Rookie NFBC sqaud

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
RobDMay

Rookie NFBC sqaud

#1 Post by RobDMay »

My 125 top 3 pay out draft adventure.

I posted this over in another thread but figure I would branch out to my own. I have been playing fantasy baseball for about 10 years now and figured it was time to step up to NFBC even if it was just a sat league.

I was picking from the #2 spot which was great I like being on the wheel and I was ecstatic to get Hanley. Once my draft position was locked in I started churning threw mock drafts. The first thing that jumped out to me about the 2 spot was the lack of 1b I knew barring a miracle I was going to have get one from outside T1.

So with a base of Hanley I was hoping to get 2 of the following, Cruz, J Upton, McCutchen, with Dunn as a absolute fall back. At the 4/5 spot I wanted to address first base so I was targeting Konerko or Butler to go along with another OF someone like Jay Bruce. At 6/7 the main goal was to address a 3b I felt after this round there was typically a big drop off my main target here was McGhee or Ku Fu Panda. The rest of the way would be were I felt value was/need.

I also knew going in I was going to wait on SP as long as could and load up on bats. With this as a basis here's what really happened.

R1 Hanley- I personally have him above Tulo as I feel there is still some injury risk there.

R2 Justin Upton- I was one pick away from snagging Matt Kemp who was free falling, Nelson Cruz also went leading up me so I went J Upton who I have a unhealthy obsession with this year.

R3 Jose Bautista- The guy on the turn takes McCutchen plan B was going to be Dunn however the more I thought about it Jose B and Dunn are basically the same player Dunn is defiantly the safer play but Jose can play 3b/OF. So I took the gamble that he can have comparable numbers to Dunn but with more position flexibility.

R4 BJ Upton- I could not resist the sirens call that is BJ Upton I felt like I was light on steals since I missed out on McCutchen and I just could not pass up the 20/40 upside. In the back of my mind I am concerned with AVG coupling him with Jose

R5 Paul Konerko- In all the mocks I did 1b fell off the map after this pick and it held true to form as Butler and Morales both went before it got back to me.

R6 Martin Prado- I almost got Jay Bruce he went one pick in front of me. That being said I probably would have taken Prado anyway. I love the position flexibility he gives but most importantly he helps counter balance BJ Uptons and Jose B avg.

R7 Colby Rasmus - Another pet player of mine who I think can really break out I was very happy bring him onto the squad.

R8 Jonathan Sanchez- This were I jump into the pitching end of the pool, he was basically the top guy on the board other consideration was Brett Anderson.

R9 Brett Anderson- At this point I knew I was drafting a pitcher the debate was between SP or CL. I'm still ok with this pick even though there was quite a few closers that went off the board in the next 28 picks.

R10 Chris Perez- I really want to go back to back closer here however before my pick Broxton, Axford, Bailey, Putz, and Nathan all get taken Perez was top of my list so I grab him.

R11 Vlad Guerrero- This is the one I kind of wish I could have back. It was a choice between 2nd CL or Vladdy. I went Vladdy thinking that this was just too good of value to pass up. So I take the plunge and tell myself CL in r12. In hindsight I should have either grabbed a second closer or another SP.

R12 Jose Tabata- Thorton, Street, Valverde, Nunez, Kimbrel all go off the board along with Bumgardner, and Danks who I also liked. So at this point I didn't feel there was a pitcher worth taking so I went Jose T since I felt I was running short on SB's.

R13 Edison Volquez- Like the upside over some more proven guys.

R14 James Shields- I think the hate has gone to far and I take the gamble on the era and whip for the 200k potential.

R15 Edwin Jackson- Basically see above.

R16 Mike Aviles- Nice upside and position flexibility.

R17 Brandon League- I really hope he holds the job cause he is only other closer :(

R18 Jhonny Cueto- Before the news came out that he was getting shut down for a week.

R19 James Loney- I know he doesn't do anything too special but at this point in the draft I would be very happy with a normal Loney season.

R20 Alexi Ogando- Lost this bet.

R21 Alex Gordon- Time to start buying lottery tickets I have been a believer since he was called up this will be the year!

R22 Michael Pineda- Another scratch off that looks like he will make the rotation

R23 Seth Smith- Big fan another "I think this could be the year" guy willing to take the gamble for a bench bat.

R24 Ryan Doumit - I never felt there was a good place to take a C so at thin point I take the best on the board and hope for a bounce back.

R25 Alexi Casilla - I really wanted a guy for the bench that had 2b/ss eligibility I was hoping for Jed Lowrie but he didn't make it back to me.

R26 Kyle McClellan- Jaime Garcia part 2?

R27 Ryan Hanigan- Just wanted a guy that wouldn't hurt me in avg with a bit of upside.

R28 Daric Barton- James Loney Jr.

R29 Andrew Cashner - Another lottery ticket that looks like he will make the rotation.

R30 Marc Rzepczyski - Looking like a first cut. Wish I would have taken a CIW with this pick probably going to cost me some FAAB.

The final roster

C Ryan Doumit
C Ryan Hanigan
1B Paul Konerko
2B Martin Prado
SS Hanley Ramirez
3B Jose Bautista
CI James Loney
MI Mike Aviles
UT Vlad Guerrero
OF Justin Upton
OF BJ Upton
OF Jose Tabata
OF Colby Rasmus
OF Alex Gordon

P Edwin Jackson
P Edison Volquez
P James Shields
P Brett Anderson
P Jonathan Sanchez
P Kyle McClellan
P Alexi Ogando
P Brandon League
P Chris Perez

R Seth Smith
R Daric barton
R Alexi Casilla
R Johnny Cueto
R Michael Pineda
R Andrew Cashner
R Marz Rzepczysnki

Things I'm worried about:
Catcher
WHIP and ERA to a lesser extent
Saves

Things I like:
The offense I feel its very balanced and other then AVG should finish at the top of each category.

I still feel that Vlad pick is were things went awry but what are going to do I defiantly have some work to do on the FAAB side of things to address the Staff.

Rzep is gone for sure other then that it comes down to weather or not I want to hold onto Ogando.

southpaw

Re: Rookie NFBC sqaud

#2 Post by southpaw »

Hey Rob,

I was perusing some old threads and remembered your NFBC team. Just wondering if you can update us on changes you've made since we're at the 1/3 mark. Pitching looks strong with Pineda emerging as an ace and Anderson/Sanchez have been solid. Bautista of course has been raking for you.
Let us know how you're doing in the standings.

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by mjlewis »

This team has an impressive mix of massive breakouts and massive disappointments.

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

I pipe in here, since I am in this league with Rob. He has been dominating this league for quite awhile now. Today he still sits in 1st with 134 points. That's down from the 141 he had about a week ago. He has avoided injuries for the most part - so the rest of us are hoping that the Hanley injury is a sign that the rest of us can close the gap some more.

Still he's been solid - I'll let him speak to who he's brought in - but I do know that he added Ogando early in the year and he's been real good for him as well.