Henderson Alvarez?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
special k
Major League Veteran

Henderson Alvarez?

#1 Post by special k »

Yes, I play in a 10-team AL-only league and just had a starter (Carrasco) go down. Henderson isn't on any prospect lists that I can find on Mastersball. Does anybody know anything about him? My guess is not worth a shot, snatch Wakefield, who might be available, but thought I'd double-check. Also wonder about long-term potential.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Henderson Alvarez?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

This is admittedly out of my element, all I can do is look at the numbers and read some reports. It appears as though Alvarez is a finesse type guy with excellent control. Previous to this season, he gave up far more hits than innings pitched, this season it is reversed which is why his stats are so appealing.

He sounds like someone from the Josh Tomlin mode - he'll need to carry over the excellent control and strikeouts as MLB hitters will likely get to him a bit.

The best advice I can give you if you pick up Wakefield is to avoid watching the games, just peak at the box score :lol:
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

special k
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by special k »

Rotoworld described him as "a hard-thrower," FWIW..

I'm going to sit back and wait, right now we don't know exactly who is available, Commish had a family issue, late transactions this week. Stewart, Francisco and Wakefield's status all now unknown, and with Furbush blowing up on me last night an MR might be a safer pick. He alone dropped me from .5 to 1.5 back! I might want to see a second start there before gambling on another rookie, for example, or on Wake. Tight race in all five pitching categories.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I stand corrected -- looks like he throws mid 90s but has had trouble developing his secondary pitches.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

special k
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by special k »

Crap shoot time either way!

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

This move has strange written all over it. Two days after Farrell says he wants Drabek to come up in September and gets some starts under his belt, they buy the contract of a 21 year old AA pitcher three weeks before roster expansion? It's not like they're trying to make the playoffs ...why not throw Litsch out there instead? Or if Drabek's such a priority, why not him? Very odd move.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

RandyKutcherHair

#7 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

Keith Law had Alvarez ranked as his #39 prospect on the 2011 midseason list.

BP had Trayvon Robinson as a 4 star prospect to start the season.

Would you guys take Alvarez or Trayvon Robinson with the #1 spot in a shallow AL Only root league?

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

RandyKutcherHair wrote:Keith Law had Alvarez ranked as his #39 prospect on the 2011 midseason list.

BP had Trayvon Robinson as a 4 star prospect to start the season.

Would you guys take Alvarez or Trayvon Robinson with the #1 spot in a shallow AL Only root league?
Robinson - not close IMO

RandyKutcherHair

#9 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

Thanks Capt. I'll grab Robinson.