AL Pitchers

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
yankee7

AL Pitchers

#1 Post by yankee7 »

Who has the better second half?

Ervin Santana, Gavin Floyd, Alexi Ogando?

yankee7

Re: AL Pitchers

#2 Post by yankee7 »

I'd like to add a 4th pitcher to rank.

Best 2nd half?

Ervin Santana, Floyd, Ogando, or Brandon Morrow?

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

If forced to choose from this bunch I might throw my money on Santana. He's pitched better than his record would indicate and can rack up the K's at a higher rate than the other two choices. Ogando has been very good, but has shown signs of slowing down already and will be facing the Texas heat and a likely innings limit in the coming months. The biggest plus he has is a good offense backing him up,( something that has cost Santana a bunch of potential W's). He's actually a sell high guy in my book again after bouncing back with a couple good starts recently. Floyd I think is a distant third in this group. He'll hurt your ratios more than the other two and has been particularly bad at home this year, which is troubling.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

The recently posted rest of the year projections have them Ogando, Santana, Morrow and Floyd, but as Ryan suggests, the choice may not be so objective.

The algorithm cannot account for the factors Ryan alludes to about Ogando, and I will add on he has ALREADY surpassed his innings career high.

We also don't know the context of your question. What type of league is it? What stats do you need? Are you looking for safe or risky because if you need to make up ground, Morrow is the highest risk, highest reward option.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

yankee7

#5 Post by yankee7 »

10 team 5x5 AL only

I'm first in saves, by a lot, and last in wins, by a little.

Middle of the pack in ERA, WHIP, and K's. Those three categories are so tight, there have been daily 8 to 10 point swings by teams.

I have 47 hitting points, so I guess I'm looking more for safety than high risk/reward.

I'm trading a closer for one of these middle of the road starters. All the aces are off the table.

Two other possible SP's available are Scott Baker and Jeff Niemann. Either of those more attractive than Santana or Morrow?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

If you are looking safe, I would take Morrow out of the equation. He's the guy you want if you are behind and need to make up ground, but if you come up short, you would have come up short anyway.

Baker is #2 after Ogando...if...wait for it...he is healthy. He is supposed to be okay, but he had a twinge before the break so you never know.

None of them are "safe". If you buy into the concern about Ogando and regression, Ervin is probably the best mix of talent and health risk.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

My first answer was Santana

Baker might be better....but I would be concerned about the W factor if the Twins fall out and trade Cuddyer and some other parts while the Angels rate to be in the race in the West all year