Mike Trout called up

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

Mike Trout called up

#1 Post by Bodhizefa »

I'm not sure if it's just to fill in for the next three days while Bourjos heals from a hammy strain. If Bourjos' injury isn't that severe, I could see him being demoted after the break.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Mike Trout called up

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Now that he's up, I hope he gets whatever playing time is necessary to burn a year of fantasy ownership for the bastards that have him on their farm roster, especially those that have him because I traded him away :lol:

Sour grapes aside....

The Angels would not have called him up to sit, especially with the ASB coming up. That said, I know the guy puts his uniform on in a phone booth and can leap tall buildings with a single bound, but he is just 19....

They have a spot on the 40-man roster (Kazmir) so that is not an issue. Their infield depth is already just Izturis and Branyan so a release of Branyan is unlikely, unless Conger can back up 1B.

They are carrying 3 catchers so a move there is possible. They could also send Chatwood down so he either keeps pitching during the break, or just cosmetically since he isn't needed for a little while and they can keep him IP tempered.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by Bodhizefa »

Todd Zola wrote:Now that he's up, I hope he gets whatever playing time is necessary to burn a year of fantasy ownership for the bastards that have him on their farm roster, especially those that have him because I traded him away :lol:
LoL... but no, you're not bitter ;)

I have him in various leagues, and I'm super stoked. He may only be up a short time if Bourjos is a quick healer, but I'll be watching every single game (yay M's!) to see Trout play. I haven't been this excited about a prospect in an awful long time.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Bodhizefa wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:Now that he's up, I hope he gets whatever playing time is necessary to burn a year of fantasy ownership for the bastards that have him on their farm roster, especially those that have him because I traded him away :lol:
We'll see how bitter I am in October. I traded him (and Moustakas) for pieces that got me 2nd place in the XFL last year and in contention this season and hopefully next. Though, assuming the principles do not get hurt before Sunday, I am about to announce an XFL deal where I trade away some dude from the Mariners that I got with the #1 reserve/farm pick last March (keeping Perry is suspense.)

If I am going to preach "go for it", I better practice it.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by Bodhizefa »

Todd Zola wrote:
Bodhizefa wrote:
We'll see how bitter I am in October. I traded him (and Moustakas) for pieces that got me 2nd place in the XFL last year and in contention this season and hopefully next. Though, assuming the principles do not get hurt before Sunday, I am about to announce an XFL deal where I trade away some dude from the Mariners that I got with the #1 reserve/farm pick last March (keeping Perry is suspense.)

If I am going to preach "go for it", I better practice it.
I read that "Trout", in some languages, means "You'll regret dealing me, you fool!"

Muwhahaha! ;)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Bodhizefa wrote: I read that "Trout", in some languages, means "You'll regret dealing me, you fool!"

Muwhahaha! ;)
But in others, it means "way to go, CHAMP!"

I just ran Trout through our little black box, and with the caveat that we really only use MLEs for Double-A and above so I needed to do some tweaking, given 300 plate appearances.....

5 HR
29 RBI
36 runs
26 SB

The runs are RBI are contextual with regards to where he hits. He will run, no doubt. I can't imagine the power will be there yet. His K-rate is still pretty high. Ultimately, his success will be how well his BABIP carries over. In that regard, he reminds me a bit of Jay Bruce who carried an extremely high BABIP through the Minors. Trout's more speed while Bruce is more power, but the connection is the high MiLB BABIP.

Trav The Ump

#7 Post by Trav The Ump »

Bodhizefa wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:I haven't been this excited about a prospect in an awful long time.
Austin Kearns?

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

Trout will be an interesting rotisserie dilemma for me - in my AL only keeper league, I was hoping to not have to use him as a major trade chip - so far so good as I am winning the league, but that league has a thirty day activation rule, so if he is up to stay I will have to move him from my minors to the active/reserve roster. While I would prefer his clock not be started for that team, he might be of use and will give me the opportunity/challenge to trade one of my other outfielders. In a different AL keeper league I don't have to activate him but having just lost Juan Rivera and with no outfielders of value in the free agent pile, have to decide whether his contribution to the overall standings (combined AL/NL league) will be required.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#9 Post by Bodhizefa »

Trav The Ump wrote:
Bodhizefa wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:I haven't been this excited about a prospect in an awful long time.
Austin Kearns?
:lol:

Actually, I was thinking Felix. But Kearns was pretty high on my list for sure. As Billy Bob Thornton says in Bad Santa, "Well they can't all be winners!"

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

Since I teased it in this thread and it is now official...

i dealt Pineda and Dunn for Prince and Sabathia.

i was really digging watching the kid pitch the first half, a real joy to watch.

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

Funny because Pineda is on the same AL keeper team where I have Trout (and Feliz and Hellickson)