Should I trade soto?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
FBP

Should I trade soto?

#1 Post by FBP »

NL 5x5 keeper league.

I am in first place and have a surplus at catcher (soto, Molina and Lucroy). The latter two are at keeper prices and soto isn't. I have soto tied to duda who is being called up. I was considering offering soto for sands who at $10 is at a marginal keeper price and may be available to help later in the season. This way I could tie duda to sands and have duda active. I could use hrs and RBI. Am I giving up too much?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Should I trade soto?

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Few questions;
  • What is the significance of "tying" one player to another ...what is the impact of this?
  • What if Sands is not called up prior to September 1? How may that affect your plans?
  • If Sands is the best you can do, I'd consider standing pat, considering Sands found out the hard way that the NL is not the PCL
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Kid - in short, when players are tied, you can only roster (or have active) one or the other. It is an original rule, pre FAAB and reserve lists. Player A gets hurt, you pick up Player B. When Player A comes back, you have to drop Player B, you cannot keep A and B and drop Player C instead. There are ways to "transfer" ties, sort of like double-switches in the National League, which is what is being done here.

I have played in "tying" leagues and at times, it restricts what you can do in terms of other equities so sometimes you just have to go with what is best at the time and to me, this move is actually not the worst scenario in terms of what else you would be left with. Many times, you are just forced to drop the player.

I would look for another option, but, again, under these conditions, it is not horrible.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

FBP

#4 Post by FBP »

Big Kid:

if a player is tied to another, when the DL'ed/minor leaguer is activated I would have three weeks to separate them by finding another open spot and tying to the player who was then sent down or activated or have to waive one of the tied players. If Sands was not activated he would remain on my inactive roster for keeper consideration in 2012

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

FBP wrote:NL 5x5 keeper league.

I am in first place and have a surplus at catcher (soto, Molina and Lucroy). The latter two are at keeper prices and soto isn't. I have soto tied to duda who is being called up. I was considering offering soto for sands who at $10 is at a marginal keeper price and may be available to help later in the season. This way I could tie duda to sands and have duda active. I could use hrs and RBI. Am I giving up too much?
Let's get the priorities correct:
#1 - WIN this year....nothing, repeat NOTHING else matters
#2 - see #1

Now for catchers - keeper prices don't mean JACK - you want to play the ones that will give you the most of what you need. WHAT would you do if you trade one of these three and one of the two you are playing go down? Okay that doesn't mean you can't trade one (hedoublehockeysticks it is YOUR team, YOU can do whatever you want I am just trying to make sure you have the big picture and make all the decisions eyes wide open).

Sands - being a marginal keeper doesnt' mean anything (at least until you can claim - and you know when that happens). Will he help you this year? Do you have an iffy OF slot? Do you have someone who is going to need to be replaced?

Duda - Will he play enough to really help you? Again sounds like you must have a DEAD spot in your current lineup that you are not telling us about

I would think you should be able to get more for Soto than Sands but you know your league.
Not a trade I would make (and I Love Sands) but again, your team (and really to judge we would have to know all your options - you do (I hope), so your call as to whether that is the best you can do.

PS - Soto can be reallllllly steaky, maybe he hits another dinger today and another over the weekend and his value skyrockets and you can do Much better......is there a hurry?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

<<Picture PVH giving me a head slap>>

Sorry, I got lost in the "tied" thing.

If you have 2 catchers at keeper prices, the call is to deal one of those as your first option.

I defer to Perry's response for the rest.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

FBP

#7 Post by FBP »

Todd: I dont understand. Why would I deal off my keepers who are just as, if not more productive than Soto?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

With that understood, moving Soto is just feng shui at this point. He's more valuable as insurance for you than Sands or Duda is.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

FBP wrote:Todd: I dont understand. Why would I deal off my keepers who are just as, if not more productive than Soto?
To upgrade a weak player at another position.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

FBP wrote:Todd: I dont understand. Why would I deal off my keepers who are just as, if not more productive than Soto?
One observation ... at this point, if you are competing for the title, you don't HAVE any keepers. You have a roster of active players and when you fall out of contention or win your league, you have a bunch of guys you are considering keeping next year if nothing should happen to them between now and then.

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

PLEASE go back and read #1