Trading strategy - giving up a bit too much for a 1st deal?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
johnd2442

Trading strategy - giving up a bit too much for a 1st deal?

#1 Post by johnd2442 »

One of Todd's earlier responses of FACT or MYTH kind of motivated this post. I've heard in the past that sometimes it might not be a bad idea to give a bit too much up in a first deal of the year (or first deal when just joining a league) that is inconsequential to show the rest of the league that you're approachable. Is this a myth? It seems like it has some merit, but at the same time, it also seems kind of unnecessary. It might grease the skids, so to speak, to get some trade talk going, but that could be the extent of it.

Anyone else with thoughts on this strategy?

cwk1963

Re: Trading strategy - giving up a bit too much for a 1st deal?

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

For me it's a myth. You can show you're approachable just by being active in the league and making a lot of inquiries to many of the other owners yourself. I wouldn't want to get the reputation off the bat as being the one to overpay in a trade - even if it was inconsequential.

50 Desert Eagles

#3 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

A good way to test waters is wait a week into the season and take one of your over performing mid level players and offer him up to every team in the league in private emails, then they know you atleast are interested in chating/trading/bsing. Or even after the draft, email all teams and say your looking to deal for a OF or 2B and you have extra SP's or whatever to deal.....it gets the idea out anyway, I like to dangle players to start the conversation.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

This is actually an idea first championed by none other than Jason Grey.

It has some merit, but is completely league dependent.

I always think the best deals are those that help you more than perceived, making it look like the other guy is the winner.

The bottom line is it is really league dependent. Every league has its own culture.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

johnd2442

#5 Post by johnd2442 »

you know, Todd, now that you write that, i think i DO remember Jason's article way back in the day about it. so that is probably where i got this idea from. maybe even just doing *some* low key/under the radar deal is a good sign.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

One of Jason's ideas in the article was that you WANT people to come to you to trade with (especially if they are thinking they will get a good deal as Todd suggested)

There is one place where you CAN make this happen and have it work to your advantage - in leagues where you have a limited number of keepers and you have more than you can keep you obviously can trade two or three good players for one who is a better keep than any of the ones you are trading.

As I said in an earlier response to another question - if you are having trouble trading esp in a new league, offer someone two players for their one.....if they don't bite then reluctantly (at least you want it to seem reluctant) offer a third player out of the blue - this will often lead to getting a deal done you would have been happy to propose in the first place.

Another strategy is to find a very undervalued player or good minor league that you really want but the other team will not find so valuable - offer to trade them a really good player for a virtual stiff and get this undervalued player or minor leaguer added into the deal.

One of the guys in my league will say.....well we are close to a deal but my partner doesn't really want to trade this guy ......or my partner doesnt think we are getting quite enough - both approaches work well - especially with teams that don't realize that he doesn't even HAVE a partner.

Trav The Ump

#7 Post by Trav The Ump »

I'd say in my fantasy hockey and baseball experiences the best way is to be always talking to the other owners. Via text, email, phone calls, MSN...whatever it is. The teams that aren't active don't have a pulse for the league, I live three hours south of the majority of my fellow league mates so dropping an email and seeing "whats happening" may let you find out a guy is down on someone or willing to pack it in a week or two before everyone else. Over the long haul this pays off way more and also makes your time in the league more enjoyable I find.

Wrigley

#8 Post by Wrigley »

One upside to "losing" your first trade is that you'll receive plenty of offers.......the downside is that everyone will now try and take advantage of you.

Boner

#9 Post by Boner »

Wrigley wrote:the downside is that everyone will now try and take advantage of you.
whats wrong with that? i notice a lot of people react poorly to a low ball offer. dont be that guy.