Positional Value Tiers Question

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
steve9781

Positional Value Tiers Question

#1 Post by steve9781 »

Todd,

Any way we can get one for AL / NL only leagues ( only a mixed one now)? I know I could create one myself but I'm lazy :D Also wondering if this is something that can be programed to automaticly create with P.A.U.L for next year?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Positional Value Tiers Question

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Please check again, AL and NL only, both 4x4 and 5x5 are already provided.

The CVRC (PAUL has been retired) does actually generate tiers, just not in the same format. It can't be programmed to set it up in the same manner that I do the color-coded variety. I am in process of writing a primer explaining the CVRC operations to those not familiar.

The main difference is the CVRC lists players by position, but in order of actual value. The new format puts them in a value group, not differentiating between a $27 and a $29 player (as an example).

Also, please keep in mind that the more work we do on "presentation", that in theory can be done pretty easily by the user, that means less time producing the unique content that you can only get here.

That said, we will produce the tiers for the most common formats, 12 team AL only both 4x4 and 5x5, 13 team NL only both 4x4 and 5x5, 12-team mixed 5x5 and 15-team mixed 5x5. I may add 18-team mixed if there is a significant enough need.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

steve9781

#3 Post by steve9781 »

Sorry about that, you are correct sir! I understand your point about frills vs content, I'll always choose content. That's exactly why I followed you over from "the site that will remain nameless" I had already paid over there, and was pretty upset when I heard you left. I'll take your advice over the "big puppy" any day of the week! Really hoping your 3 year average file coming soon will include BABIP LD% info if possible and time permits.

Thanks!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Sorry, but presently it will not include LD% as that is a stat that needs to be purchased and we do not yet have the revenue stream to be able to do so, though we honestly believe we will be able to do so in 2010. That said, it is available for free at www.fangraphs.com and we could provide some Excel help for those that simply wanted to set up their own spreadsheet and pull in the data. We just can't take data someone else paid for and effectively charge people ourselves if we include it in Platinum content.

BABIP is something that can be calculated from regular stats. Including it would be more a matter of space than anything. Once we set up the format of the 3-year stats, 2009 projections and 2009 profile, we will gauge whether we have room. Otherwise, we can provide some Excel assistance for those that want to derive it from the projections.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

I just want to make a quick note about FB.com, since it was referenced above....

For those that have not read it, I explain the parting on my initial blog entry last December. The separation was amicable and we all remain on friendly terms. In fact, I am still a consultant for Chris and participated in their staff mock and contributed to the annual review of a draft run my good friend Perry Van Hook. Chris and I have different styles, different perspectives. He is a nice fit for FB.com, I decided I would be better suited for a more boutique site, hence the resurrection of Mastersball via the prodding and help of my friends at CREATiVE SPORTS.

I am flattered and appreciate that some of those following my work as well as Gary's the past few years have decided to join us over here. The fantasy world is definitely big enough for the both of us.

steve9781

#6 Post by steve9781 »

My references in the post above were more attemps at humor more than anything else, I'm glad your split from fb.com was amicable. I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone I know, for my $$$ you & Gary are the best in the business. Your articles on game theory changed the way I look at and value players and how to build a winning team. Your advice / projections helped me to win 4 out of 6 leagues last year, the 2 I didn't win I finished 2nd in each! The proof is always in the results!

cwk1963

#7 Post by cwk1963 »

steve9781 wrote:My references in the post above were more attemps at humor more than anything else, I'm glad your split from fb.com was amicable. I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone I know, for my $$$ you & Gary are the best in the business. Your articles on game theory changed the way I look at and value players and how to build a winning team. Your advice / projections helped me to win 4 out of 6 leagues last year, the 2 I didn't win I finished 2nd in each! The proof is always in the results!
Unless the fickle finger of fate happens to point in your direction.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

steve9781 wrote:My references in the post above were more attemps at humor more than anything else, I'm glad your split from fb.com was amicable. I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone I know, for my $$$ you & Gary are the best in the business. Your articles on game theory changed the way I look at and value players and how to build a winning team. Your advice / projections helped me to win 4 out of 6 leagues last year, the 2 I didn't win I finished 2nd in each! The proof is always in the results!
Steve9781 - my apologies and I didn't mean to imply otherwise and meant to preface my note with that clarification.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#9 Post by viper »

sock it to me
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Mojo Jojo

#10 Post by Mojo Jojo »

OMG

....say goodnight Dick

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#11 Post by viper »

good night dick
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer