Thinking of going to the FB symposium in Arizona...

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
southpaw

Thinking of going to the FB symposium in Arizona...

#1 Post by southpaw »

Didn't know where to post this so my apologies if this is in the wrong forum...

Todd, you participate in that as a speaker, correct?
Just wondering if you have any insight as I've never been before and I think it would be a great experience.
What are the sessions like? You guys go to some of the fall league games, right?

Anyone been before that can share their experiences? Please enlighten.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Thinking of going to the FB symposium in Arizona...

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

southpaw wrote:Didn't know where to post this so my apologies if this is in the wrong forum...

Todd, you participate in that as a speaker, correct?
Just wondering if you have any insight as I've never been before and I think it would be a great experience.
What are the sessions like? You guys go to some of the fall league games, right?

Anyone been before that can share their experiences? Please enlighten.
On my way out, but yes, I am a speaker (as is Lawr) and we indeed attend AFL games.

Brian and Perry are regular attendees as well.

I'll add more later, but I promise, if you attend, you will not be disappointed. Well, not until you see what we all actually look like.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

:D Hopefully he doesn't care what we look like Todd

Southpaw (I am one too btw) - I promise you that outside a weekend of fantasy drafts there is nothing as good as the First Pitch get together in Phoenix. You will see at least one AFL game each day (in case you or anyone else reading this is not familar with the AFL it is Absolutely the BEST of the five professional leagues I atttend here in the Phoenix area) The conference not only lets you watch those games but do it with other fantasy nuts, some are the best writers/analysts in the country. Some of the participants are among the most successful NFBC and WCOFB players. There are a lot who play scoresheet and other variations as well as keeper and dynasty leagues. There will be two GREAT scouting sessions by guys you would be glad to talk to about baseball.

If none of that further piqued your interest (or any of the observers) this will do it - two-thirds of the Scottsdale Scorpions outfield this fall will be.........................

Bryce Harper, and .............

Mike Trout

ie, see you there :mrgreen:

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

I went several years ago - the one that Hansen and Wieters were playing in Arizona Fall Ball. I found the overall experience highly enjoyable.

Pluses were the daily forums which were will organized and allowed ample time for discussion. Many of the speakers offered insights which are not easy to grasp by just reading. The speakers were approachable after/between session. The AFL games were great as you not only get to see these hyped/over-hyped rookies-to-be but you can move around in the stands and have conversations with the forum speakers. If you don't rent a car, there seems to always be someone there who can provide a ride.

At the time, I was not playing any auctions leagues. There were portions of the forums I found myself less interested in. Times have changed and now about all I play is auction leagues. My guess is I would have more sessions I would enjoy.

The only downside for me - aside from travel costs - was I went alone. There were times I felt a bit like a 62 year old orphan. Fortunately Todd allowed me to tag along with him to games and a couple of lunches. I am forever grateful for Todd. Second in line for being grateful to is PVH who was equally kind to me. If I had someone there I knew, it would have been more enjoyable.

I will return some day. This year, my second grandchild [first girl] is due in late October but who really knows if it may be a week or two late. There is no way I can be in Arizona when she is born in Virginia.

I would strongly suggest you attend at least one time. You won't regret it.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer