Brett Myers to Close for Hou

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
deansdaddy

Brett Myers to Close for Hou

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

From Rotoworld:
Astros manager Brad Mills announced Tuesday that Brett Myers will be the team's closer in 2012.
Brandon Lyon has been demoted to a setup role. It's an odd decision given that Myers was one of Houston's most durable and reliable starters in 2011, but the Astros are an organization that needs to get younger all around and this should clear a rotation spot for an arm with upside (like 21-year-old Jordan Lyles). Myers, 31, had a 4.46 ERA and 160/57 K/BB ratio in 216 innings last year. The Astros have reworked his $10 million vesting option for 2012 to accommodate the position change.

Well - this is an interesting development. Wish I'd have taken a chance on him in a few drafts as an SP - cause he was going real late. Looks like they are trying to build up trade value here - so I doubt he keeps the job allyear. Not great news for anyone holding onto David Carpenter, B Lyon or W Lopez.

AllstonRockCity

Re: Brett Myers to Close for Hou

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I'm just glad there's been an announcement and a formal closer named.

Speculating on 3 guys who aren't worth speculating on was not something I was looking forward to. Now it's neat and tidy. I could see him really excelling in this role and maybe adding some years to his career.