Hanley 2nd pick 5x5 12 team snake?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
charleylip

Hanley 2nd pick 5x5 12 team snake?

#1 Post by charleylip »

I 'am picking 2nd in a 5 x 5 12 team snake draft
I would love to take a shortstop with the 2nd pick over the drunk.Here are reasons not to
1 Hanley faces the Philles about 20 times (Tough Pitching)
2Play Mets in citi field and his own ball park not hitting friendly also Atlanta
3 No protection in his lineup
...Would Tulowitzki be a reach for 2 Why is everyone so high on Hanley!
Should I just name the team Miquels cab company and go with his stats or Pick Votto
Albert will be gone

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Hanley 2nd pick 5x5 12 team snake?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

1. I don't worry about tough pitching. He is facing the same picthing he would regardless, it just happens that several good starters are bunched on one team.

2. He has been playing at his park for years, along with going to Atlanta and Shea/Citi Field and put up some great numbers so no worries there

3. If by protection, you mean he is a better hitter with "protection", that notion is a myth. If you mean the runs and RBI chances will be less, then yeah, they could be down but is the lineup really any weaker than it has been in previous seasons where he put up numbers?

The issue with Ramirez is a last season he spiked in GB%. If that retunrs to normal, his numbers should as well and he would be the consensus #2 pick again. But some allowances have to be made in case it doesn't and he is down a few spots on some rankings. my #2 is Miggy. I discuss it HERE
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Funny this question came up today - as I was just framing my own argument as to why I likely won't be picking Hanley # 2 in this weekends NFBC Live DP. I can't say that I am 100% there - but I'm like 95% there. For me the alternatives are these:

1.) The owner at #1 somehow picks someone other Pujols - at #2 only I could benefit from this - and I have seen it happen before.

2.) Miggy, Braun, Crawford and Cargo are the guys I am thinking about - pretty much in that order.

Part of my thinking is being driven by a couple of factors. The first one is the fact that I have drafted about 6 teams already and aside from an early draft where I lucked into Prince Fielder late in the 2nd - I have been forced to the second level at this position time and again. Second - since the DP league is an overall competition and power is down throughout the league - I feel there is a greater need to get some elite power early. A 40 HR hitter has more value now than he did just a few years ago. One that can hit .320 is even that much more valuable. For me I would rather bet that Cabrera keeps it together than I am that Hanley reverse some of his slight skills erosion. I still think Cabrera has that 50 HR/Triple Crown season lurking just waiting to happen. To me, this means there is upside that I want.

I also have begun to see that there are SS's that I like later in drafts. But 1B get ugly pretty fast. Picking #2 - I don't see a 3B worth moving up and one won't make it back to 2/3. There will be quality OF's there - and I can likely grab two very good ones if I choose. So it's likely Miggy for me - since I think Votto and A Gonzalez are clearly a step behind.

All of that said - I still can see a situation where when my turn comes I call out "Hanley Ramirez"

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I've got #3 in the Online Double Play next week and am waffling between Hanley and Tulo assuming 1-2 is Pujols and Miggy.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#5 Post by deansdaddy »

I will say that I agree that with your premise that if I knew for certain Tulowitski wouldn't get hurt again this year I would choose him without a second thought. But, man you look at the laundry list of ailment from the past few seasons and it's tough. Also - my drafts and mocks (many with todd) this season have convinced me that I can eschew scarcity and likely get more of the players I want later on.

My experience last year in the DP is that there will be at least one team at the first turn who will likely go 1B-1B to open their drafts. This is something you don't see too often in the 15 team format - but you do see it in the DP format - since to win the overall you need even more power to finish in the top 20%. Last year there were also less 1B who were clear cut 1st round selections. Only Pujols, Teixeira and Cabrera were 1st round locks last year in the 12 team format. This year Votto and Adrian Gonzalez join that group - with Howard and Fielder the likely targets of those coming back early in Round 2. So if you pass on Cabrera and take an OF or SS - you have basically crossed off 7 1B before the draft starts. Youkilis will likely make it 8 - cause I doubt he makes it back. Dunn will be enticing - and in a standard league you can get away with him - but in the DP BA is even MORE important - he can really hurt you and you really want to take the 5 category OF's or Stud SP's that will be there for you instead I believe. I'd rather do that and wait til 5/6 if I can to get my 1B.

That's the problem I have already found myself in a couple leagues already this year. I have passed on 1B early and ended up with Mourneau, D Lee and Billy Butler on different teams (hopefully two of these three if I can). The best name as a fallback used to be Kendrys Morales - but now he is hurt. I think Paul Konerko is the new best fallback option - and I think if you pick Hanley there is a very good chance you can get him at that 5/6 turn. But if you don't get him - you will have to reach lower down and likely need to pick two guys from the middle tiers - which in turn can cause you to miss out on some key players that you really want to be picking from rounds 7-12. It's a pickle and one I think I want to avoid if I can - Today I am thinking I would much rather be in a position where I am pushing players I like up my boards to get them rather than having to wait on a couple of guys i NEED like Konerko, Morales and Mourneau, hoping like hell they make it to me.

charleylip

#6 Post by charleylip »

Thanks for the informative info
Cabreras Cab Company it is!
I also see 1st base getting scarce early
Thanks for your help

deansdaddy

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

No problem - but please be aware that my thoughts should be taken in the context of playing in the NFBC Double Play - which is an overall contest. There will likely be around 800 entrants for the big prize which is almost double that of the Main Event. It means that is it that much harder to finish in the Top 20% of all 10 categories - which you have to do to have a chance of winning the overall. All three of the ratio categories become even harder to manage.

In a standard 12 team league - I think Hanley makes perfect sense at #2 and I would likely grab him. There I am only going against 12 guys. Middle of the pack in any category, I still get 6 points. Middle of the pack in the DP overall in any category is a 400 point deficit from whoever is up top.

Mickey4081

#8 Post by Mickey4081 »

I am taking Hanley with the #2 pick. I know full well I will get myself a pretty good first baseman at some point. You can have your Droobs and Cabrera and I'll take Hanley and Paully. :lol: