Assuming it's the AL West ...

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Assuming it's the AL West ...

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

that gets the Astros;
  • How much do values of Ranger and Angel players go up with a full slate of games against the Stros included?
  • How will MLB compensate for scheduling issues - is the "balanced" schedule finally done?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Assuming it's the AL West ...

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll take the first part -- none, at least when it comes to an objective projection engine.

Intuitively, it seems like they "should", but the noise in small samples, which this is, masks anything we can quantify. One outlier game and BOOM, the numbers are out of whack.

Obviously, in 3-5 years this will flesh itself out on its own (depending on how many years are used to establish a baseline), but until then, I am not going to make any adjustments to the engine.

That said, this game is all about our subjective assessments.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Curious and interesting response ... this will take some pondering ... I know quality of opponent really can't (hoo boy ...my error ...10/14/11) be quantified here so it may not fit the model - but an additional 12-18 games (guesstimate) against both Houston and NL opponents rather than the possibility of against the AL East (again ...can't tell till we see the schedules) - especially if those NL opponents come out of the NL West - might make us want to adjust our thinking for those items we can't quite put our fangers on.
Last edited by da_big_kid_94 on October 14th, 2011, 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll talk to Gary and see what he thinks -- maybe we can come up with a means to evaluate, hence incorporate division impact.

Of course, there will be no way we can account for how player movement changes the following season expectations so we'll need to go on previous year(s) numbers.

Also, I would only adjust players moving to another division, since, as suggested, the effect, if there is one, is already built into the player's numbers, which in turn are used as a foundation for future performance.

The idea would be an additional adjustment would have been made on Adrian Gonzalez moving from Petco to Fenway, over and above the park effect alteration for half his game due to park effect. There would be a second adjustment made to his road games because of "opponent effect." Same for Matt Garza going from the Trop to Wrigley last season, and everyone else switching divisions.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord