Carlos Quentin to San Diego

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Carlos Quentin to San Diego

#1 Post by aburt19 »

Carlos Quentin to San Diego for a couple of minor league pitchers.

Todd, they obviously didn't get the memo about having the trade early enough in the week to give you time to think
about how to spread the additional AB on the update. :lol:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Carlos Quentin to San Diego

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

We're OK. I can deal with anything until about 8 PM ET tonight without cussing.

That will give me ample time to update the regular stuff for download when everyone wakes up hungover tomorrow.

Then tomorrow I get to put the finishing touches on a little surprise :mrgreen:
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - I'm not loving this too much after drafting Quentin in the 11th rd of the JBL. I looked at him as a power boost to my lineup at that point - but the power surely takes a hit in SD. Before I think he has 30 hr upside (with good health) now I think I have to significantly downgrade that number to 20.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Power hit not as sever as may be perceived -- PETCO is neutral to RHB and Quentin pulls almost all of his HR. Downgrade, yes -- but it could be worse, he could be a lefty.

Anyone want to put odds on Q being moved to Boston at the trade deadline?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

This deal pretty much assures Kyle Blanks and Denorfia are fighting for the last OF slot - but does it mean that Alonso gets shifted back to 1B to compete with Rizzo?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:This deal pretty much assures Kyle Blanks and Denorfia are fighting for the last OF slot - but does it mean that Alonso gets shifted back to 1B to compete with Rizzo?
I think Alonso was already the full time 1B. Because it makes so much sense, it won't happen, but a deal involving Garza and Rizzo makes all the sense in the world. Actually, considering the lineage with the front offices, I bet it does happen.

The conundrum I am having is Venable versus Guzman as Blanks to me is a reserve at best. Assuming Rizzo is indeed moved, there is a spot for both Blanks and Denorfia.

Venable makes more sense as I cannot imagine Quentin and Guzman patrolling the corners, no matter how much ground Maybin can cover. Denorfia likely sees some defensive replacement AB either way.

deansdaddy

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - I too am trying to read the tea leaves and agree that Rizzo seems the most logical guy to be moved. I actually just drafted Rizzo in the 25th rd of this same draft hoping that he does land in Chicago. We shall see, we shall see...

TheRunner77

#8 Post by TheRunner77 »

Todd Zola wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote:This deal pretty much assures Kyle Blanks and Denorfia are fighting for the last OF slot - but does it mean that Alonso gets shifted back to 1B to compete with Rizzo?
I think Alonso was already the full time 1B. Because it makes so much sense, it won't happen, but a deal involving Garza and Rizzo makes all the sense in the world. Actually, considering the lineage with the front offices, I bet it does happen.

The conundrum I am having is Venable versus Guzman as Blanks to me is a reserve at best. Assuming Rizzo is indeed moved, there is a spot for both Blanks and Denorfia.

Venable makes more sense as I cannot imagine Quentin and Guzman patrolling the corners, no matter how much ground Maybin can cover. Denorfia likely sees some defensive replacement AB either way.
I feel as you do.

No question Alonso will play 1B, which also means the Pads won't feel compelled to rush Rizzo. Biggest PT loser is probably Guzman.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#9 Post by CubFan »

deansdaddy wrote:Well - I too am trying to read the tea leaves and agree that Rizzo seems the most logical guy to be moved. I actually just drafted Rizzo in the 25th rd of this same draft hoping that he does land in Chicago. We shall see, we shall see...
From Rotoworld: "During an appearance Wednesday on WGN radio in Chicago, Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said that he expects Bryan LaHair to be the club's starting first baseman this season."

LaHair at 29 is not someone to re-build around. Yeah he put up some really good numbers in AAA last year but there's a reason he's been in the minors except for his brief cups of coffee with Seatlle and Chicago. Rizzo didn't exactly earn himself any brownie points last year either but he's much younger and his ceiling is higher. Gonna be a long year in Chicago :cry:
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

deansdaddy

#10 Post by deansdaddy »

I can still see Theo dealing Garza for a package including Rizzo and Casey Kelly from SD. I think this would be a win-win for both squads. Theo accelerates the rebuild and he obviously knows what he's getting if he were to get back two of the prospects he sent to SD in the Adrian Gonzalez deal. SD gets a top notch arm for Rizzo - who is now blocked by Alonso, and by doing so doesn't have to worry anymore about the Gonzalez deal ever being labeled a total bust if Rizzo and Kelly don't pan out.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

I don't see Kelly being included. Garza is not cheap and they could not afford Latos long term. Garza is a rental or a trade chip for later.