NYY trade Montero to SEA for Pineda

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
AllstonRockCity

NYY trade Montero to SEA for Pineda

#1 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Per the world wide leader in sports

I can't believe SEA would make that trade. Does this say more about Pineda or Montero?

Who gets all those DH ABs for NY? Andruw? The person they are about to acquire?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: NYY trade Montero to SEA for Pineda

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
Who gets all those DH ABs for NY?
CC :lol:
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

southpaw

#3 Post by southpaw »

What a coup for the Yanks.
I see them using the DH spot similarly to what they did in the 2nd half last year - gives A Rod and Jeter some semi-days off filling in at DH while Nunez gets some spot starts. Keeps those old bodies fresh all year.
Or might they bring back Damon on a one year deal?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

southpaw wrote:What a coup for the Yanks.
I see them using the DH spot similarly to what they did in the 2nd half last year - gives A Rod and Jeter some semi-days off filling in at DH while Nunez gets some spot starts. Keeps those old bodies fresh all year.
Or might they bring back Damon on a one year deal?
Of course everyone is going to be rumored -- the Prince rumors have already hit Twitter nation. I have also read Carlos Pena, which makes some sense. Perfect for that park, can sort of platoon with ARod at DH and give Teix some time off as well. The Yanks have a bunch of 4th OF types. Pena makes a ton of sense.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

garadand

#5 Post by garadand »

I could see the yankees trading for a guy like Mark Trumbo, back up Tex and get a lot of AB's at DH... On another front ff the Rangers sign Prince... Nelson Cruz could become available for the right price also.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by SteveB »

AS i watch theGiants and Lincecum so far apart on a long term deal i was beggining to see....Felix, PIneda, and Lincecum possibly happening. Guess thats gone I just cant believe they made that trade.

deansdaddy

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

Yanks are definitely not done I would guess. Pineda makes their at least one of their two big SP prospects expendable. Baunelos or Betances could be moved along with Swisher to bring in a big bat.

TheRunner77

#8 Post by TheRunner77 »

The Yanks got the best of this deal. Montero's bat plays beautifully at DH but his fielding makes him too much of a liability to be a regular as a position player -- not to mention that he's far too young to be a full-time DH. Trading a no. 2 starter for a player who is fielding-challenged -- and throwing in Campos to boot. This possibly closes the lid on SEA pursuing Fielder, if that wasn't dead already.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

In Seattle's defense, there is no way they are going to attract a big name bopper as a free agent, so they need to trade for one. OTOH, let's pretend they are contending, they will be able to get a decent pitcher to sign so from that angle, it at least makes some sense. Montero is just 22, let him have his growing pains while the team continues to build.

Was he enough for Pineda? I don't know, I suppose in a vacuum no. But could they have received back such a young hitter with as much potential somewhere else? I can't think of one.

southpaw

#10 Post by southpaw »

But compare what the Yanks gave up to what Cincinnati gave up for Latos and the Nats gave up for Gio. And I would take Pineda over either of the other two.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

Montero>>>Rizzo
Montero>>>>>>>>>Norris

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#12 Post by CubFan »

Gotta wonder if Seattle shopped him around or if they were dead set on Monterro. If the former I wonder what the Royals would have given up for a top tier pitcher like Pineada? I'm not ready to anoint the pitching in their farm system as the way they will stock their rotation. Duffy has control issues and has shown to be hittable. Montgomery took a big step back and Lamb had major arm surgery. A trade may be the best way to get a top tier pitcher as they WONT pay for one.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Seattle has long coveted Montero.

it has also been reported that the Yankees have been after Felix -- so it could have been something as simple as "OK, what about Pineda instead?" and they jumped at the deal before shopping Pineda around.

It is easy to say "why did they accept before checking the market for Pineda?. But I bet we have all made a fantasy trade in that manner, especially if we are getting back someone we really like.

Also, realize that by shopping Pineda, you are inviting the Yankees to shop Montero. Chances are they would not find someone better than Pineda, but is it worth taking the chance?

At the end of the day, I think it has to do with how much the M's coveted Montero, and bringing this back to fantasy, we all have done some questionable things to secure someone we are bromantical with.

deansdaddy

#14 Post by deansdaddy »

Some real interesting aspects to this trade for fantasy players below the headline.

-Noesi likely has a real shot at cracking a Seattle rotation. Safeco field should make him an interesting late round pick with some upside.

-Danny Hultzen, Seattle's top pitching prospect likely has an even clearer road to a callup early in the year with Pineda gone.
He's a REAL sleeper for this year now after this trade IMO.

Also - with the Yanks signing Kuroda as well, the dominoes should start to tumble as far as Oswalt and E Jackson are concerned. Take the Yanks out of the equation, and both these guys have MUCH less leverage than they had just a day ago. Perhaps Seattle made this deal while knowing they could go out and snag Oswalt on a one year deal? Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them go out today and sign one of these two.

Captain Hook

#15 Post by Captain Hook »

southpaw wrote:But compare what the Yanks gave up to what Cincinnati gave up for Latos and the Nats gave up for Gio. And I would take Pineda over either of the other two.
Well let's look at what Oakland and San Diego did NOT get - a young, under club control, power hitter for the middle of their lineup who will hit 20+HR even in Safeco. No the Mariners didn't get three prospects but the one hitter they did get was the best hitter in all three trades.

And as Todd pointed out in another thread on this trade the Mariners aren't going to get FA hitters to choose Seattle over more hitter friendly environs so the ways to get them are to "grow" them and to trade for them. Right now their farm system has a handful of excellent pitching prospects and very few hitters so this was a good way to get a very productive bat into their lineup.

deansdaddy

#16 Post by deansdaddy »

Someone at the NFBC boards made a great point that the Yanks know they are stuck with 7 more years of Arod, 3 more of Jeter and 5 more teixeira. Arod in particular needs the DH spot going forward and that is what Montero looks like. Smart move by Yanks in light of their roster makeup.

southpaw

#17 Post by southpaw »

Captain Hook wrote:
southpaw wrote:But compare what the Yanks gave up to what Cincinnati gave up for Latos and the Nats gave up for Gio. And I would take Pineda over either of the other two.
Well let's look at what Oakland and San Diego did NOT get - a young, under club control, power hitter for the middle of their lineup who will hit 20+HR even in Safeco. No the Mariners didn't get three prospects but the one hitter they did get was the best hitter in all three trades.

And as Todd pointed out in another thread on this trade the Mariners aren't going to get FA hitters to choose Seattle over more hitter friendly environs so the ways to get them are to "grow" them and to trade for them. Right now their farm system has a handful of excellent pitching prospects and very few hitters so this was a good way to get a very productive bat into their lineup.
I'd prefer Yonder over Montero but I know Seattle didn't need another 1B. Just hitter vs hitter perspective, I think Yonder outperforms Montero over the next 5 years. Just a hunch.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Todd Zola »

southpaw wrote:
I'd prefer Yonder over Montero but I know Seattle didn't need another 1B. Just hitter vs hitter perspective, I think Yonder outperforms Montero over the next 5 years. Just a hunch.
I have never seen either guy live, but by numbers, especially since Montero is 2 years younger, Montero has a stronger pedigree.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#19 Post by SteveB »

so after reading a bit more and thinking on this one I think the trade is actually a decent one for both teams. Orginally i was thinking that NY fleeced them.

So how does this shake out then...you have Smoak, Carp, Casper Wells, and Montero right now to fil in 1B,DH,and left field. I think likely Wells will sit and back up but he should still get decent ABs..does anyone think Montero gets C eligibilty? With his move to SEA his ABs likely went way up and with Olivio already at C and Montero's defensive shortcomings its not likely he gets C right? Seems like a decent gamble as his draft position is much lower than the comparable C's would come out? anyone have thoughts on that aspect?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by Todd Zola »

Personally, I think the first thing Seattle does is show Montero where his locker is. Second, ask him to give them his catcher's mitt because he is not going to be needing it.

I think Carp may be the better hitter right now, but they need to see if Smoak can develop so that puts Smoak at 1B.

The question is now Carp versus Trayvon Robinson. Applying the same logic as above, Robinson should get the look, but I am not so sure they "owe" it to him as much as Smoak, so it may be Robinson that takes the biggest hit.

And lurking is Michael Saunders.

Actually, get rid of Saunders and suddenly there are enough AB to go around.