AL keeper decision

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

AL keeper decision

#1 Post by Spread da wealth »

Hello all,

Can keep up to 10 in a 9 team AL-only 4x4 with the traditional 23 roster spots. Below are my top twelve values. I've also got Hellickson as a minor leaguers, which means another SP.

Which 2 would you not keep?

1B/DH Billy Butler $17
2B Aaron Hill $5
2B Gordon Beckham $5
SS Cliff Pennington $1
OF Adam Jones $24 (many of best OF's will likely be kept)
OF Travis Snider $1
CL Chris Perez $10
SP Phil Hughes $8
SP Clay Buchholz $6
SP Jeff Niemann $4
SP Gavin Floyd $4
SP Erik Bedard $3

Thanks!

Todd Zola
    Hall of Famer

Re: AL keeper decision

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

If most of the top players are kept, then I jettison Bedard and Pennington.
    Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I agree with Todd here.

But so many of those salaries seem so low, it makes me question Butler at 17. Sure that's a fair price, but everyone else seems so cheap. I guess if there were a ton of 1B that were going to be available I might throw Butler back to maybe get one of the big boppers at the position.

Spread da wealth
    Major League Veteran

#4 Post by Spread da wealth »

Thank you both - that's how I was leaning before starting to overthink it recently. The prices are so low because I spent much of last year playing for next (this) year. Only Butler, Jones, Hughes, Niemann, and Bedard were acquired at last year's auction; the rest were via several trades.

da_big_kid_94
    Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I am/was a 24 unit Adam Jones owner in a 12 team AL 4x4 (as you may recall from the other Adam Jones discussion we had on my end) - I know what you are talking about when it comes to the AL in the OF - but i just couldn't bring myself to keep him - I love his potential but he hasn't fully delivered on it yet and after tearing things up early in the spring, he seems to be sliding back down again - which seems to be his pattern so far - extremely streaky. I'd keep Pennington at a buck (25 stolen bases nothing to sneeze at) and I would send Bedard packing as well.

No matter how it goes, good luck.
    These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
    "KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
    Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

special k
    Major League Veteran

#6 Post by special k »

In nine-team there should still be decent OF left. $24 too much for Jones, IMHO, when you can keep Pennington for $1. I would double-check the $1 OFs - specifically the 45th available - before you decide to keep Jones, and consider dumping him and Bedard. 1B is pretty shallow, There should be 27 corner men kept in nine-team. Check the 27th CI and compare him to the 45th OF. I bet the OF is better, making Butler a better play.