My 10 Team Mix Squad

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
AllstonRockCity

My 10 Team Mix Squad

#1 Post by AllstonRockCity »

First off, thanks to all that helped by posting on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3451

But it was really something Todd said in the following thread that, I think, really helped me out tonight. And that was the nugget about not being afraid to lock up CI and C2 early if that's what the overdrafting of MIs left for me. Thank You! :D
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3674

Standard 14/9 roster. From the 9 spot:

C: Napoli (4.2), Avila (9.9)
CI: Votto (1.9) Pablo (7.9) MYoung (6.2)
MI: Zobrist (5.9) Peralta (14.2) Scutaro (22.2)
OF: CarGo (2.2) AJones (8.2) Hart (10.2) Maybin (17.9) Swisher (18.2)
U: Viciedo (23.9)
P: Halladay (3.9) Beach (11.9) Luebke (12.2) Zimmerman (13.9) Ubaldo (19.9) McCarthy (21.9)
P: Farnsworth (15.9) Motte (16.2) JimJohnson (20.2)

B: Carp (24.2) Kubel (27.9) DanMurphy (28.2)
B: Baker (25.9) Bard (26.2)

Any and all comments welcome.

Vinnie Pestano went undrafted, so I already want to drop someone :o

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: My 10 Team Mix Squad

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I would drop Baker given all the red flags the Twins are sending up on him over the last 72 hours or so; He can't get stretched out, he's feeling discomfort, he's having problems with the same elbow as last year, his velocity is down, he may not make his scheduled April 9 start, he may start ion the DL, etc.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:I would drop Baker given all the red flags the Twins are sending up on him over the last 72 hours or so; He can't get stretched out, he's feeling discomfort, he's having problems with the same elbow as last year, his velocity is down, he may not make his scheduled April 9 start, he may start ion the DL, etc.
Hmmm, I've somehow missed this news. Thank you very much.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#5 Post by Black Sox »

Think your weak at UT and SP. I like some of your pitcher picks it's just you need all of them to hit to be succesful. I'm sure if you look at some of the other teams you'll see what I mean. I had to adjust my strategy this year and start taking a few more pitchers from my upper tiers and stop hoping to hit on later ones. Everyone likes to say how deep pitching is, but once you get thru the top 25 they all start having varying degrees of warts. Just my 2 cents
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Black Sox wrote:Think your weak at UT and SP. I like some of your pitcher picks it's just you need all of them to hit to be succesful. I'm sure if you look at some of the other teams you'll see what I mean. I had to adjust my strategy this year and start taking a few more pitchers from my upper tiers and stop hoping to hit on later ones. Everyone likes to say how deep pitching is, but once you get thru the top 25 they all start having varying degrees of warts. Just my 2 cents
Looking at the other rosters I see 2 teams that have obviously better staffs than mine. Then I see about 4 or 5 teams that I think have staffs at the same level as mine. There are 2 or 3 teams that appear to have weaker pitching than my squad.

The 2 teams that have staffs that look way ahead of mine each have offenses I consider worse than mine.

All in all I think I'm right there in the hunt.

Its funny cuz you had written how you don't even start taking pitchers til around the 10th round in this format. I tried that in my mocks and really liked the way my staffs looked. And never in any of them did I have Halladay. Kershaw and Verlander were the 1st 2 off the board and I was fully prepared to take Felix at 3.9 but when Doc was there I had to pull the trigger. I like this staff more than any I have mocked and have liked some of those quite a bit, and others not so much.

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by Black Sox »

I didn't mean to imply that your strategy can't or won't work, just commenting on the risk associated with it. My opinion on the matter has been tainted by the prep work I've been doing for my upcoming draft. In my recent mocks I've been grabbing 2/4 starters from my top tiers in the first 10 rounds. Instead of "going cheap" on SP and filling my roster with 4/5 starters from my mid tiers, I've been focusing on OF instead since I seem to like more of the mid tier OF than the mid tier pitchers. Here's an example of a recent mock I did, all 10 people were there, and I didn't have anyone do anything wacky. I never assume this is how my "real" drafts will go so while the player names might change my overall strategy will remain the same.

I had the 2nd pick ( 4 SP went in the first 20 picks)

A.Pujols E.Longoria Hanley D.Price Y.Gallardo M.Bumgardner D.Uggla D.Jennings B.Upton M.Moore

So in my first 10 picks I selected 4 SP. Now if I get in my real draft and everyone is waiting on SP then I'll adjust, but in my mocks I've felt like I'm overdrafting players when I went all hitters early. This a big change in strategy for me but getting my head kicked in makes you rexamine how and why you lost. My draft is next week I'll post my team and let you know how I felt I did. Solid team though.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

AllstonRockCity

#8 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I came within 3 picks of getting Gallardo/Bumgarner or both. But they went just before I did in the 9th. I would have gladly jumped all over them at that point.

You said you see a top25. I see a definitive top 18:
Doc
Kershaw
Felix
Lee
Verlander
Haren
Hamels
Price
Weaver
CC
Lincecum
Cain
Shields
Gallardo
Lester
Wilson
Bum
Grienke

Then I see about 12 more guys before the warts really start to show. So, I guess you see a top 25 and I see a top 30. I think we are probably in agreement on the top 18, give or take a couple guys. It must be the next 7-12 guys where we see things quite differently. In no particular order:
Strasburg, Romero, Hanson, JJohnson, Luebke, Latos, Beachy, Kennedy, Zimmermann, DHudson, Carpenter

In my mind I have 4 guys in my top 25. I have my #1(Halladay) and then my #21,#22, and #23 ranked starters (Beachy, Luebke and Zimm). I am willing to forgo having a solid #2 if I can have 3 solid #3's behind a true Ace and I feel I was successful in my goal there.

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by Black Sox »

I understand your thinking and it's a well thought out plan.

As for the starters I don't have in my top 25....

Hanson - I truly belive his arm is going to fall off
Carpenter- Already hurting
Zimmerman / Hudson - Just missed but we are prob quibbling
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

AllstonRockCity

#10 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Black Sox wrote:I understand your thinking and it's a well thought out plan.

As for the starters I don't have in my top 25....

Hanson - I truly belive his arm is going to fall off
Carpenter- Already hurting
Zimmerman / Hudson - Just missed but we are prob quibbling
I have hanson and carpenter in my top 30 but would never, ever draft either. But they are being acquired in that range so that's where I have em ranked.

I think both kennedy and hudson look like regression candidates and would need to feel I was getting a steal to take either.

Its funny how similar and different we view the same thing

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#11 Post by daweasle »

Is it correct to assume you punted SB?

If I were you I would certainly be on the hunt for SB all season. I would consider dropping or trading some guys - bard/baker/maybe even kubel to add a util player that can get you at least a few SB. There must be guys out there in a 10 team league (coco crisp? willie bloomquist? juan pierre? Tyler pastornicky? somebody)

AllstonRockCity

#12 Post by AllstonRockCity »

daweasle wrote:Is it correct to assume you punted SB?

If I were you I would certainly be on the hunt for SB all season. I would consider dropping or trading some guys - bard/baker/maybe even kubel to add a util player that can get you at least a few SB. There must be guys out there in a 10 team league (coco crisp? willie bloomquist? juan pierre? Tyler pastornicky? somebody)
I did not punt SBs, I don't punt CATs, I will sometimes punt a position, but never a CAT.

Yeah, I have realized how light I am in SBs in these few days post-draft.

There are at least a dozen 20SB+ guys on the WW right now (Fowler, Brantley, Alcides) and I will be putting in a claim on them. I am going to wait and see what happens with Carp and then drop either him or Kubel to pick up the 25 or so steals I need to move from 9th to middle of the pack. (My buddy has the league on rotolab and those are his numbers)

I have learned in years past that in a league this shallow, SBs are pretty easy to come by on the WW, power is not. Also a guy who's only contribution is 20 bags is kind of a drain in a league this shallow. After all, a HR impacts 4 CATs a SB just 1.

It is a no-trade league. Otherwise, Murphy would be the 1st to go, but I love that eligibility in a no-trade league.

Thanks for the comment. I was waiting for someone to notice how light I was on speed.

One other note: My buddy who put this on rotolab using HQs #'s has him in 1st (shocker) and myself in 2nd, 1 point behind him. I used only MBs #'s so I think rotolabs standings say much more about my team than my friends. :)

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#13 Post by Black Sox »

Well I got my 10 team draft on Tues night. Already got my pick ( #8 ) I'll post my team tommorow and you can let me know how I did.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

AllstonRockCity

#14 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Black Sox wrote:Well I got my 10 team draft on Tues night. Already got my pick ( #8 ) I'll post my team tommorow and you can let me know how I did.
Looking forward to it. Good luck

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#15 Post by Black Sox »

Ok here it is..... Think I did pretty good. Picking #8. Round picked in ( )

C M.Weiters (9)
C W.Ramos (21)
1b A Gonzalez (1)
2b Uggla (5)
SS Hanley (2)
3B Zimmerman (4)
MI E.Aybar (14)
CI E.Hosmer (8)
UT Goldschmidt (27)
OF B.Upton (10)
OF Ichiro (11)
OF C.Hart (13)
OF Melky (17)
OF M.Joyce (22)

Bench M.Scutaro (28) M.Reynolds(20 auto picked by mistake ) B.Harper (25) J.Willingham (29)

P F.Hernandez (3)
P Y.Gallardo (6)
P J.Shields (7)
P J.Zimmerman (12)
P M.Scherzer (16)
P A.Bailey (15)
P K.Farnsworth (18)
P J.Guerra (19)
P M.Thornton (24)

Bench C.Carpenter (23) S.Baker (26)
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

AllstonRockCity

#16 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Looks good. I can't believe Hosmer was around in the 8th. That's crazy.

Your SP is really nice and your IF looks solid. In fact, compared to my league, I would say that you did a much better job of balancing the desire to roster 3 top tier starters with the give-back on offense. By this I mean that 2 other guys in my league built their rotations as you did, but your offense is better than theirs.

You may be a bit light on power. Your OF could use some work for sure, but that's the easiest position to fill.

Thanks again for your input.

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#17 Post by Black Sox »

Yes Hosmer being available was due to CBS default ranks and no one jumping and grabbing him. In my league almost everyone waits on SP so I was able to get a little better staff than I reasonably should. My OF is def weak but that was the plan going in. I like the team and it's a solid base to start with. The good thing is this is an active trading league so I'll have plenty of opportunity to make changes. Good Luck
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc