Ubaldo Jimenez - Velocity Check

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Trav The Ump

Ubaldo Jimenez - Velocity Check

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

So in reading magazines, sites, forums etc there seems to be the opportunity for a value buy on Ubaldo "assuming" his velocity is back up. Do we have any sites to check spring data to see if his fastball has returned?

If it has, other than playing the Tigers that seems to be a decent division to pitch in and may offer the chance to turn a profit on a player with a medium sized investment.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Re: Ubaldo Jimenez - Velocity Check

#2 Post by aburt19 »

I agree with you regarding the return of his velocity. If it's back, he a good bounce back candidate.

I do think that the Royals offense will better than you think. Their pitching may not be very good,
but their hitting is showing movement in the right direction.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Ubaldo is big enough of a name and the mph issue is not a secret so I am sure it will be covered by your favorite news gathering source.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite

#4 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:Ubaldo is big enough of a name and the mph issue is not a secret so I am sure it will be covered by your favorite news gathering source.
Rotoworld is reporting that in his game yesterday, Jimenez was "consistently" in the range of 94-96. Of course he gave up
five hits and a walk too.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

was that the speed of the ball approaching or exiting home plate?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite

#6 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:was that the speed of the ball approaching or exiting home plate?
:lol: Good one. Both Jimenez and his manager claim that of the five hits, only one was hard hit with the rest being bloops.
I don't have any way to judge their assessment since I didn't see the game.

It's ST, so there's no reason to get excited either way. I don't get too excited by radar readings because there is a variation
in radar guns. In KC three years ago, Zack Greinke was throwing in the 97-98 range. Then he went on the road and was
throwing 94-95. But the reports said 94-96 yesterday on Jimenez, for whatever that is worth.