Sands

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
FBP

Sands

#1 Post by FBP »

Interested in Sands but wonder what his contribution will really be this year and next. I am in a NL 5x5 keeper league. I could FAAB for him, but due to the hype I would have to pay mid teens (anything over $10 results in a guaranteed contract for which a $50 release fee could be incurred if not kept on the 2012 roster). I have concern over FAABing and being stuck with a guy at or above value for next year. To exacerbate he has very little experience above AA and I would have to drop a $8 Fukadome or $1 LuCroy to pick him up. Would very much be interested in opinions

Captain Hook

Re: Sands

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Okay, first the rules rant......WHY should what you FAAB a player for determine his contract?
All free agents should have a standard contract for retention purposes (except those from the other league)

As far as the $50, you shouldn't think of it as a consideration for next year - it is a sunk cost for adding him this year - the decision to keep or not should be based on projected worth/value and not the penalty (I do the auctioneering for some private leagues and see this mistake made all the time).

Okay on to Sands. Yes he is very young, but he has talent.
He would have been up later this year - the early call was just because all the other LFs had been so unproductive.

The good news is that he really hasn't done much this week (now 2-11 with two RBI and no home runs....watch him hit a pinch hit home run while I type this) so his FAAB price may be depressed (unless you are in LA)

The MOR approach would be to try and get him for $9
I think he can contribute more this year but of course that means he has to stay up and in the lineup at least most of the time.

That said you can't possibly think he won't be worth more than Lucroy