Help with keepers!

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
jkadagio

Help with keepers!

#1 Post by jkadagio »

12 team, mixed league, standard 5x5 roto.

Have to have my keepers in by Sunday. The guys below are either no brainers, or I'm considering them. Next to each player is the round/pick I will have to give up to keep said player.

Also, if it makes any difference, I have the 1.02 pick in the upcoming draft. No players from the first 3 round of last years draft can be kept. Closers are hard to acquire in this league, so I'm thinking I may keep Bell/Nathan/Perez and have one of the best group of closers.

RD 18 Matt Latos
RD 17 Adam LaRoche
RD 16 Travis Snider
RD 15 Aroldis Chapman
RD 14 Mark Reynolds
RD 12 Mike Stanton or Chris Perez or Joe Nathan
RD 11 Adam Jones
RD 10 Adam Lind
RD 8 Heath Bell
RD 7 Z Greinke or Jason Werth

In RD 12 I could keep any or all of those guys, they'd just bump up rounds. So as an example, I could keep Stanton/Perez/Nathan @ 12,11,10 and cut Jones and Lind loose. I'm also thinking I may look to trade Grienke for a player and/or picks and keep Werth.

Sorry for the long read....any help or thoughts appreciated.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Help with keepers!

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

How many can you keep?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

jkadagio

#3 Post by jkadagio »

I can keep as many as I want, with the stipulation I mentioned that I give up the RD/pick on any keepers.

Edit to add: To give anyone an idea of what happens with closers in this league, I went back and reviewed last years draft and 13 closer were kept or drafted in rounds 3 thru 7. That gives some perspective on why I'd keep Bell @ rd 8 and likely Perez/Nathan in the 10-12 round range. I think all three of these guys could finish as top 12 closers in 2011, and would certainly cost a higher pick to re-acquire if I didn't keep them.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by SteveB »

With the exception of Bell, Latos and Werth I think most of the other players listed are at value or could probably be gotten back for cheaper round wise.

What i wanted to focus on though was the idea of keeping 3 closers. I understand that its easy to just keep three and fill in your saves
as done but there is a lot of closer value out there that will probably go undrafted or very late in your draft.

You have a lot of closers who are either new , coming back from injuries, or in a closer by committee approach. Just off the top of my head
Dodgers-Broxton (complete meltdown in 2010 is he hiding injury? Kuo waiting in wings)
Twins--Nathan returning from serious injury with Capps in the wings
Blue Jays - Francisco? lots of P with closer exp
White Sox - Matt Thornton with Chris ale knocking
Pirates - Joel Hanrahan vs Evan Meek
Braves - Jonny Venters vs Craig Kimbrel
Cardinals - Ryan Franklin secure but is 38 and not dominant with Jason Motte in the wings
Mariners-- Aardmas not healthy and League waiting in the wings
A's-- Reports of Bailey being slightly hurt but with Fuentes on the team how long will he be allowed to struggle
Rangers - Netfali Feliz being moved to the rotation?

that was with me just barely thinking about the closer positions. I think there is a full 10 other teams at least that have similar questions.

My point is i wouldn't be giving up decent round picks with so many saves will be gotten for free. I would keep Bell as he is secure and solid.
Just because other owners in your league overvalue the save doesn't mean you have to. In fact that affords you a great trading chance.
See if anyone else wants some saves and maybe get better round 10-15 type keepers or some earlier draft picks.

jkadagio

#5 Post by jkadagio »

Steve, Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the perspective. I agree that Bell is a lock to keep of my closers. That being said, I agree with you that the state of closers is in flux right now and I could probably add some speculative/closers in waiting later. However, I don't know that those adds fit well with the draft picks I'll likely have, if that makes sense. I may not have many/any picks in rounds 14-18 (because of keepers), where I would see those types of guys as value. With this league, most will be gone by then. So do I gamble on getting those types of guys you mention later in that round 13-18 range (and lets be honest, none of those guys has a job today) or go with the relatively known quantities of Nathan/Perez only a few rounds earlier (kept as rd 10-12).

Edit to add: regarding trading, I have not had much luck in this league lately. I am a wheeler dealer type, and like to be very active, but it seems I have done one too many deals that worked out very favorably for me over the years that most guys pause long and hard before making any deals with me....

Boner

#6 Post by Boner »

personally i would keep all of those guys 'cept werth and lind. i would want to keep jones if you can.