Rule 5 Draft Results 2011

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
deansdaddy

Rule 5 Draft Results 2011

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

Here are the results (so far)

1) Houston Astros: Reiner Cruz, RHP, from Mets

2) Minnesota Twins: Terry Doyle, RHP, from White Sox

3) Seattle Mariners: Lucas Luetge, RHP, from Brewers

4) Baltimore Orioles: Ryan Flaherty, 3B-OF, from Cubs

5) Kansas City Royals: Cesar Cabral, LHP, from Red Sox

6) Chicago Cubs: Lendy Castillo, RHP, from Phillies

8) Pittsburgh Pirates: Gustavo Nunez, SS, from Tigers

21) Atlanta Braves: Robert Fish, LHP, from Angels

22) St. Louis Cardinals: Eric Komatsu, OF, from Brewers

23) Boston Red Sox: Marwin Gonzalez, 3B, from Cubs

25) Arizona Diamondbacks: Brett Lorin, RHP, from Pirates

29) New York Yankees: Brad Meyers, RHP, from Nationals

Captain Hook

Re: Rule 5 Draft Results 2011

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Good Job Ryan, I was just going to cut/paste this......BUT I am really surprised that the White Sox didn't protect Doyle after the AFL and all their discussions about him

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Wasn't sure if I should have put it in the Minor league section or not - but here it is.

You can obviously give a little more insight on these guys than I can. One name that I was surprised to see not protected was Marwin Gonzalez by the Cubs. I know that Castro is locked in at SS longterm, but with Aram posied to leave I thought they would have tried to hang on to him.

I was glad to see no Indians on the list of those players taken for a change.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

deansdaddy wrote:Wasn't sure if I should have put it in the Minor league section or not - but here it is.

You can obviously give a little more insight on these guys than I can. One name that I was surprised to see not protected was Marwin Gonzalez by the Cubs. I know that Castro is locked in at SS longterm, but with Aram posied to leave I thought they would have tried to hang on to him.

I was glad to see no Indians on the list of those players taken for a change.
Not sure why you are so high on Gonzalez? But I think the emerging 3B for the Cubs might be D.J. LeMahieu
Vitters has been in the system longer but not sure if he can hit at the major league level......pretty sure LeMahieu will if/when he gets the chance........AND the Cubs added four minor leaguers (including Vitters) that they didn't want to lose, so they may have had roster problems as well

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

from KFFL newsfeed

Astros | Marwin Gonzalez acquired
Thu, 08 Dec 2011 08:43:33 -0800

The Houston Astros acquired SS Marwin Gonzalez from the Boston Red Sox for P Marco Duarte and cash.

This makes a lot more sense than Boston acquiring him

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Yep - they must have had this in place beforehand.