Prospects in Spring training

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
IronMarshal

Prospects in Spring training

#1 Post by IronMarshal »

How do Brandon Belt, Julio Teheran, Jordan Lyles, Juan Francisco, Jarrod Parker and Juan Miranda look in Spring Training?

Do any of them have a shot at significant playing time?

Thanks

Captain Hook

Re: Prospects in Spring training

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

IronMarshal wrote:How do Brandon Belt, Julio Teheran, Jordan Lyles, Juan Francisco, Jarrod Parker and Juan Miranda look in Spring Training?

Do any of them have a shot at significant playing time?

Thanks
Teheran is unlikely to be in Atlanta - maybe very late in the year

Parker looks very good but coming off missing a year will start in the minors - since the Diamondbacks will contend only for cellar dweller I don't see why they would bring him until late

Lyles has been inconsistent in spring appearances but has a lot of potential and the easiest route to more innings of those pitchers

Now for the hitters -

Juan Francisco could make the Reds roster as a bench player and would thus not have much value THIS year - I am not quite as high on him as others but he can hit for power - maybe 2012 is the year (or Rolen could get injured)

The one player you REALLY want from this list is Brandon Belt - he has looked terrific in spring training (after a great 2010). It is hard to see him making the team out of spring training given they have too many players already under contract - on talent and production he might make the lineup right now. But Huff is hitting well although he could go to the outfield if/when there was an opening.

I think the Giants need an injury and a trade to help them make the move but I would not be surprised to see Belt in San Francisco by June

For long term value, Belt is the second best hitter among NL prospects today

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Lyles just finished two shutout innings against the Orioles striking out three - the last one Vlad on a high off speed pitch that followed a high fast ball :D

IronMarshal

#4 Post by IronMarshal »

Thanks Perry.
I like Belt and Parker alot. I thought Lyles might be a play this year. Francisco? With the lack of quality depth I have looked at him and Alvarez for a few years (actully had Alvarez two years ago, but couldn't justify keeping him due to a great list of keepers).
Wasn't sure how far away Teheran was from the show.

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

Teheran should be starting in ATL in 2012
Parker should be starting in AZ in 2012
either could get a cup of coffee later this year

Francisco will likely make the team this year but as part time player has no value (unless reallllly deep NL league)

Lyles will be pitching in Houston this year - no way right now to know how much

Belt will be up but it could be April, June or September