AL only Minors Draft

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Tig

AL only Minors Draft

#1 Post by Tig »

13 team AL only 5x5 keeper league (w/SF* & Atl*).
salary for 2011 would be $5. if maintain ROY status (less than 130ab's or less than 50IP, remain $5 in 2012, otherwise, would be $10 to keep)

the NL teams change every year (1 is the WS representative, the other is picked by the previous years winner). Players from the NL teams can be kept for only 1 year once they are out of the player pool. So taking a NL ML guy (Mike Minor) carries "more risk" going forward, as he would only be able to be kept in 2012, not beyond.

During the auction, we do not draft reserves and you must be on the 25 man roster or the MLB DL to be bid on. The only holdover/keeper that didnt qualify for the auction was Kyle Gibson.

With the above criteria who are guys that you would target.

I have the 12th and 15th picks in a 2 round draft.

Here's who has gone thus far. Ive got 6 picks in front of me:
1.Desmond Jennings, 2.Dustin Ackley, 3.Mike Moustakas, 4.Lonnie Chisenhall, 5.Mike Trout, 6.Chris Carter, 7.Jesus Montero, 8.Eric Hosmer, 9. PASSED*, 10.Carlos Peguara 11. Brett Lawrie 12.
* we are only allowed 5 free pickups for the year. after that, they are $3.

options: (will update as picks come in)
Mike Montgomery? Martin Perez? Jacob Turner? John Lamb? Tanner Scheppers? Manny Machado? Miguel Sano? Tyler Chatwood? Jason Kipnis?

Julio Teheran? Mike Minor? Arodys Vizcaino?
Last edited by Tig on April 12th, 2011, 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Captain Hook

Re: AL only Minors Draft

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Our AL only Prospect List would be the most useful for this exercise
My advice would be to forget NL guys - you don't get the best value for the pick

How long do you have once you are on the clock for your pick?
As of today when do you think you will be up for your first pick?
What are your greatest categorical needs if you are contending for this year?

Tig

#3 Post by Tig »

Captain Hook wrote:Our AL only Prospect List would be the most useful for this exercise.. basically where i got the list of names used as options
My advice would be to forget NL guys - you don't get the best value for the pick. i agree, hopefully Minor will make it through and i can get him as a regular pickup.

How long do you have once you are on the clock for your pick? no time limit
As of today when do you think you will be up for your first pick? probably later tonight
What are your greatest categorical needs if you are contending for this year?roster is in signature. Im definitely light in SB's. weak at 3b/ci/ut/of/sp

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Tig wrote:13 team AL only 5x5 keeper league (w/SF* & Atl*).
salary for 2011 would be $5. if maintain ROY status (less than 130ab's or less than 50IP, remain $5 in 2012, otherwise, would be $10 to keep)

the NL teams change every year (1 is the WS representative, the other is picked by the previous years winner). Players from the NL teams can be kept for only 1 year once they are out of the player pool. So taking a NL ML guy (Mike Minor) carries "more risk" going forward, as he would only be able to be kept in 2012, not beyond.

During the auction, we do not draft reserves and you must be on the 25 man roster or the MLB DL to be bid on. The only holdover/keeper that didnt qualify for the auction was Kyle Gibson.

With the above criteria who are guys that you would target.

I have the 12th and 15th picks in a 2 round draft.

Here's who has gone thus far. Ive got 6 picks in front of me:
1.Desmond Jennings, 2.Dustin Ackley, 3.Mike Moustakas, 4.Lonnie Chisenhall, 5.Mike Trout, 6.Chris Carter

options: (will update as picks come in)
Jesus Montero? Mike Montgomery? Martin Perez? Jacob Turner? Eric Hosmer? John Lamb? Tanner Scheppers? Manny Machado? Miguel Sano? Brett Lawrie? Tyler Chatwood? Jason Kipnis?

Julio Teheran? Mike Minor? Arodys Vizcaino?
My list would be
1) Hosmer
2) Lawrie
3) Wil Myers
at this point you have to decide whether you want a pitcher who might help this year but would be great at $5 next year or a hitter who won't help for several years

I will take a look for additional hitters who might be more immediate but you can report back when you go on the clock and we can decide

PS - certainly on talent Jesus Montero belongs in that group - I just have the feeling that the Yankees will deal him for a SP later in the year and if that is to a team in the NL you lose a very productive player and the value from the pick - just my personal philosophy

Tig

#5 Post by Tig »

I updated the first post with all the picks.

We can only keep players for 1 year at $5, so it doesnt really make sense to grab someone that wont at least make an impact in 2012. If I draft em this year, I can keep em for $5 in 2012, but no matter what, they'd be $10 in 2013.

Im thinking at this point, the best way to go may be to get SP's that will either help a lil this year and be worth $10 next year, or be great $5 keepers for next year.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

after those three hitters my pitcher choices would be
1) Manny Banuelos, NYY
2) Mike Montgomery, KC
3) John Lamb, KC

of the younger hitters if you can keep them - Miguel Sano, 3B, MIN and Machado, SS, Balt

Tig

#7 Post by Tig »

Captain Hook wrote:after those three hitters my pitcher choices would be
1) Manny Banuelos, NYY
2) Mike Montgomery, KC
3) John Lamb, KC

of the younger hitters if you can keep them - Miguel Sano, 3B, MIN and Machado, SS, Balt
my concern with Banuelos is the same as yours in regards to Montero. (if Yanks decide to go after Felix) but, at least I should be able to use the hype around him as trade bait if needed.

the league is based outta Min, so itll be interesting to see if Sano gets taken.

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

Tig wrote:
Captain Hook wrote:after those three hitters my pitcher choices would be
1) Manny Banuelos, NYY
2) Mike Montgomery, KC
3) John Lamb, KC

my concern with Banuelos is the same as yours in regards to Montero. (if Yanks decide to go after Felix) but, at least I should be able to use the hype around him as trade bait if needed.

the league is based outta Min, so itll be interesting to see if Sano gets taken.
The Yankees are not likely to trade Banuelos (or any of their new Killer Bs) they NEED pitching - they have two other good catching prospects besides Montero even if he is a better hitter it is unlikely he can stay behind the plate defensively. Besides Banuelos is the most likely to have a positive impact This year

Tig

#9 Post by Tig »

I ended up with Banuelos and Myers.

do you see Myers having an impact in 2012, or we looking moreso 2013? I see they are moving him from C to OF this year. I guess thats good for his longevity, but that offense from the C spot woulda been more valuable.

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

I think you did VERY well with those two Tig
Myers will have an impact in 2012 - he could see some time at the end of the year -they started the conversion to the outfield last year so his bat could be in the lineup every day and frankly he is just not good enough defensively behind the plate

As I have said several places before I think you will get some help from Banuelos this year and he will be in the Yankees rotation next year