AL Only- Buy Juan Rivera low or run like hell...

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
whammer
Major League Regular

AL Only- Buy Juan Rivera low or run like hell...

#1 Post by whammer »

Have a chance to acquire Juan Rivera - AL only - my offense needs some help - will Toronto have patience? does he have anything left?

Thoughts apprec.

deansdaddy

Re: AL Only- Buy Juan Rivera low or run like hell...

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - he got the dreaded vote of confidence from Farrell who said "We're committed to him, we're going to keep putting him in there."

Still it should be noted that Rivera has never been primarily a DH, which he is trying to get adjusted to I guess. He is hitting primarily in the 5/6 spots in the lineup - which is a positive.

One negative is Corey Patterson just got recalled (to sub in for a banged up R Davis) and if he provides a spark he could stick around after Davis returns at the expense of Rivera's AB's.

Still - if you believe Farrell, then it would seem putting a bid in on him in AL only makes sense.

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

With Rajai Davis going on the DL - Patterson is guaranteed 2 weeks of starts. I think I would go after Patterson and hope that he sticks. If not you can cut bait in two weeks. He hit in the two spot last night which is not a bad place to be in any lineup.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

whammer wrote:Have a chance to acquire Juan Rivera - AL only - my offense needs some help - will Toronto have patience? does he have anything left?

Thoughts apprec.
Unless he would cost you Absolutely nothing AND you could easily replace him I would NOT trade for Rivera now - there will be a note posted soon in Mastersblog but bottom line is that I don't think Rivera is going to get much playing time or be on the Jays roster for long (slow start after good spring is one thing, likelihood they activate Brett Lawrie in May/June also plays into this).