Andrew Bailey to Red Sox

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Andrew Bailey to Red Sox

#1 Post by aburt19 »

It is being reported that Andrew Bailey has been traded to Boston for Josh Reddick and a couple of minor leaguers.

It looks like Boston is serious about moving Bard to the rotation with the acquisitions of Bailey and Melancon.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Andrew Bailey to Red Sox

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I would personally like to express my EXTREME gratitude for the teams completing the deal well in advance of the Jan 1 update!!!!

I am not 100% certain Bard goes to the rotation yet, but at this point, I do think one of Aceves or Bard does.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

TheRunner77

#3 Post by TheRunner77 »

Todd, I know how much you hate rankings.

Instead, what if I asked where you might "tier" Bailey?
Last edited by TheRunner77 on December 28th, 2011, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#4 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:I would personally like to express my EXTREME gratitude for the teams completing the deal well in advance of the Jan 1 update!!!!

I am not 100% certain Bard goes to the rotation yet, but at this point, I do think one of Aceves or Bard does.
The main reason I think that Bard goes to the rotation is that Bailey is under team control for a couple of years. If he was
a one year rental, he might be keeping the job until Bard is ready.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

TheRunner77 wrote:Todd, I kknow how much you hate rankings.

Instead, what if I asked where you might "tier" Bailey?
I have nothing against rankings so long as they are used in the proper context.

I rank closers a little differently than other positions as job security is a more significant element.

First off, while the projections have a different saves projection for each closer, in my head, I think "40" for the top tier, "35" for the second tier and less that 35 for the rest.

To be in the top tier, the closer needs to

a. have the job unequivocally
b. possess outstanding peripherals
c. not be a health risk

To be in the second tier, the closer needs to

a. have the job unequivocally
b. have everything else from the top tier. but has a wart of some sort

"B" can be a high walk rate, a low strikeout rate, a high home rate or an injury concern.

Bailey is a slight injury concern, so I would put him in with the second tier. The way to mitigate this is to handcuff him with the next in line, which would be Melancon or Bard.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Todd Zola wrote: I am not 100% certain Bard goes to the rotation yet, but at this point, I do think one of Aceves or Bard does.
Admittedly coachspeak, but new Boston pitching coach (actually old coach but new to Red Sox) Bob McClure said earlier this week that BOTH Bard and Aceves would (likely) be in the rotation (or at least are going to be looked at that way in spring training)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:I would personally like to express my EXTREME gratitude for the teams completing the deal well in advance of the Jan 1 update!!!!

The main reason I think that Bard goes to the rotation is that Bailey is under team control for a couple of years. If he was
a one year rental, he might be keeping the job until Bard is ready.
My slight pause here is Bob McClure has put closers in the rotation during the spring before (Soria) in an effort to make them use more pitches, so there could be an ulterior motive.

Plus, things like team control mean a little less to Boston that other squads, though it means something obviously. I think they want to fumigate the stench of Sept '11 ASAP more than be concerned with team control, at least for now.

Ultimately, Bard to the rotation may come down to whether or not the sign someone like Oswalt (would love that) or Kuroda (not so much).

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#8 Post by Black Sox »

As a Red Sox fan I really hope they don't move either one. I see Joba all over again. Hoping they make a deal for Garza don't see why the deal can't be 1 top pospect ( Middlebrook + what the Cubs already owe the Sox ) for Garza. Just my 2 cents.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by WillRoy »

Jobas a headcase in my view. Wish they had chosen a path (sp) and stuck with it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk
Storrs City Chess Company

aburt19
Major League Elite

#10 Post by aburt19 »

One other question that this trade brings up is what the Red Sox are going to do in right field. Before Reddick was traded
I assumed that he would be close to an everyday player. Now that he's gone, I have trouble believing that they will do the
same with Ryan Sweeney.

Do they have anyone else in the minors that is ready to play at the major league level, do they just play Sweeney or make
another move to cover right field?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:One other question that this trade brings up is what the Red Sox are going to do in right field. Before Reddick was traded
I assumed that he would be close to an everyday player. Now that he's gone, I have trouble believing that they will do the
same with Ryan Sweeney.

Do they have anyone else in the minors that is ready to play at the major league level, do they just play Sweeney or make
Kalish is a lefty as well so there is no platoon possibility there, but Kalish was, then wasn't and now is regarded as a better prospect than Reddick.

I see one more "major" move by Boston, either a 3rd starter type or a regular rightfielder.

If asked, I spend the bucks on the arm and get a platoon partner for Kalish and use Sweeney as the defensive sub for that partner. Pickings are slim, though. Cody Ross? Ryan Spilborghs? Andruw Jones?

They may also put Aviles out there (blech).

aburt19
Major League Elite

#12 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:
aburt19 wrote:One other question that this trade brings up is what the Red Sox are going to do in right field. Before Reddick was traded
same with Ryan Sweeney.

Kalish is a lefty as well so there is no platoon possibility there, but Kalish was, then wasn't and now is regarded as a better prospect than Reddick.

I see one more "major" move by Boston, either a 3rd starter type or a regular rightfielder.

If asked, I spend the bucks on the arm and get a platoon partner for Kalish and use Sweeney as the defensive sub for that partner. Pickings are slim, though. Cody Ross? Ryan Spilborghs? Andruw Jones?

They may also put Aviles out there (blech).
Rotoworld is reporting that Kalish had labrum surgery and will not be ready for the beginning of the season. That's part of
the reason that I figured another move might be in the works.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Ah, I had not yet perused the news yet. The surgery happened over a month ago which helps explain acquiring Sweeney as the Sox brass obviously knew.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#14 Post by CubFan »

With Bailey and Melancon now in the fold for the 8th and 9th Boston is pretty much going the Ogando route with Bard. I think
Boston will look for an everyday RFer. Sweeney, McDonald and Aviles are your options going into 2012. None of them are a regular IMO. Sweeney is a 4th or 5th OFer. I guess if push came to shove Sweeney could be carried as their RFer given their lineup. He is supposedly a good defender and can hit for average but no power whatsoever. Aviles is NOT an OFer and McDonald is a 5th OFer type.

Lester, Beckett, Bucholz are in the rotation. I figure Miller, Bard and Aceves will be given first shots to be added to the rotation. No one else on the 40-man roster intrigues me. I don't know the Boston pitchers in the minors but one of them will get a look.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Todd Zola »

The problem with that is the available starting pitching inventory right now exceeds that of the available right fielders.

My guess is they go after the pitcher now and get a rightfielder at the trade deadline. In July, it will be cheaper to get reinforcement in the OF as compared to SP. JMnotsoHO.