Getting Ready for My Auction

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Getting Ready for My Auction

#1 Post by viper »

There have been several threads on what we do to prepare for an auction. For those interested, here is my basic preparation steps and what I take to the auction. Several things are new this year based on past experiences and several of the Blog entries by Todd and others. I need to have someone to blame I uses.

I have always felt MB and BBHQ do somewhat similar things in coming up with projection [Todd may violently disagree]. Not identical but both seem to stress skills and both are forthcoming in what their processes are. I don’t know how BBHQ goes from projection to dollar values but I do know the MB formula and I believe it is solid. CVRC is a god-send for me.

I take MB and BBHQ projections and average them. The differences are pretty much driven by ABs. I guess my method reduces the optimism or pessimism from the sites. My spreadsheet even keeps track of site differences in ABs to identify where outliers are. I take these numbers and place them into CVRC. Having just 10-team leagues, neither site provides a standard list to compare against. Also IP replaces Ks in three of four leagues. I just copy the IP numbers into the strikeout column. This is the easy part actually.

Now for the paper I take to the draft. I am a pen and paper person and not a computer person, at least at my drafts.

I have a list as Todd suggested identifying my desired mix or $30, $25, etc. players for hitting and pitching. This is new to me this year but I feel the concept is solid. I’m basically a stars and scrubs person so my slash lines will be driven by that. I will go S&S for hitting but think it will be Spread the Risk for pitching.

For hitting, I have a tiered list of all hitters. Each tier has a $5 range. For example, the $20 tier has all players valued at $18 through $22. The tiers have columns for each position with DH only players included in the OF column. I actually have two columns for OF so as to reduce dead space. I highlight DH only players. A player like Batista is in both the 3B and OF column and his name is shaded in both. That way I can remember to cross out his name twice. The tiers include dollars and are sorted in dollars and not alphabetically.

I have a second sheet [multiple actually] with each player listed alphabetically without any breakout for position. When a player is nominated I cross him off the tier list and then go to the alpha list. This list contains the players CVRC $ value, name, position, Health from BBHQ and a grade scale I assign to HR, SB and Average. I use colors to distinguish the good from the bad. It also shows the average Joe. On this list I plan on noting players to avoids and those I would really like on my team.

For pitchers, I have two similar sheets with blank lines between tiers. One sheet is for starting pitchers and the other for the MR/Closers. These sheets are sorted by CVRC $ value. They include: CVRC $, Name, role [S, MR, CL], saves or IP, Health [again from BBHQ], K/9, K/W, BPV[from BBHQ] and a favorite of mine which is the sum of ERA plus three times whip. In the formula, up to 7.5 is very good, up to 8.0 is good, and over 8.5 is avoid. Again color coding is used.

I also plan to take Todd’s player profiles for a quick lookup. They will be re-read in their entirety for the league I am drafting the night before the draft.

Finally, I have a long printed list of things to take to the draft. It includes several colored Sharpies, pencils, extra pair of reading glasses, Ricolas, sodas, etc. I update the list if I realize I am missing something. The list keeps me from forgetting something at the last moment. Before I go to bed the night before everything is packed and ready to go.

Too long and too much detail but accurate.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Trav The Ump

Re: Getting Ready for My Auction

#2 Post by Trav The Ump »

I will add, being an auction goer mostly that making sure you have the multiple position eligible guys highlighted is a big concern in only leagues. I ended up drafting Ruiz from the Jays last year to fill my DH spot not realizing one of the outfielders I had qualified for DH in my league.

Was just a waste of a pick that didn't turn out I could have placed elsewhere.

I'm a computer guy so most everything Viper mentioned I do within excel. My only thing is I don't like guys peeking over my shoulder during breaks etc so I use a tiny font because I have good eyes and color coding for guys I like/ don't like but use weird colors. No green for Carl Crawford and red for AJ Burnett sorta thing. Lol.

One thing I want to try and incorporate this year is noting guys that bid against me strongly for players as potential trade partners. This is mentioned all over the place but I have yet to ever get in the habit of doing it.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

my league is UTIL. The thing you need to watch there is there are eight DH only player who can only fill the UT slot. If one of the four $10 tier players last until the end game approaches, it is possible that only three teams will have an open slot. If there are three players left and only two teams with the UT slot open, they both become $1 players. Realize that my league has no bench also. This makes it critical to know who has which positions filled.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by SteveB »

Sounds like your really organized. For me it is too much busy work at the draft my brain works much better when i just kick back and watch other drafters thinking about my next turn. I usually just have a one page teired list that i cross off as i go. I also used to print the one page sheets that MB had which showed all position starters, back ups, and a few higher level minors at the bottom. I would mainly keep those in my bag unless i needed to reference something. I don't use computers on draft day my main in person draft does not allow them so in addition to the prep you talk about i look up DL list morning of and glance at transactions.

Trav The Ump

#5 Post by Trav The Ump »

Yah, we're no bench too. Definitely makes it imperative to keep track of whose DH spot is filled and who can still swap a guy in or out of there.