Nominating in my AL draft today

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Nominating in my AL draft today

#1 Post by viper »

So here we are. a 10-team AL only draft with one UT slot and no bench. Also 1-game position eligibility in-season but 20 going in.

And the first person nominated is [drum roll] Hideki Matsui. What you say? This was a shocker as history says this group also seems to get money off the table early. Nominated for $1, it goes going, going and then someone chimes in $2. After another going, going, I chime in at $3. I really don't want him but I figured to wait on a UT player hoping to get a cheap DH-only guy. This is cheap for him. I have Matsui at $11 so what the heck I say. A going, going, gone later he is mine. Who ever heard of the 4th or 5th best DH to be nominated first. At least I figured I really got him cheap.

And next nominated is Adam Lind. You have to be kidding. He is bid all the way up $5. I now fell I got gyped.

Third is Miggy. MB has him at $31 in my setup and I have him at $32. I also want him and was willing to bid him up. I did and spent $37 in a 3-way auction. It was justified, in my mind, by getting a cheap Matsui. I agree the logic sucks.

And fourth is Vlad. Now I know there is a DH conspiracy. His value is $18 but he goes for $14. That make him the least profitable DH.

Before round one of nominations are over Ortiz, valued at $17, goes for $5.

More on the draft later tonight or tomorrow, I have several interesting, at least to me, observations.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Re: Nominating in my AL draft today

#2 Post by Guest »

I love it.