Tommy Hunter?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
special k
Major League Veteran

Tommy Hunter?

#1 Post by special k »

Trying desperately to dump Pineiro in my standard AL 5X5. Need help in all categories except saves. Will be in on the bidding war for Ubaldo, but could also try to sneak Hunter in. Is there any hope for him in Baltimore? Or should I just go for a safe MR? That would mean only four starters, Felix, Colon, Carrasco and Romero. (Walden, Gregg, Aceves and Downs in pen, plus Pineiro).
Thanks

Captain Hook

Re: Tommy Hunter?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I have always liked Hunter's talent - so on the hope he gets to start - and the Orioles ARE desperate - I would add him over a MR

Also, put me in the camp that thinks there may well be an injury with Ubaldo - I would not spend highly on him (even in leagues where they would allow him as a keeper which is Wrong IMO, crossover players should never be able to be kept for the following season)

special k
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by special k »

Just got Hunter on waivers, ditched Pineiro. Hunter was on second week of waivers, meaning it was first-come, first-serve, he's mine. Hope Sox and Yanks don't beat up on Hunter too bad, but Hunter killed Sox in Fenway last year in a start I saw live just after the All-Star break. (The ultimate small-sample size, I know!)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

My $.02

Hunter -- at this time of the season, sometimes you have to throw analysis out the window and "hope". The ballpark should help, no doubt. The Orioles need SP for sure. Without knowing the details of your league, it likely is simply a matter of needs for you, strikeouts and wins versus WHIP and ERA.

Jimenez -- I'm not as concerned as Perry about an injury, perhaps because I am too trusting. I have to believe that the Indians would not have dealt that package had they not done their due diligence. Plus, perhaps more importantly, putting on my geeky numerish hat, Ublado has been the EXACT SAME PITCHER for the past three seasons in terms of skills. His K/9, BB/9 and HR/9 are quite consistent. But his surface stats, particularly ERA, have been all over the place due to the normal random variation associated with pitching, embellished by the fact Coors adds even more variation. His xFIP the past 3 seasons versus ERA:

ERA xFIP
2011 4.46 3.56
2010 2.88 3.60
2009 3.47 3.59

Ubaldo is a mid 3s pitcher. In 2009, his skills and results were in sync. Last season, his results surpassed his skills, call it lucky if you wish. This season, his results are poorer than his skills, call it unlucky if you want.

With that said, his velo is down 2-3 mph, which may be an injury. However, the loss in velocity is NOT reflected in his peripherals. There is still a disconnect between his skills and surface stats, regardless of mph.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#5 Post by CubFan »

Hunter is also available for FAAB in our league. Who'd you rather have ROS....Colon or Hunter? As many have speculated will Colon start to wear down since he hasn't throw this many innings in over 2 years. Lasted only 5 innings yesterday against an average Oriole lineup due to a high pitch count. I don't need the innings. Want to keep my ERA and WHIP low and with 6 starters that may not be the best thing. Anyone have a comment on McGee from TB....worth a $1 or $2 flyer. I'd dump Dotel.

As for Ubaldo I also wonder about any adjustment coming over to the AL with the DH vs a pitcher hitting. Observations over the years seems to indicate non-elite pitchers coming from the NL to AL tend to struggle more than vice-versa.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

special k
Major League Veteran

#6 Post by special k »

Re: Jimenez, 4.46 era overall, 5.55 at Coors Field. Hmmm.
Any league adjustment might be offset by getting away from Colorado.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

special k wrote:Re: Jimenez, 4.46 era overall, 5.55 at Coors Field. Hmmm.
Any league adjustment might be offset by getting away from Colorado.
With the huge variance in Ubaldo's ERA vs. expected ERA, I would focus on home/road skills and not ERA.

That said, yes, in general, the park effect from COL to CLE could offset the DH factor.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

CubFan wrote:Hunter is also available for FAAB in our league. Who'd you rather have ROS....Colon or Hunter? As many have speculated will Colon start to wear down since he hasn't throw this many innings in over 2 years. Lasted only 5 innings yesterday against an average Oriole lineup due to a high pitch count. I don't need the innings. Want to keep my ERA and WHIP low and with 6 starters that may not be the best thing. Anyone have a comment on McGee from TB....worth a $1 or $2 flyer. I'd dump Dotel.

As for Ubaldo I also wonder about any adjustment coming over to the AL with the DH vs a pitcher hitting. Observations over the years seems to indicate non-elite pitchers coming from the NL to AL tend to struggle more than vice-versa.
For this year - Colon - sure some danger of wearing down BUT plays for the Yankees

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Captain Hook wrote:I have always liked Hunter's talent - so on the hope he gets to start - and the Orioles ARE desperate - I would add him over a MR

Also, put me in the camp that thinks there may well be an injury with Ubaldo - I would not spend highly on him (even in leagues where they would allow him as a keeper which is Wrong IMO, crossover players should never be able to be kept for the following season)
I concur ... Ubaldo has a very sensible contract ....one that doesn't get dealt ...especially if it's for your #1 starter. Buster Olney reported that the Yankees and Red Sox both asked for Jiminez to take a physical and were denied by the Rockies. The Rockies did allow the Indians that courtesy - coincidentally that GM used to work in the Rockies organization. Makes one wonder.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams