Welcome back guys- you were missed

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
somerandomguy
Major League All-Star

Welcome back guys- you were missed

#1 Post by somerandomguy »

Welcome back guys- you were missed :D
AL only 5x5 11 Team keepers league J Rogers 2 A Frazier 5 Y Diaz(TB) 2 C McCormick 2 M Garcia 10 B Naylor 5 O Colas 5 L Butler 3 E Haase 12 J Baez 22 T France 24 P JP Crawford 10 R Grichuk 5 J Rojas 4 S Armstong 1 T Bibee 10 G Williams 4 A Chapman 8 G Rodriguez 10 T Skubal 5 B Singer 3C Hernandez 5 H Ryu 3
R M Bradley 4 N Cortes 1 S Bieber 36 R Noda 2 M Miller 14 C Cowser 13

maddog

Re: Welcome back guys- you were missed

#2 Post by maddog »

Yahoo,great that you have your own website!! heres wishing you megaluck.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Thanks guys, we have only just begun!!!

fasten your seatbelts....
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

Glad that things are like they should be. Good luck Todd and I hope to have lots of insightful articles. Damn it's great that baseball is just around the corner.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

momige
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by momige »

Congrats on the new site! I am pumped for baseball.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Hello all ;)

JP Kastner

#7 Post by JP Kastner »

Todd and I were sitting at a game at the AFL and he was talking about what he wanted to do now that he was a free agent. I asked him if he still owned the name Mastersball. He said yes, but wasn't sure if he should use it. He sought the advice of others in the fantasy industry. An initial look of concern on one unnamed top fantasy figure helped assure Todd that Mastersball should live again.

Yesterday, we found ourselves in a unique position. We have been hammering on a development site for the past month, testing out looks and components. Once I finished working out the last bugs, I started to build the production site. The forum was completed about a week ago and was ready to go, but we needed the front end. I installed the core components, just enough to accept new users. I had a sneaky suspicion that we should just open for business with what we have. Todd agreed. So, we brought what we had built so far into production at 4:30 Central on New Years Eve.

On the morning of New Years day I look to see how many subscribers we have and I was amazed! I guess Mastersball was really missed.

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#8 Post by brooklyn49 »

Nothing like waking up New Year's morning and finding that there was one more present hiding beneath the tree...and it has a big tag with your name on it.
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

davgie

#9 Post by davgie »

Glad to see MB back on its own. I missed the "just bare boned information" and strategy discussions of the original site. Good luck Todd and friends!

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#10 Post by Tampa Bob »

Forum Funklord lives! Viper got his name back (at least here). Oh, to see the musings of LongDuckDong, one of the great IDs in Mastersball history. :ugeek:

My break from baseball is over, the Forecaster has been opened and Mastersball is back! How sweet it is to see 2009 arrive!

Welcome back guys!
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

eudubbz
Major League Regular

#11 Post by eudubbz »

best birthday present ever. welcome back guys

#12 Post by Guest »

I hadn't thought of returning as the Donger....I think I have to stay more professional here, we'll see....

Anyways, I just got back from family time with the inlaws, seeing this couldn't get me pumped more...Good things are ahead, thanks for the loyalty and we'll make it worth your while.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#13 Post by Bodhizefa »

Muwhahaha! Dreams do come true!!!

Welcome back, guys. Mastersball was missed greatly, and I'm glad to be back onboard the M-ball express! 8-)
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

eudubbz
Major League Regular

#14 Post by eudubbz »

are you doing your tiers of pitching this year, Bod?

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#15 Post by Bodhizefa »

eudubbz wrote:are you doing your tiers of pitching this year, Bod?
I'll certainly try.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

drapes

#16 Post by drapes »

Nice.

That's all I got.

JP, it brought a big smile to my face when I heard you were in on this. :D

Your timing couldn't be better given the subject matter of my writing project. I'll get in touch with you soon to get you caught up and ask a few more questions.

Long live the Funk Lord and his minions.

cwk1963

#17 Post by cwk1963 »

Welcome back Mastersball!!! I've been checking the site and reading the blog ever since Rob was kind enough to put me in touch with Todd via email. I couldn't believe it when I was told the MB site was going to be brought back. There were some good additions in the later years with the additions of the Capt'n and Gary but the old MB forum feel felt like it was lost. Here's hoping that will come back with the name rebirth but let's face it, it will be up to us - the members (after all, Todd, Gary et al can't do everything themselves) - to make this community as good as it once was. I, for one, will do my part. And Bod, get those starting pitcher tiers up so the banter can begin. Welcome back everyone!

bigjonempire
Double-A

#18 Post by bigjonempire »

Now all we need is to get Jason back from ESPN...hmmm

circle360

#19 Post by circle360 »

bigjonempire wrote:Now all we need is to get Jason back from ESPN...hmmm
Now that would be the Cherry on top.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#20 Post by CubFan »

Yeeeehaaaahhhh!!!! Glad to have MB back. Sure did miss the old site. I see a number of old friends. It'll be fun chewing the fat again and bouncing ideas off everyone. Looking forward to a great 2009 fantasy season. :D
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

babl

#21 Post by babl »

new here...but strapped in and along for the ride...

JP Kastner

#22 Post by JP Kastner »

drapes wrote: JP, it brought a big smile to my face when I heard you were in on this. :D

Your timing couldn't be better given the subject matter of my writing project. I'll get in touch with you soon to get you caught up and ask a few more questions.

Long live the Funk Lord and his minions.
Every successful fantasy baseball operation needs a computer guy to make it work. I'm lucky in that Todd took me aside and asked me to help.

Andy

#23 Post by Andy »

Todd et al., great to have Mastersball back!

And the forum doesn't seem to be blocked from work like the old one was... :twisted:

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#24 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Interesting looking place ya have here. Let's see what develops. Good luck with it.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

captgus
Major League Veteran

#25 Post by captgus »

brooklyn49 wrote:Nothing like waking up New Year's morning and finding that there was one more present hiding beneath the tree...and it has a big tag with your name on it.
AMEN! This is the best Christmas present to date.
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

ShawnC

#26 Post by ShawnC »

In the words of the announcer I hate the most... "You can put it on the [message] board.... YES!

Seeing a lot of the old names already posting is indeed a good sign... hopefully it will continue. Good luck Todd.

JP Kastner

#27 Post by JP Kastner »

Andy wrote:Todd et al., great to have Mastersball back!

And the forum doesn't seem to be blocked from work like the old one was... :twisted:
Instead of farming out the forum, we are hosting our own. The advantage is that most employer web filters won't know about it. The disadvantage is that we have to take care of it (back it up, tune, etc.). I think most people will be happy with our decision to take on extra work.

Now, if Mastersball becomes as big as ESPN, then we're screwed...

drapes

#28 Post by drapes »

JP Kastner wrote: Now, if Mastersball becomes as big as ESPN, then we're screwed...
If? ;)

IronMarshal

#29 Post by IronMarshal »

I am sooooo glad to see you guys back. I went to the Fantasy basball.com site to see what was happening there. I was very disappointed with it and was reluctant to sign up again, especially for the premium package. I thought about there draft package and then I thought I would take a look at the staffing. No Todd, No Gary, No Rob, only the good Captain. I was wondering what happened (I stopped checking the site mid season last year despite my gold membership- it was doing nothing for me - by the way I won my league without their help). So, thank God for Google, I googled Todd Zola and found, to my utter amazement and pleasure, this site! The return of Mastersball! I looking forward to you guys insightful work. I wish you the best with this new version of a great old idea.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#30 Post by Todd Zola »

I googled Todd Zola
Next time, could you at least buy me dinner first?

Thanks IronMarshal, if you have not read the welcome note on the blog, I urge you to do so, it pretty well explains what happened.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

IronMarshal

#31 Post by IronMarshal »

Todd Zola wrote:
I googled Todd Zola
Next time, could you at least buy me dinner first?
LOL!

Typical me.. ;)

ayebatter

#32 Post by ayebatter »

Been a few years, same user name though.

scaci

#33 Post by scaci »

Cool to see a lot of the old names. I just happened to be reading Bod's tiers on the Rotoworld forum and he mentioned that Mastersball was back up again. Sure nice to see.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

#34 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Kinda weird how things work out ... I was gravely disappointed when things rolled over to FantasyBaseball.com a couple years ago, but I still gave it a try. Unfortunately it just wasn't even comparable to the old Mastersball. Heading into 2009 I decided to look for other content. First, just for old times sake, I tried mastersball.com to see if there was any content still available. Much to my surprise, not only is there content, but there is a forum with names I recognize from the original Mastersball. Man its good to have my Mastersball back!
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Homertime

#35 Post by Homertime »

Welcome back. After reading Todd's blog post about preparation, I realize a few things:

1) I probably should have read about who was behind fantasybaseball.com this year BEFORE purchasing my subscription (doubling the overall subscription price). Not that it won't be good to get more opinions though.

2) I probably should have read what types of things this site is going to provide before buying this subscription. Not that I cared though, because whatever it is, it will all be good.

Glad to see a return to the basics, in what looks like a good (re)start!

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#36 Post by Tampa Bob »

Homertime, your post could have been written by me.

I stayed at the old site because that's where I ended up and I'm not much for change. Seems like I renewed just about the time I found out about the massive changes. I took solice in the fact that Perry was still there and I hold him in high regard. Plus that damn Drapes posted a fine message about their plans that made me think it'd be the same.

But it wasn't the same despite Perry and Drapes.

Then word hits town that Mastersball is coming back! I joined the forum as quickly as possible and was delighted at the people and the energy that appeared seemingly out of nowhere. Not so delighted that I joined Platinum in time to get the ten buck discount but that's just me being a dumbass. :lol:

One point rarely made here is how nicely the ne site runs. I love the clean look and feel. Perhaps it's just my taste (geezer) but I much prefer that to flashing bells and whistles. Remember the trial and tribulations we experienced over at the old site? It was like an evil Tommy Chong designed it after a 5 day blowout and for some reason he had Jason's sister hostage so no changes could be made!

So although I have now signed up for 2 "premium" sites, I find that I have to force myself to check the other. I look for Perry and Drapes and that's about it.

It's just nice to be back and I'm excited about the season.

drapes

#37 Post by drapes »

Hey I never said it'd be the same... just that Perry would still be Perry and that my analysis would be heavily influenced by my Mastersball roots. 8-)

I'm glad you find my stuff readable Tampa, and I hope that Perry and I can make you feel like you didn't totally waste your coin. There are some good guys over there, but admittedly they aren't from the MB school of thought. In the end, I think it speaks volumes about the quality of Todd and Gary's work that there are some of us "double dippin'". I'll sure be over here as much as possible as this community is second to none. But FB.com is on the up, there will be some very cool things going on there, but you're right, they will be very different from MB, and it's understandable that guys who grew up over on this side of the tracks wouldn't be interested in the kind of things they're tying to do over there.

Glad to have this place back... there's no place like home.

Max Power

#38 Post by Max Power »

It is fantastic to have MB back up and running.

When you guys merged / left, I never followed, so I'm glad that you're back and I can rejoin the discussion. This forum is great because its a no-frills, clean and clear discussion among people who know what they are doing and talking Fantasy Baseball. And I missed Bod's tiers of pitching--that won me a league one year, back in the day.

flavi

#39 Post by flavi »

I didn't post much (mostly lurked over last three years) but yeah, super happy to have this back.

justinb013

#40 Post by justinb013 »

Mostly lurked in the past, but happy to have the site back. Always been justinb013.

Cheers,

Justin

Bacalao

#41 Post by Bacalao »

I got a "random email" from Todd that the site was back and wow was I HAPPY! Mastersball was my induction into the world of fantasy baseball analysis. I still have the old Annuals in a safe accessible place on my bookshelf (back when Todd wrote everything in the passive voice-- "The number of hits per inning will be analyzed, and the effect on ERA will be correlated.") Todd practically walked me through my first custom valuations by email, and taught me how to use excel. I used to pore over Jason's player profiles for hours (in 5-10 minute intervals). The whole fantasybaseball.com experience was a complete train wreck for me, and I ended up going pretty much exclusively to Baseball HQ the last couple of years. But there has NEVER been anything like the Mastersball forums. cwk, bod, and the whole crew, it's just fantastic to see so many familiar folks back. Thanks for doing this, guys. Truly, truly this community has been missed.

bacalao

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#42 Post by Bodhizefa »

Bacalao wrote:I got a "random email" from Todd that the site was back and wow was I HAPPY! Mastersball was my induction into the world of fantasy baseball analysis. I still have the old Annuals in a safe accessible place on my bookshelf (back when Todd wrote everything in the passive voice-- "The number of hits per inning will be analyzed, and the effect on ERA will be correlated.") Todd practically walked me through my first custom valuations by email, and taught me how to use excel. I used to pore over Jason's player profiles for hours (in 5-10 minute intervals). The whole fantasybaseball.com experience was a complete train wreck for me, and I ended up going pretty much exclusively to Baseball HQ the last couple of years. But there has NEVER been anything like the Mastersball forums. cwk, bod, and the whole crew, it's just fantastic to see so many familiar folks back. Thanks for doing this, guys. Truly, truly this community has been missed.

bacalao
Welcome back, pal. We're all glad as crap Todd and Gary decided to re-up this gig.

cwk1963

#43 Post by cwk1963 »

Bacalao wrote:I got a "random email" from Todd that the site was back and wow was I HAPPY! Mastersball was my induction into the world of fantasy baseball analysis. I still have the old Annuals in a safe accessible place on my bookshelf (back when Todd wrote everything in the passive voice-- "The number of hits per inning will be analyzed, and the effect on ERA will be correlated.") Todd practically walked me through my first custom valuations by email, and taught me how to use excel. I used to pore over Jason's player profiles for hours (in 5-10 minute intervals). The whole fantasybaseball.com experience was a complete train wreck for me, and I ended up going pretty much exclusively to Baseball HQ the last couple of years. But there has NEVER been anything like the Mastersball forums. cwk, bod, and the whole crew, it's just fantastic to see so many familiar folks back. Thanks for doing this, guys. Truly, truly this community has been missed.

bacalao
Good to see you back Bacalao.

gafftaper
High-A
Preferred Style: 5x5 AND H2H

#44 Post by gafftaper »

Honey I'm Home!!!

I've been really busy with work so I'm behind this year. Tonight, disenchanted with what has become of MB but still craving Todd's projections and Jason's player notes, I went to renew my fantasyplanet membership and... hold on :shock: ... what's this... all the MB crew is gone except Perry? Where did they go? Google: Jason... no luck. Google: Todd JACKPOT!!!

Yes but could it actually be true. Is it really just like the good old days... I Check out the forums and there's CWK, Bod, even Viper with his B5 quote! I almost cried!! I don't think I've ever pulled my credit card out of the wallet that fast.

Congrats Todd and Longduckdong. It's great to be back home! :D
Half wisdom. Half Wit.

Heckah
High-A

#45 Post by Heckah »

WOW...I'm finally home again. Todd's random e-mail may have been the best news of the year.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#46 Post by Todd Zola »

Wasn't so random -- was sent out to all members of the old forum.

Except a bunch of addy's from Russia -- don't think they were really interested in replacement player theory :shock: