World Baseball Classic - any impact on numbers

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

World Baseball Classic - any impact on numbers

#1 Post by viper »

I don't see how the WBC would effect a hitter but I don't feel the same about pitchers. I don't recall its impact two years ago but I thought there was some. Could we have some insight on how this may effect pitchers?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: World Baseball Classic - any impact on numbers

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

IIRC. some pitchers did better than their career average, some worse, but not that significantly different that would randomly be expected.

So were some positively impacted? Yeah, probably. Were some negatively affected? Likely. But I'm not sure if this is predictable.

That said, people into this thing more than I will no doubt be spewing out some numbers, so we'll keep an eye out and maybe use this thread to post links to work on the topic.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotodog

#3 Post by rotodog »

I think you are asking about injury risk Viper.... I would be wary or certain pitchers pitching in the WBC as injury risks for the coming year. I remember seeing a study of the MLB pitchers that pitched in the last WBC, and off the top of my head there was some evidence that it did indeed take its toll the following season....If I can remember the link or study, I will post it...

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

yes, I care less about the WBC. What I am curious about is how participating i the WBC might impact their performance in the regular season. I recall it impacted Aylala's in that he tore something and was out for the year
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

cwk1963

#5 Post by cwk1963 »

I have heard Davey Johnson and especially Marcel Lachemann interviewed at length on XM about the very concern of over-working pitchers this time around. He was very specific about working very closely with each MLB team who had pitchers in the WBC to keep them as close to their normal ST schedule as possible. He said this would not be a one time conversation but that it would be ongoing. Team USAWBC realizes the potential impact to each MLB team and indicated they would not be taking the same approach with each pitcher but would tailor it to what that team's coaching staff wants.

viper
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by viper »

Why do I think the team Venezuela may not have the same concerns?

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

cwk1963

#7 Post by cwk1963 »

viper wrote:Why do I think the team Venezuela may not have the same concerns?
This is true for any other team and you have to look at them individually. The point is Team USA will be doing things differently (so they say) so we can be more comfortable at least on those guys.