Hot Stove/Winter Meetings News

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
deansdaddy

Hot Stove/Winter Meetings News

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

The annual Winter meetings signals that baseball is back and it is time to tune in and see who's headed where and who will land the biggest fish. It's also time to start posting some stuff here on the boards again and get the preseason juices flowing. Todd, Perry and the boys have gotten me started with the release of the first round of projections for the upcoming season. I already spent hours looking at the rankings and haven't even gotten around to the CRVC yet.

On to the news from today:

Before the meetings even started, the Miami Marlins started things off by signing Jose Reyes away from the Mets with a 6 year $106 million deal. They also gave Heath Bell a three year $27 million dollar deal to become their closer.

The biggest news today was the Marlins making an aggressive move on Albert Pujols. They reportedly offered Pujols a 10 year, $220 million contract. Pujols wanted a no trade clause, but the Marlins apparently said no. Pujols' camp always said they'd give the Cards a chance to match any deal, and it was reported that they did offer him another deal today.

The Cubs reportedly are very interested in Prince Fielder offering more money per year but not willing to go as many years as he is looking for. The Seattle Mariners apparently are also in play and some have called them the front runners. The Brewers offered him a 6 year, $120 million dollar deal, so that is the benchmark we have right now. I just watched Nolan Ryan on MLB Network dodge the question on Fielder by talking about how the Rangers "love" Mitch Moreland. I think they are in the mix and wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore jumped into the Fielder waters.

The Rangers did make some noise today by offering C.J. Wilson a 4 year $60 million offer. There were reports that Wilson had a 6 year offer from an unnamed team. Obviously, the Rangers aren't buying it for now. Your move C.J. . The Angels and Nationals are two other teams that have shown interest.

The Blue Jays acquired Sergio Santos from the White Sox for prospect Nestor Molina on Tuesday afternoon. Santos is slated to take over at closer for the Blue Jays next season.

Anyone hears any fun rumors or deals - feel free to post and discuss.

deansdaddy

Re: Hot Stove/Winter Meetings News

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

Mets Sandy Alderson gets busy tonight.

Signs RP Jon Rauch to 1 year, $3.5 million deal.

Trades OF Angel Pagan to the Giants for Andres Torres and Ramon Ramirez.

Also hearing they signed Frank Francisco to a two year deal for $12 million to be their closer.

That's three nice bullpen arms and a change of scenery swap of OF's.

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by mbendar »

As a Mets fan, I like getting Rauch and Ramirez, but Francisco has the potential to be a disaster. If he couldn't handle being a solid closer in Texas and Toronto, wait until he has a bad week in NY. I hope I'm wrong, but with the limited funds they have to spend, I would hope for better than $6 mil per year of it to go to Francisco.

Mark

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

First off - hope you are well Mark!

I hear ya on Francisco - but if you look at the current market for Closers, this deal isn't that bad. And they get to groom Parnell a little longer I guess.

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by mbendar »

Ryan,
Yes, doing well and hope you are as well.

I talked with Todd and am buying the 2011-2012 package, so will be on the site over the coming months.

Had a fairly successful season last year, finishing 3rd in my Auction and Double Play leagues. With the changes to the NFBC cost structure for their games, I have decided to enter the Main Event this year, so my prep will hopefully be better than ever. It will likely be in NY, so I'll see you there if you are a draft leader again.

Mark

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Not sure what I will be doing NFBC-wise at this point. My DP faded in the second half to 4th :evil: Hoping I can win my local football league so I can justify the Main entry fee and get back in there for a change. If not, I very well may facilitate again this year.

Did win a couple leagues and had some money finishes in some Sat leagues.

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

mbendar wrote:As a Mets fan, I like getting Rauch and Ramirez, but Francisco has the potential to be a disaster. If he couldn't handle being a solid closer in Texas and Toronto, wait until he has a bad week in NY. I hope I'm wrong, but with the limited funds they have to spend, I would hope for better than $6 mil per year of it to go to Francisco.

Mark
Mark it will be worth it to have FrankFrank in the bullpen if his wife comes to the stadium to watch him......hint watch her instead

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

Early reports from Day 3 of the Winter Meetings have the Padres trading a PTBNL to the Rockies for closer Huston Street. Colorado would have to be picking up at least half of Street's 2012 contract

deansdaddy

#9 Post by deansdaddy »

Reports have Pujols leaning toward staying in St. Louis. If so - good for the Cards, their fans and for baseball.

In the wake of missing out on Pujols the Marlins have now set their sights on Prince Fielder and C.J. Wilson. They may have offered Wilson the rumored 6 year deal, only now they may have actually offered it. Fielder I think makes a lot of sense for them , and I think that you can argue that signing him would be a better long-term deal than getting Pujols.

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

Mark Buehrle to the Miami Marlins - 4 years, $58 million

Likely means C.J. Wilson headed to Anaheim or back to Texas

deansdaddy

#11 Post by deansdaddy »

$58 million???

Wow - that is a surprise amount for Buerhle. Nice job by his agent on that one.

Nationals looked like they were going to nab Buerhle before Marlins swooped in and stole him. Maybe they get back in Wilson sweepstakes or turn to Roy Oswalt instead.

deansdaddy

#12 Post by deansdaddy »

The Padres obtained RP Huston Street from Colorado in a salary dump trade by the Rockies. Colorado will pick up $1 million of Street's $8 million salary for next year. I had read that they were willing to eat more of that salary, so the Padres must have stepped up and offered the best deal for the Rockies. I think Street's value gets a nice little bump moving into Petco, while Luke Gregerson's obviously takes a hit as he will remain in the setup role.

The other fallout of this deal for fantasy players is Rafael Betancourt looks like he will be penciled in to be the Rockies closer, keeping the role he claimed late in the 2011 season.

deansdaddy

#13 Post by deansdaddy »

Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that Albert Pujols will sign a 10-year deal with the Angels worth between $250-260 million.

"That certainly qualifies as a shocker. Everyone was talking about the Marlins as the biggest threat to sign the three-time NL MVP away from St. Louis just 24 hours ago, but the Angels came out of nowhere with what will be one of the biggest contracts in MLB history. Until now, Alex Rodriguez was the only player to secure a contract worth more than $200 million. According to Brown, Pujols made up his mind Thursday morning and the contract includes a full no-trade clause. Stay tuned for more details. "

Well - so much for the good feelings coming out of St. Louis. It looked like Pujols was staying put, but I guess the Angels were the mystery third team to get in the bidding.

No opt out clauses and a full no trade for Pujols.

Besides Angels fans and Pujols, the happiest person very well may be Prince Fielder. With Pujols finally off the market, teams left at the alter will turn their eyes his way.

deansdaddy

#14 Post by deansdaddy »

The Angels have now officially taken over as the unquestioned big winners of the winter meetings, trumping the Marlins by landing Pujols and follwing that up by reeling in the top SP on the market C.J. Wilson. They just signed Wilson to a 5 year $75 million deal. Reportedly the Marlins had offered Wilson a 6 year deal, but Wilson chose the ANgels so he could go home to Southern California.

He fits in REAL nice into the Angels rotation, where he doesn't have to be the Ace (or even the No 2 guy) and gets out of Arlington. The Angels just jumped to no worse than even with the Rangers at the top of the AL West Power Rankings. Nolan Ryan just reached for the Pepto Bismol.

Captain Hook

#15 Post by Captain Hook »

It would be better if Nolan reached for the checkbook and signed Fielder

That would really ramp up the LAA - TEX rivalry

deansdaddy

#16 Post by deansdaddy »

Captain Hook wrote:It would be better if Nolan reached for the checkbook and signed Fielder

That would really ramp up the LAA - TEX rivalry

Wouldn't surprise me at all Cap.

Ryan wasn't convincing at all on ESPN the other night when he dodged questions on Fielder talking about how much the team "loved" Mitch Moreland at 1B.

deansdaddy

#17 Post by deansdaddy »

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com was told by a high-ranking Marlins' official that the team "is not and will not" be pursuing free agent first baseman Prince Fielder.
Rosenthal was told that Fielder can't drive the Latin market they were hoping to pull in if they were successful in their efforts to sign Albert Pujols. The market for Fielder has been slow to develop until now, but look for that to change in a hurry. While there's no clear leader in the clubhouse right now, the Mariners, Cubs, Blue Jays and Rangers are all potential fits.

Makes sense from a marketing standpoint. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Marlins go after Yeonis Cespedes once he becomes a free agent.

deansdaddy

#18 Post by deansdaddy »

Dodgers signed RHP Aaron Harang to a two-year, $12 million contract with a mutual option for 2014.

This was rumored to be his landing spot and if you are going to leave the friendly confines of Petco then ending up in LA isn't that bad.

deansdaddy

#19 Post by deansdaddy »

Perry - what do you think the Pujols signing means for Mike Trout's playing time heading into next season?

IF they keep Morales and Trumbo. Does Trout start the year in AAA?

deansdaddy

#20 Post by deansdaddy »

Yu Darvish revealed on his personal blog that he will be posted for major league teams on Thursday.

Now that Pujols and C.J. Wilson (and Buehrle) are off the board, teams who missed on Pujols will turn their eyes towards Fielder obviously.

Darvish now becomes the top arm on the market. Maybe landing Darvish has been Nolan Ryan's plan all along - but they will have to be the highest bidder to get the chance to sign him. This will be the next big news of the day.

Captain Hook

#21 Post by Captain Hook »

deansdaddy wrote:Perry - what do you think the Pujols signing means for Mike Trout's playing time heading into next season?

IF they keep Morales and Trumbo. Does Trout start the year in AAA?
If the Angels still have all the current outfielders on their roster in March I think Trout would be sent to AAA

Rumors are they will try Trumbo at third base - nice to keep the bat in the lineup IF he can handle the defensive side. As I said before I am not sure at all that Morales will be ready for the start of the season

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#22 Post by aburt19 »

[quote="deansdaddy"]
He fits in REAL nice into the Angels rotation, where he doesn't have to be the Ace (or even the No 2 guy) and gets out of Arlington. The Angels just jumped to no worse than even with the Rangers at the top of the AL West Power Rankings. Nolan Ryan just reached for the Pepto Bismol.

I'd say that the Angels, as it stands now, have passed the Rangers to be the favorite in the West. When you get the #1
starter from your division rival and he's the #3 starter on your staff and have Pujols to jump start a morbund offense, that
changes the dynamic within the division. IMHO, the starting rotation with Weaver, Haren, Wilson and Santana ranks as the
best in the AL, regardless of who is the 5th starter.

The Rangers are going to have to make a move of some sort to remain at the top of the AL West.

Captain Hook

#23 Post by Captain Hook »

I still think the Rangers are slightly ahead of the Angels at this point - and both signings may push them to make a move to stay there. Even with Pujols in the Angels lineup, I like the Rangers batters better from top to bottom.

But there is a long way to opening day lineups - for both teams

Captain Hook

#24 Post by Captain Hook »

Arizona Diamondbacks apparently trading Jarrod Parker (1st round 2007) and OF Cowlin Cowgill to Oakland for Trevor Cahill and Craig Breslow.

IMO a lot to give up for Cahill - who had a great 2010 and not so good 2011

deansdaddy

#25 Post by deansdaddy »

Phillies send Ben Francisco to Toronto for P Frank Gailey. I guess Francisco will move into a platoon role with E Thames. I wouldn't be surprised if this means another move is coming regarding the Toronto OF.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#26 Post by Todd Zola »

deansdaddy wrote:Phillies send Ben Francisco to Toronto for P Frank Gailey. I guess Francisco will move into a platoon role with E Thames. I wouldn't be surprised if this means another move is coming regarding the Toronto OF.
To me, it clouds the Travis Snider situation more than anything. Rasmus in in CF, Joey Bats in RF. Maybe they deal Rajai Davis, but that's minor. They have Encarnacion to DH as Lawrie and Lind will play the corner infield spots.

EE is the pivot guy I think. Getting rid of him clears a spot for Snider. Handing him the DH job means no Snider.

Whose idea was it to start the 2012 Platinum Package on Dec. 1 anyway :lol:
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#27 Post by deansdaddy »

Good point on EE Todd, I wasn't even thinking about him. I was thinking more Snider (and/or R Davis) as the likely guy to be moved. But EE makes more sense. Who could use him? Seattle?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#28 Post by Todd Zola »

They could still move Snider -- perhaps for an arm.

EE's value is pretty low, especially with the likelihood of more Interleague games next season. I am guessing that unless you are a David Ortiz/Billy Butler type, teams are going to use the DH to rotate in several players.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#29 Post by deansdaddy »

According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Diamondbacks have agreed to terms with veteran reliever Takashi Saito.

This is a good signing for the D'backs who needed some setup help, Also, he gives a little insurance should Putz have any problems going forward.

The Brewers were trying to get him to resign on a one year deal, so I guess the D'Backs did better than that.