rodney, Clippard, Jimmy J

Mark

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#17 Post by mbendar »

I emailed Ryan in regards to his efforts to the 12 team subscriber league and congrats on some of his NFBC finishes , so thought since this team was doing well early, I would note my final finish

2nd place in league, 36th overall

The last two years, it feels like everything I do in September goes wrong - luckily I got some solid pitching yesterday to hold onto 2nd place, not bad for 1st year in Main Event. I can't even imagine with some of the close races in the overalls and the premium leagues the roller coaster of emotions with many more thousands of dollars on the line.

Hope everyone finished their seasons strong and sure will talk some baseball on these boards during the offseason.

Mark

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Todd Zola »

FWIW, 4 of the top 5 finishers in the NFBC Classic are subscribers.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#19 Post by Captain Hook »

mbendar wrote:I emailed Ryan in regards to his efforts to the 12 team subscriber league and congrats on some of his NFBC finishes , so thought since this team was doing well early, I would note my final finish

2nd place in league, 36th overall

The last two years, it feels like everything I do in September goes wrong - luckily I got some solid pitching yesterday to hold onto 2nd place, not bad for 1st year in Main Event. I can't even imagine with some of the close races in the overalls and the premium leagues the roller coaster of emotions with many more thousands of dollars on the line.

Hope everyone finished their seasons strong and sure will talk some baseball on these boards during the offseason.

Mark
Congrats Mark - very good finish for first year