New League I joined with interesting rules/format

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

New League I joined with interesting rules/format

#1 Post by viper »

I joined a league which is a bit different. I am partnering with someone I know and must admit I am still learning a few things about the rules. But what I have learned so far makes the league quite unique. It may seem simple but as I have heard it said “Not so fast my friend”

The league has 14 teams. It is a weekly points type of league. Points are real simple.

For hitting, add the Runs and RBIs for all eight position players [five infielders and any 3 outfielders].You also get a UT guy. For him you designate either Runs or RBIs, not both. Once you get a grand total for the week, it is ranked with all 14 teams. Your team is awarded from 14 [best] to 1 [worst] points.

For pitching, you have 5 SPs and 2 MR/CL. Starters get 3 points per win. The non-starters get 1 point per win and 1 point per save. Again at week’s end you add your points and rank order the teams. It is the same 14 through 1 point allocations.

The team with the most points wins the week. Not sure if there is a second place prize.

Over the season you have some number of weekly contests and there are also awards for the top three cumulative point totals.

You draft a 25 man squad so you will have 16 active players and 9 reserves. Position eligibility is looser than many leagues with 10 game initial requirements and 10 game in-season requirements.

Here is the quirk. Free agents are acquired on Memorial Day, at the All Star break and on September 1. An injured player takes up a bench slot until Memorial Day. A few days before the Free agent get together, every team must reduce there roster to 19 players. That is to say, if you do not have an injured player, you must release 6 players. The release is mandatory. The free agent pool will get an influx of players. I believe that if you DL a player, he must stay until the next Free Agent period but that may not hold true.

My first thoughts are that multi-positional eligibility is huge. Also, a DH-only player will really clog up your UT slot. Two-start pitchers are a must but just how many bench slots can you allocate to starters given you have 9 offensive starters? You best have a backup catcher in order to avoid an open hole.

I find the scoring rules nice because teams out of the overall hunt can still have a few big weeks late in the season you win some money [each team puts in $240 so the overall pot is significant]. The free agent rules are like a Draft & Hold league but with fewer players. The forced return of 6 players to the player pool before each free agent period is something I have never come across. I did discuss with my partner the possibility of have 6 DLed guys and the end of period one. They could be placed on the DL and account for all the required moves. Of course at the next free agent date, if they all were now healthy, you would have to release 12 players.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

AllstonRockCity

Re: New League I joined with interesting rules/format

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Hmmm, very interesting indeed.

For hitters it makes BAvg and lineup spot the 2 most important factors. Unless they're in 1 of the best lineups in baseball I can't imagine you'd want any 7,8, or 9 hitters. It would be intersting to see what the $values are if you set the cat weights in the CVRC to 0 for hr and sb and something like1.7 each for rbis and runs and 1.6 for avg.

For pitchers i'd want at least 2 and preferably 3 closers. With 14 teams if more than 2 teams roster 3 closers that would force other teams to have only 1. At least 7 starters: 3 or 4 guys you leave alone then 1 or 2 spots to utilize 2 start pitchers for that week.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

I'm thinking 3 closers and 9 starters.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

AllstonRockCity

#4 Post by AllstonRockCity »

that would put 5 P's on your bench. leaving you 1 spot each for a C, CI, MI, and OF. yup, looks perfect.