CVCR questions

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

CVCR questions

#1 Post by viper »

First off, CVCR will always be PAUL to me. I can't ever remember the initials CVCR. I guess in time I will.

I was playing with some of the player pool options on the preloaded MB 2/1/09 numbers. I ran a standard NFBC set of projections [avg = .280 & 1.2 HR & .8 SB] and came up with a dollar value for all players. Only 28 catchers were in the pool but that's fine. I view all $1 to ($1) players as the same guy anyway and there were 30 catchers with that understanding. We all know there isn't meaningful scarcity in an NFBC style pool aside from catchers. Therefore I set all the non-catchers as 1b [per the detailed writeup] and ran the same set of input numbers. Interesting. Pretty much people had the same value but there were subtle differences. I counted to make sure there were enough MI to fill the required 45 slots and that was the exact number. It turns out the UT slot is filled by 4 CO and 11 OF. What I found odd is that only 23 catchers were included. Now, I understand why position players may have slightly different dollar values as the replacement pool is position dependent so a HR by a MI carries a bit more value even though in the true scheme of things, because there is no actual scarcity, it should be valued the same - hence the all 1B option. That said, the differences are not worth worrying about. I am confused on the catcher situation since both pools were set for 30 catchers. At a minimum, I would have thought the catcher count would be the same or damn close. Additionally, every catcher using the standard positions went for $1 to $3 more. The three going for $3 more were the #1, #2 and #5 rated catchers. Total catching dollars were $267 for the standard pool and $220 for the CA/1B pool. The relative position of the catchers were essentially identical.

Any thoughts on this.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: CVCR questions

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

While I am not enamored with CVRC, for other reasons, none of which are legal with respect to PAUL being introduced at FB.com, I'd rather not call it PAUL. Perhaps we can come up with a different name.

Anyway...

Thanks viper -- turns out there was an issue with the programming of STANDARD which has since been corrected and I will have a new file to the home office soon.

I welcome everybody to rerun the tests viper outlined using the corrected tool later, but here is what I got, which seems much more palpable.

The first number is STANDARD, the second using two pools, C and non-C

C 27 27
1B 23 23
2B 24 23
3B 24 25
SS 23 23
OF 89 89

Pretty close. The pools are short 3 catchers, but as explained the the manifesto, this is a result of the marginal pricing algorithm and there are 3 catchers priced just below replacement.

With respect to C$, the STANDARD catchers are about $1 more than the 2-pool catchers.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotonut

#3 Post by rotonut »

Todd Zola wrote:While I am not enamored with CVRC, for other reasons, none of which are legal with respect to PAUL being introduced at FB.com, I'd rather not call it PAUL. Perhaps we can come up with a different name.
What about--

VIC (Value Investment Calculator)

which is short for...

VICTORY (Value Investment Calculator To Obtain Ritual Yoo-Hoo)

This makes sense, as one needs to use their auction dollars to make a value investment in players to obtain a Yoo-Hoo shower at the end of the season!!!

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#4 Post by aburt19 »

This is a really dumb question. On the league set up page, how do I make a change to the BA, ERA or WHIP number.
When I click on default, it doesn't give me a pull down menu to change it from default and when I click on the actual
number in the BA, ERA or WHIP box, nothing happens.

Whether it's the tendencies of the league regarding starting pitching or some other factor, the ERA and WHIP numbers
in my league have been different than the values shown.

rotodog

#5 Post by rotodog »

aburt19 wrote:This is a really dumb question. On the league set up page, how do I make a change to the BA, ERA or WHIP number.
When I click on default, it doesn't give me a pull down menu to change it from default and when I click on the actual

Whether it's the tendencies of the league regarding starting pitching or some other factor, the ERA and WHIP numbers
i just did it....Double click default until its highlighted and enter you number...Make sure macros are enabled too..

msugray

#6 Post by msugray »

rotodog wrote:
aburt19 wrote:This is a really dumb question. On the league set up page, how do I make a change to the BA, ERA or WHIP number.

i just did it....Double click default until its highlighted and enter you number...Make sure macros are enabled too..
Rotodog is correct, but for added clarity:

Click in the cell with the word "default" and enter your baseline number. Don't click into the yellow cell with the actual numeric value.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

The provided answers are correct, but if you have not yet done so, you may want to read the essay posted above the CVRCs, explaining all the operations. The manner to change this number is provided in that essay.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#8 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:

The provided answers are correct, but if you have not yet done so, you may want to read the essay posted above the CVRCs, explaining all the operations. The manner to change this number is provided in that essay.
Sorry, I should have looked at that. Thanks to all.