My NFBC Fast/Slow Draft

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Captain Hook

My NFBC Fast/Slow Draft

#1 Post by Captain Hook »

As you see in this forum and others, several have done the NFBC Slow Drafts - these are 50 round drafts with no FAAB during the year - so Draft & Hold if you like - the point is you get your entire roster in this early draft and then the only league management is setting your lineups each week. The entry is $150 with $125 of that going to your league payouts to the top three places - I believe - will edit later that the winner gets $1000. But the other $25 from each team goes to a pot for the overall winners of ALL the slow drafts and that persona will win $5K - actually the early drafts have been so popular that it may go higher and the overal will likely pay ten places some nice money.

But some of the slow drafts can get reallllllllyyyy slow - especially if you see a guy named Marcel in your league - his shortest time for a pick so far this year is 4 hours and 15 minutes so those drafts have become nightmares for several of the participants. Several has asked about doing the fifty round (750 players!) draft in one sitting so I helped set up the first of what will now become more popular drafts. We drafted yesterday at 1 PM ET and expected to finish in six+ hours and take a pair of breaks. Well the administration said no breaks but it hardly mattered as this group really got after it and we drafted our 750 players in the same time it took Marcel to get his - right an amazing 4 hours and 15 minutes.

So here is my team - from the 11th slot (NFBC does KDS so you get to give your preferences for your draft spot which I covered in one of the recent Captain's Logs)
The roster:
C - Y. Molina, K. Suzuki, A.J. Ellis, Shoppach, D. Norris
1B - Goldschmidt
3B - Beltre, Castellanos
CI - B. Lawrie
2B - Kipnis, R. Santiago
SS - Alexei Ramirez, Cosart
MI - Scutaro, W. Valdez (2B/SS/3B)
OF - CarGo, Cuddyer (1B), L.Morrison, Joyce, Carp (1B)
OF - Byrd, Parra, Dyson, Kalish, Abreu
UT - Moreland (1B/OF)
SP - Hamels, C.J. Wilson, Stauffer, Moseley, Braden, Saunders
SP - Lohse, Detwiler, L. Mendoza, Beavan, Feldman, T. Ross, Crow (hopefully)
SP (minors) D. Smyly, R. Delgado, M. Montgomery
CL - R. Betancourt, Farnsworth
RP - Venters, Bastardo, Wilhelmsen, J.P. Howell, K. Kendrick
RP (minors) Boxberger

Lots of flexibility with the positions - especially Wilson Valdez since he qualifies at all three infield spots (and I drafted partially as Cosart insurance.

Here is how the first five rounds went
1.11 Carlos Gonzalez (fine with CarGo but would have taken Justin Upton who normally goes later and went 10th in this draft)
2.05 Adrian Beltre (missed Tex by one spot on this side)
3.11 Cole Hamels
4.05 Brett Lawrie (had hoped to get Hosmer with 3rd or 4th pick but he went very early 3rd IIRC)
5.11 C.J. Wilson

I think the pitching is fine - if some of those names look a little iffy remember the season is long and lots of guys get opportunities at some point (eg Kyle Kendrick who started several weeks for my team last year) I try and get some of the better pitching prospects - but only if they really have a shot at being up by mid year. Right now Smyly has a shot at the opening day rotation for the Tigers while Delgado and Montgomery will have to pitch well in AAA and wait for the call. Not sure what San Diego will do with Boxberger but he is their closer of the future - just depends on when Street gets hurt or traded.

The offense is very solid - okay maybe chunky because unless all the possible stolen bases materialize I could be short there - but I should have plenty of HR and RBI and the starting lineup and several reserves play every day.

I could have done better - with a pace that fast you really have to adjust - updating your queue from a good list is imperative and there were several of the better fantasy players in this draft so I was snaked on several occasions - some that almost defy description.
If I saw some errors to help you, several of the teams are too thin at catcher - I think you should have at least four. And many others just don't have enough pitchers to last the season unless they are remarkably lucky with health and performance of their hurlers.

Now I have to put it way until time to put in the first lineup cards.

southpaw

Re: My NFBC Fast/Slow Draft

#2 Post by southpaw »

Cool, thanks for posting this.
I like your offense A LOT.
Starting pitching, I don't like as much as you do. Hamels and CJ are great but Stauffer as a 3 and then Moseley Braden Saunders and Lohse? You are definitely going to be short on K's, no?

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

southpaw wrote:Cool, thanks for posting this.
I like your offense A LOT.
Starting pitching, I don't like as much as you do. Hamels and CJ are great but Stauffer as a 3 and then Moseley Braden Saunders and Lohse? You are definitely going to be short on K's, no?
Thanks - only thing the offense needs to be very good is for steals to take a step up

SP - well yes and no....lets use round numbers for SP - 200 each for Hamels and Wilson; 125 each for the next four spots....thats 900 for six spots.....another 200 for Betancourt, Farnsworth, and Venters would give us 1100 and yes that would be low.....BUT that is without any of the breakout guys specifically Crow or Detwiler and the minor leaguers being counted on plus there will be a lot of streaming for two starts in the 5th and 6th SP slot and 85 for Venters is bumped up for streaming into the 7th slot as well. So I feel comfortable it is 1200 which is at least 100-150 lower than I would like for the Main Event...BUT this is not a main event and some of the staffs in my league and the others will have problems getting nine starts per week throughout the season - I shouldn't have that problem.

RobG

#4 Post by RobG »

Very nice team.

I was in the fast draft yesterday and it was quite a rush. I would love to hear how Ryan C. enjoyed the experience. I drafted next to him and I think we kept snaking each other.

deansdaddy

#5 Post by deansdaddy »

Yeah - I had a lot of fun and yes you did steal more than a few guys I liked when you picked before me. On more than one occasion the guys in question were IMO easily the best guys on the board - so you did well to grab falling talent. Rob picked 10th I was 11th (like Perry)

EXAMPLES:

RD 1 - Jose Bautista (I took Upton) -I would have grabbed Bautista if he had made it.

RD 3 - Felix Hernandez (I took Weaver) - I was salivating as Felix dropped. Hosmer and Lawrie went early in rd - one guy took KIMBRAL :shock: then CC went. Sadly Rob stole the King from me.

RD 7 - SS Choo - Choo was sliding. Some putz made a comment about it a few picks before us which pissed me off - SHHHHH! Stubbs goes right before Rob robbed me of my Indian. I had to go to plan B Howie Kendrick.

RD 11 - Derek Jeter - (I took Hanson) - I had no SS and Jeter was a steal in the 11th. Sadly Rob needed a SS also and rightly nabbed him. This one hurt the most because SS was a wasteland after that.

RD 17 - Scott Baker - (I took McCarthy) - I had Baker all lined up when Rob stole him. Had to scramble here so I went with a guy I like just as much McCarthy. Very similar P's IMO.

RD 18 - Javy Guerra - This was after one of my picks (S-rod - my SS)- but I had taken Jansen earlier and waited too long on Guerra - not happy to see someone else grab him.

RD 23 - Alex Presley (I took Stauffer) - I was searching for some speed and Presley is a guy I like a lot. He was MINE dammit.

Can't say you stole anyone else I was specifically targeting with my next pick the last 27 rds - although you did grab some guys I had on my short lists.

I'm going to post my own thread and list the whole team later on. Looking forward to playing in a league with you again this year. We had a great battle last year and both of us faded down the stretch. (I did hold on to 3rd place luckily). ;)

RobG

#6 Post by RobG »

I would say early on, that you either took my player I wanted or after I picked, you took the guy I was debating on.

Rd 4) I wanted Zobrist there after already taking a pitcher. I haven't seen him go that early, so I was already writing him in. Obviously, I shouldn't have.

Rd 5) Since I took the starting pitcher in rd 4, I didn't want to go three in a row, but couldn't believe that Haren was still there. You got a steal. I took Phillips to compensate for the missed Zobrist pick, but in the end, both of us were looking at similar combos with Greinke/Phillips vs. Haren/Zobrist. I would have rather had your guys.

Rd 6) I had Morse and Konerko as the guys...you took Morse, I went with the other.

Rd 7) Choo was a gift, enough said.

Rd 8) I had Maybin as my guy there, but Gekko snaked him. Was set on Cuddyer, but of course you picked him, so went with solid stats and a higher batting average with Butler. I wasn't in love with that pick.

Rd 16) I wanted Willingham, but you snagged him, so I went with his brother in Carlos Quentin. Those were the last 30 homer upside guys on the board.

As far as Jeter...I really didn't want him, but as you said, he was the best SS on the board.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm in Friday's with what is being called a loaded lineup -- we'll see what happens.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

RobG

#8 Post by RobG »

Todd Zola wrote:I'm in Friday's with what is being called a loaded lineup -- we'll see what happens.
Good luck. I wanted to join that one as well, but will be traveling. I will be anxious to see how that one plays out.

deansdaddy

#9 Post by deansdaddy »

Funny - Willingham was a fall back for me after Gekko snagged Rasmus.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

Todd Zola wrote:I'm in Friday's with what is being called a loaded lineup -- we'll see what happens.
And I get the 3rd pick

Could be my second SD with Phat Albert.

Or, maybe not...
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rudygamble

#11 Post by rudygamble »

Hi Captain Hook -
Just wondering how this team did?

Thanks -
Rudy

Captain Hook

#12 Post by Captain Hook »

rudygamble wrote:Hi Captain Hook -
Just wondering how this team did?

Thanks -
Rudy
Hi Rudy - this was from last season, and despite the injuries and those who never were available to play I was in contention at many points but ultimately finished 4th or 5th IIRC. As many pitchers as I had I could have used more.

rudygamble

#13 Post by rudygamble »

Thanks CH -
I am 30 rounds into my first 50 round slow draft and it helps to see a case study.

I think I am heeding your advice on SPs. Already have 10 in the first 30 picks.

Rudy

Captain Hook

#14 Post by Captain Hook »

Don't forget your closers and closers in waiting

You want 25 pitchers but you need enough saves to be competitive and setup pitchers with great ratios and strikeouts who might get saves are valuable too

rudygamble

#15 Post by rudygamble »

I drafted Greg Holland and Huston Street then handcuffed with Gregerson (whom I like as an MR as well). Hoped to handcuff Holland with Herrera but he got snagged earlier than I expected (29th round). 54 relievers by my count have been drafted so far so I'm slightly below league pace. I'll likely snag an MR in the next couple rounds.

I did mentally note how your team last year was saved (pun intended) by Wilhelmsen. Ended up being a fantastic pick.

Captain Hook

#16 Post by Captain Hook »

rudygamble wrote:I drafted Greg Holland and Huston Street then handcuffed with Gregerson (whom I like as an MR as well). Hoped to handcuff Holland with Herrera but he got snagged earlier than I expected (29th round). 54 relievers by my count have been drafted so far so I'm slightly below league pace. I'll likely snag an MR in the next couple rounds.

I did mentally note how your team last year was saved (pun intended) by Wilhelmsen. Ended up being a fantastic pick.
Thanks - a few to keep your eye on

1) Josh Fields, HOU - could end up being the closer there - Veras doesn't inspire a lot of confidence

2) Sean Marshall, CIN - we don't know if Chapman will remain a SP ... but we do know that Broxton can't go every day so Marshall if nothing else will get some LH save opps and will give you great numbers when you do deploy him

3) Heath Bell, AZ - Towers knows him better than anyone and Putz is another guy who can't go every day ... I know it's popular to think David Hernandez, but .....

rudygamble

#17 Post by rudygamble »

Thanks for the tips.

Agree that Marshall is an MR to watch - he got nabbed as part of the top MR (non-partial closer) tier with Storen, Hernandez, and Gregerson b/w rounds 23-25 (Jansen was picked in Round 12).

Veras is definitely the iffiest closer out there. Fields is intriguing. You could probably choose 3 closers for Astros and I still might take the 'field' bet on largest # of Saves this season. But definitely a good late round flier.

Interesting on Heath Bell. His 2012 stats look a lot better in the light of day. Wouldn't be the first time that the top MR/seemingly closer in waiting gets passed up.

*UPDATES*
- Was able to get Jared Burton in the 32nd round as my 4th reliever. Venters was surprisingly available but Burton feels like the better bet for a 2013 closing opportunity

- Took Carter Capps in the 34th round. LOVE this guy's stuff. 98 MPH fastball. Seems like he has better K-potential and control than Pryor. I think he has Janzen/K-Rob lite potential this year and is next in line should Wilhelmsen falter or get injured