Hughes or McCarthy

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
special k
Major League Veteran

Hughes or McCarthy

#1 Post by special k »

AL-Only, 10-team standard 5X5. Must choose between Hughes and McCarth and waive the other by Sunday. I have offered both of them, plus Andrew Miller, to a Red Sox fant for Romero, which may solve the problem.
But most likely I will choose.
I am in first place by a point at the break in a two-team race. First in wins by one, could drop three places. Fourth in ratio, could move up one, drop three. Fifth in ERA, could move up 2/3, not likely down.
Staff is Hernandez, Miller (Hughes and McCarthy both attached, can keep 1 of 3), Colon, Tomlin, Carrasco, Pineiro, Walden, Downs and Aceves.
Thoughts, please, now that projections have them down to $1 apart the rest of the way? Looks like the Ws and Ks potential goes to Hughes, WHIP/ERA to McCarthy, at least on the face of it.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Hughes or McCarthy

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

If you are using the current projection as your basis, you need to take into consideration that McCarthy's value is a little tempered due to 20 fewer innings. The fewer innings obviously are because McCarthy is a bit of a health risk. If you think he is okay for the second half, he is probably the better choice, On the other hand, Hughes is also an injury risk.

For me, McCarthy is a little safer. I think he is a little less of a performance risk than Hughes and I'll call the injury risk a wash.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

I would make MORE trade attempts
including trying to trade both to get less risk

but would keep McCarthy over Hughes

special k
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by special k »

I am trying to trade both; my trade partner - the only guy who has two open (disabled or sent-to-minor) slots, important in our league in this situation - is holding out for my $1 Tomlin in the deal, however, and has few other interesting trade chips. We'll see. I can probably do Tomlin for Romero straight up and keep McCarthy if I have to.

special k
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by special k »

Traded for Romero and Gregg, surrendering Tomlin and Miller, with Hughes, McCarthy, Matusz and Cobb attached to Miller through a ridiculous series of injuries. My trading partner has two openings (Carmona DL, Duffy minors) into which to slot Hughes and McCarthy, and is in ninth and gets the only keeper in the deal, Tomlin. I should get a point in Ks and two in saves, wins/ratio/era will remain crap shoots. Given that I am now in second, a half-point behind, to a team that has more value than I do overall per Mastersball's rest-of-the-way projections, seemed necessary.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Good Luck with your trade - certainly looks like it could help