Hosmer or Kyle Gibson

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

Hosmer or Kyle Gibson

#1 Post by Tampa Bob »

Not going to win this year, despite being in 3rd place. The Hosmer owner is in 4th and has way too many keepers (we can only keep 5) for next year. He is willing to discuss moving Hosmer, who is on his Minor League Roster. If kept down, he'll be $1 for the next 3 seasons.

If I make that trade (something like Ogando, Pineda, or Scherzer for Brett Anderson (who I'd drop) and Hosmer I would have to drop one of my Reserves for Hosmer. The likely option is Kyle Gibson. Reserves are Gibson, Jennings, Montero, Jacob Turner, and Mike Montgomery.

Gibson can probably be re-acquired at a keeper rate next year or be available in the minor league draft.

I am inclined to make such a trade and want a sanity check. Only Hosmer/Gibson are keepers in this deal. I can pick up Andrew Miller, Phil Hughes, Freddy Garcia, or some late inning reliever (Downs/Robertson).

Thanks... TB
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

Captain Hook

Re: Hosmer or Kyle Gibson

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I would certainly make the trade to get Hosmer

Trav The Ump

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

Take the bat who is already showing promise in the bigs.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#4 Post by Tampa Bob »

Alas, it was a Bait and Switch. When I texted "are you keeping Hosmer or would you trade him for this year's players?" and he responded "call me - we'll talk", what he meant was "no but I have some other guys I'll trade".

He offered to discuss Weiters ($1), Chatwood ($1), or Arrieta ($6) - all keepers. Frankly, his approach left a foul taste in my mouth.

Thanks for the input anyway.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

Tampa Bob wrote:Alas, it was a Bait and Switch. When I texted "are you keeping Hosmer or would you trade him for this year's players?" and he responded "call me - we'll talk", what he meant was "no but I have some other guys I'll trade".

He offered to discuss Weiters ($1), Chatwood ($1), or Arrieta ($6) - all keepers. Frankly, his approach left a foul taste in my mouth.

Thanks for the input anyway.
Sorry Bob - we deal with that even in "expert leagues" but as I told one, karma is a bitch. Tell this guy to go suck and egg and see if you can find a trade with the guy right behind him...... ;)