Fielder to the Tigers

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Fielder to the Tigers

#1 Post by aburt19 »

Rotoworld is reporting that Fielder and the Tigers have agreed to a nine year contract.

That certainly more than replaces Victor Martinez. :)

SteveB
Major League All-Star

Re: Fielder to the Tigers

#2 Post by SteveB »

214 million a little over 23 million per year. Why do i think in year 6 they will be regretting this deal ?

jkadagio

#3 Post by jkadagio »

Heyman was tweeting that Fielder will be the 1B. Any thoughts on where Cabrera might move to?

aburt19
Major League Elite

#4 Post by aburt19 »

jkadagio wrote:Heyman was tweeting that Fielder will be the 1B. Any thoughts on where Cabrera might move to?
Cabrera used to play 3B, but I thought they moved him to first because of his defense. I would guess he will DH this season.
But who knows what they'll do in 2013 with Cabrera, Fielder and Martinez on the roster.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by SteveB »

I was just reading that as well...HAS to be 3b or DH

Man Miggie with duel eligibility has me a little giddy

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

And once again, Boras has found his annual "One Dumb Owner".
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

aburt19
Major League Elite

#7 Post by aburt19 »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:And once again, Boras has found his annual "One Dumb Owner".
Sometimes it makes you wonder how the owner actually made enough money to buy the team. ;)

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#8 Post by CubFan »

SteveB wrote:214 million a little over 23 million per year. Why do i think in year 6 they will be regretting this deal ?
While Detroit will probably regret the contract in year 6 it won't matter if they get to the W.S. a couple of times. This pusts them back into the driver's seat in the AL Central and what little chance the Royals had at contending in a couple years just got quite a bit harder. Dayton will likely have to open the purse strings and get in a couple of stud pitchers by 2014 if these youngsters they have in the minors don't pan out......and I'm not holding my breath that they will.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

CubFan wrote:
SteveB wrote:214 million a little over 23 million per year. Why do i think in year 6 they will be regretting this deal ?
While Detroit will probably regret the contract in year 6 it won't matter if they get to the W.S. a couple of times. This pusts them back into the driver's seat in the AL Central and what little chance the Royals had at contending in a couple years just got quite a bit harder. Dayton will likely have to open the purse strings and get in a couple of stud pitchers by 2014 if these youngsters they have in the minors don't pan out......and I'm not holding my breath that they will.
Cautionary tale ...weren't we saying similar things about the Phillies last year?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

aburt19 wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote:And once again, Boras has found his annual "One Dumb Owner".
Sometimes it makes you wonder how the owner actually made enough money to buy the team. ;)
Ever heard of pizza?

Guess what the profit margins are.....

captgus
Major League Veteran

#11 Post by captgus »

CubFan wrote:
While Detroit will probably regret the contract in year 6 it won't matter if they get to the W.S. a couple of times. This pusts them back into the driver's seat in the AL Central and what little chance the Royals had at contending in a couple years just got quite a bit harder.
I agree and Cabrera at third base is infinitely better than another of Brandon Inge and his .220 batting average.

Have the specifics of the deal made the light of day yet? I suspect the deal is heavily back loaded.
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

aburt19
Major League Elite

#12 Post by aburt19 »

Captain Hook wrote:
aburt19 wrote:
Ever heard of pizza?

Guess what the profit margins are.....
I guess that is what I mean. An owner is smart enough to get rich at a business. What happens to that business sense
when he buys a baseball team?

Captain Hook

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

aburt19 wrote:And once again, Boras has found his annual "One Dumb Owner".
Sometimes it makes you wonder how the owner actually made enough money to buy the team. ;)[/quote]

Ever heard of pizza?

Guess what the profit margins are.....[/quote]

I guess that is what I mean. An owner is smart enough to get rich at a business. What happens to that business sense
when he buys a baseball team?[/quote]

Other owners I might jump on your ship but Illich WANTS to win....he wants to do something GREAT for the fans and the city. .....I don't see anything wrong with that

deansdaddy

#14 Post by deansdaddy »

Weird signing for the Tigers IMO - if they indeed shift Miggy to 3B - that will be one UGLY infield defensively.

Miggy/Peralta/Raburn or Santiago and Fielder.

Captain Hook

#15 Post by Captain Hook »

There is no rush to move Miggy - THIS year he and Prince can alternate at 1B and DH
In 2013, VMart's last year of his contract there is a log jam and maybe the see if Cabrera can/wants to play 3B or LF? And people are forgetting he came up as a shortstop and moved to third and then to the outfield for the Marlins

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#16 Post by SteveB »

good point i was wondering that myself and was just looking over the detroit P again. Does anyone think this could hurt Miguel? In terms of durability or mentally if he is playing the hot corner?

Dugan
Major Leaguer

#17 Post by Dugan »

With other parts probably having to be involved...but what about a Hanley-Miggy deal? Hanley could stay at SS with Peralta moving back to 3B.

AllstonRockCity

#18 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Captain Hook wrote:There is no rush to move Miggy - THIS year he and Prince can alternate at 1B and DH
In 2013, VMart's last year of his contract there is a log jam and maybe the see if Cabrera can/wants to play 3B or LF? And people are forgetting he came up as a shortstop and moved to third and then to the outfield for the Marlins
Yes (I mean, no, I haven't forgotten). But that was many years, many drinks and a whole bunch of pounds ago. If he could still man the hot corner they wouldn't have moved him across the diamond in the 1st place. I can't imagine he moves back, he wasn't good there defensivley when he was spry.

I'm with Ryan, this is 1 weird signing

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Just a thought .... anyone know it the Ilitch family will keep the team should something happen to Mike? After all, he is 82 years old ...if they have to sell, this contract may be an albatross to any potential new owners should that case come to pass.

AllstonRockCity

#20 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Just looking at DET's contractual obligations:

VMart is signed through 2014
Miggy is signed through 2015
Prince is signed through 2020

So, that means there are 2 years where all 3 of them will be under contract and able to play baseball. Either Miggy changes positions or 1 of the 3 is dealt next offseason. While these are all great players, I can't imagine they'd find a trade partner for any of them considering DET would be looking for an impact player in return, not a package of prospects and salary relief.

That leaves the Miggy changing positions option. I guess they have 14 months to figure out if that will work. Maybe they acquire a really superb defensive RF and just have him and Jackson shaded towards left where Miggy will stand with his glove. I do think I remember him making a fantastic catch in right in the WS vs NYY. Seems like eons ago though.

TheRunner77

#21 Post by TheRunner77 »

First off, he's younger than Pujols. By year 6, he should still be young enough to man 1B.

Second, if he gains 10 or more pounds per year, at some point they'll cart him into a DH slot. Which is likely why these kind of deals make more sense in the AL.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#22 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Here's one reason they may NOT, Steve ...the italics and bolding are mine;
But as one baseball executive, noting that the Tigers are actually revenue-sharing recipients, said the other day: “There’s no way to stop an old owner like Ilitch from digging into his own pocket and breaking the bank in an all-out effort to win, other than a hard salary cap.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... z1krA278tZ
This from Bill Madden's 1/29/12 column from the NY Daily News! Now THIS is one way I NEVER envisioned revenue sharing working.